The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site to walk the puppy in the Lakes

+2
burlingtonboaby
Sally
6 posters

Go down

A site to walk the puppy in the Lakes Empty A site to walk the puppy in the Lakes

Post by Sally Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:21 pm

Hi everyone - I’m already doing my own research but thought someone on here may have a suggestion.

I now have a cockerpoo puppy joining me on my travels. He’s currently 6 months old. I’m looking for a campsite in the Lake District (private, CMC, C&CC, CL, CS) that’s open in December, has hard standing and EHU, and most importantly has a walk (or walks) from the site, suitable for a puppy, to last an hour, circular or there and back.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you
Sally
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

A site to walk the puppy in the Lakes Empty Re: A site to walk the puppy in the Lakes

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:39 pm

We had a week at the Coniston park coppice , (2016) lots of woodland walks and paths down to the waters edge at Coniston water, you might need levellers on some of the pitches
Maisie had a great time with lots of other dogs, sadly she passed in 2017, Tag hasn't been there yet.
Page 173 in the CAMC sites directory.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

A site to walk the puppy in the Lakes Empty Re: A site to walk the puppy in the Lakes

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:50 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:We had a week at the Coniston park coppice , (2016) lots of woodland walks and paths down to the waters edge at Coniston water, you might need levellers on some of the pitches
Maisie had a great time with lots of other dogs, sadly she passed in 2017, Tag hasn't been there yet.
Boaby

Nice site, also can walk along waterse dge into Coniston and its open in December too.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:34 am

Coniston would be my recommendation as well.  It's a few years since we have used it when we found some of the pitches un-level and wet in the rain.  Haven't been there in the winter but in season it was busy.  From mid-Mar the CAMC site at Borrowdale will be open which is a favourite of ours and has easy access to Derwent Water and excellent walks
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:48 am

Not been to the Coniston site. We've been to Braithwaite Village a few times and the facilities are very good, hard standing is flat and there are several circular walks from the door. It's open all year AFAIK.

Having thought about it a bit more, some sections of the walks are on quiet roads and you may encounter farm animals.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:48 pm

I've not been to the Keswick C&CC site because I'm not a C&CC member but I've seen it and it appears to have an envious position on Derwent Water in Keswick and is open in Dec.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:13 pm

Askit wrote:Not been to the Coniston site. We've been to Braithwaite Village a few times and the facilities are very good, hard standing is flat and there are several circular walks from the door. It's open all year AFAIK.

Having thought about it a bit more, some sections of the walks are on quiet roads and you may encounter farm animals.
It’s a while since I’ve been to Braithwaite Village, it was pre-puppy. I’m trying to picture the walking around there.  I remember the main entrance opened onto the road (obviously).
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:16 pm

Sally wrote:
It’s a while since I’ve been to Braithwaite Village, it was pre-puppy. I’m trying to picture the walking around there.  I remember the main entrance opened onto the road (obviously).
We stayed there last year and I really can’t recall any off road walking direct from the site but, there again, I wasn’t looking for it. Maybe Google maps/Earth will help.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:17 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:We had a week at the Coniston park coppice , (2016) lots of woodland walks and paths down to the waters edge at Coniston water, you might need levellers on some of the pitches
Boaby
The Coniston site does look nice. I’ve never carried or used levellers but the reviews suggest you can often find your own pitch, so that would be helpful.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:59 am

Sally wrote:
The Coniston site does look nice. I’ve never carried or used levellers but the reviews suggest you can often find your own pitch, so that would be helpful.

Not all pitches are on a sloop Sally, the site is spread out throughout the woods, you pick your own spot, the further down you go .nearer the lake you are, think they had a good shop, however, stock up before you go ( if you go) .

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 am

Sally wrote:

There is a fenced path along the rear of the site with access gates at either end, one takes you into the village (and the pub) and, via some road, straight walks to the gallery at Thornthwaite or force crag mine. The other gate is the advertised dog walk and takes you towards Portinscale and Keswick, both on and off road with well used paths. One section occasionally has cows in the field.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down