The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm not inclided to use TyneTunnel ever again

+7
Tinwheeler
Askit
Cymro
bikeralw
Kingham
Bilbobaggins
Relaxez-Vous
11 posters

Go down

I'm not inclided to use TyneTunnel ever again Empty I'm not inclided to use TyneTunnel ever again

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:09 pm

We recently had a few days in Northumberland and expected that the TomTom satnav would route us through the Tyne Tunnel.so at Durham services I used my mobile to purchase 2 credits, for northbound then for a week later for southbound.. As it happened TomTom routed us across a bridge because I'd previously set it to avoid toll roads.

Arriving back there's a £60 penal notice waiting for me. I appealed and have just received their reply. It seems like I must have typed in one letter of our Reg number incorrectly. How was I to know using a mobile phone. If I'd used my desktop PC I am sure I would have noticed.

I'm not inclined to use the TTunnel ever again, I don't need this stress, I'll continue to use roads without tolls.

Anyone else aversed to using toll roads and tunnels?

Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

I'm not inclided to use TyneTunnel ever again Empty Re: I'm not inclided to use TyneTunnel ever again

Post by Bilbobaggins Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:33 pm

We used Tyne tunnel last year, management has blue badge so we saved the toll cost, but had to pull into a laybye to have our details checked and recorded, chose to return via A1.

Going to Abbey Wood cmc at end of next month as we are attending an event in Central London, will, need to pay ULEZ within a couple of days of trip in and out of site, and have to to pay for Dartford crossing online, very stressful and not something I would do through choice. Preferred tge old system when crossing Forth Bridge...wind window down at toll booth, hand over half a crown to a real person and drive on up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

I'm not inclided to use TyneTunnel ever again Empty Re: I'm not inclided to use TyneTunnel ever again

Post by Kingham Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:01 pm

Before moving to SW Scotland, I lived in NE England and was a regular user of the Tyne Tunnel, until 2017 when I bought my Kingham. 

Due to the fact that I carry sea kayaks on the roof, their height rules classed me as Heavy Goods and they wanted me to pay accordingly.

Fair to say my Kingham has never been under the River Tyne.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:35 pm

Having used the tunnel one way several weeks ago and paid online by phone once we got to our destination, I find it hard to see how you could have made a mistake typing in your reg. Just the same as when using a PC, details of your vehicle appear on the screen for confirmation before you go to the pay page. In my case PEUGEOT WHITE 3.5 TONS AND UNDER. If I'd entered the wrong reg number it would be pretty obvious if anything other than that was shown.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:17 am

Relaxez-Vous wrote:We recently had a few days in Northumberland and expected that the TomTom satnav would route us through the Tyne Tunnel.so at Durham services I used my mobile to purchase 2 credits, for northbound then for a week later for southbound.. As it happened TomTom routed us across a bridge because I'd previously set it to avoid toll roads.

Not sure I understand this. If you went across a bridge, rather than using the tunnel, why were you penalised? Or was there also a charge for the bridge, for which your tunnel ticket would also have worked (if you'd typed it correctly)?

But I agree with others that it's a right palaver to register for such things as the London congestion charge. They want all sorts of info to set it up, annually. Like Bilbobaggins, I used to have fun at the Severn Bridge when it wasn't free, seeing how many shrapnel coins I could use, and from how far inside the car I could chuck them into the collecting scoop at the toll booth!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

nuevoboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:52 pm

Our friends in Dublin explained tolls as their reason for not using local motorways, it appears they were initially made to fund the building but never stopped (sound familiar rolleyes)

Thankfully one of the first things our much maligned SNP government did, when elected in Scotland, was remove the tolls from all our bridges.

Last edited by Askit on Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Slaphead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:28 pm

Tolls on the Tamar Bridge are likely to rise again soon having already gone up in January this year. 60 years ago it opened and we're still funding it with tolls.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:26 pm

We were once going to Hull for the ferry.

Satnav wanted us to via Doncaster and join motorway. Bear in mind were in N Norfolk!

Overrulled it got to Humber BRIDGE, £1:50! 

It had avoid tolls selected!!!! hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:30 pm

My parents lived just north of the Tyne Tunnel and my Uncle just south so used it a lot but that was before my motor homing days.  They all moved around circa 2007 so haven't used the tunnel since as the western bypass is much quicker if heading north.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:36 am

We traveled from Bruges to Holland through a toll tunnel 6km long, fully lit, duel carriageway reached the toll booth where a cheerful Dutch lady said, good morning, welcome to the Nederland's that will be 5 euro please.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:48 pm

Cymro, we used the Tyne Tunnel for our southbound trip home. I paid for two trips using the tunnel, £2.20 x2. The unused credit for the northbound journey where Tomtom took us across a bridge will remain that, unused. Going southbound I wanted to call at B&Q in Wallsend near the tunnel. It was to buy some plastic trunking which they had in stock. Probably in the next 6 months our ISP will be bringing optical fibre to the house and I'll want to re-site the new modem.

bikeralw, you raise an interesting suggestion, that I may have entered my vehicle reg details correctly. I'd say generally when you do something like this for the first time you tend to concentrate more. We were parked up in Durham A1 services having sandwiches we'd just bought, we were not in any rush. Having not done something like this before with my mobile I was taking care.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:48 pm

On the UK Gov website checking for MOT status, I've just checked the vehicle registration that I apparently inputted incorrectly when using my mobile to pay for a couple of trips through the Tyne Tunnel.
Was my incorrect vehicle reg also a 2019 Peugeot Boxer?

No vehicle registration matches what I inputted. It seems reasonable that their system should have picked this up, someone paying for Tyne Tunnel trips with a none existent registration.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aethelric Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:52 pm

Many years ago I used the Tyne Tunnel regularly. I was a nightmare if someone broke down in the tunnel.  They could not coast out, only coast down into the middle and stay until a tow vehicle came.  Stationary traffic were stuck behind them in a fog of exhaust fumes.  Only two lanes, so getting the tow vehicle in was right palaver.  I hated that tunnel.
Aethelric
Aethelric

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum