The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEED NEW GAS BOTTLE IN FRANCE

3 posters

Go down

NEED NEW GAS BOTTLE IN FRANCE Empty NEED NEW GAS BOTTLE IN FRANCE

Post by darrynb Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:05 pm

Hello!

I’m currently in France and both my red and blue gas bottles have ran out. Pervious owner said the back up blue was full but it isn’t.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement which fits?
darrynb
darrynb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

NEED NEW GAS BOTTLE IN FRANCE Empty Re: NEED NEW GAS BOTTLE IN FRANCE

Post by IanH Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:50 pm

NEED NEW GAS BOTTLE IN FRANCE Img_2433
Here's my solution, and freely and easily available all over EU, esp France as they're French!
You will need a regulator as well if you take this route
In future, look at the ally ring around the calor neck. is it the empty eight of the bottle in pounds and ounces, yes really, in 2023..
Weight the bottle, subtract this figure and that's how much gas is inside.
Gas weighs 550g per litre to your 6Kg bottle holds circa 11lts.
These Campingaz ones are 2.75Kg of butane so circa 6 lts

As you won't have my wooden stand, just buy one bottle, hide the empty one somewhere in the van and put the new wee one where my lower one is
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:49 pm

If you intend to go to France often then buy a  French gas bottle. Intermarché will sell you one and you can buy butane or propane. Both can be bought with an outlet which is identical to a UK butane thread. As you are already in France you will probably have to buy a French propane regulator but when you return you can get a converter that adapts the French propane to the UK style POL thread so that your red bottle regulator will fit the French bottle. Please don't use the blue bottle regulator on a French Propane bottle as butane and propane regulators have different delivery pressures.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:41 am

That will certainly work for the OP now Ron. But you can't replace a French bottle, for example. In Spain...
Campingaz is available EU wide which is why it's our European gas. The Calor propane is Europe backup if all else fails, but is the UK gas for the odd time we use the van in Uk

I see your word often, sorry missed that! However, the rest is correct up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:15 am

Many of us use a ferry or train to France as the entry point to Europe. French bottles also come in many shapes and sizes. With a bit of planning you can swap your French bottle without wasting too much gas and far more cheaply than buying Camping Gaz. And the low deposit on a French bottle makes them almost throwaway items if you need the space for, say a Spanish bottle - or even better a Safefill if your projected years of use justify the front end cost. But that doesn't help the OP in his current situation. If I was starting now I'd be going down some form of refillable bottle route. I still have a part full 907 that was my backup for 2 butane 4.5s from caravan days. I normally take either 2 6kg propane or 1 6kg and 1 13kg, the latter being Calor or Butagaz propane depending on cylinder contents. The 6kg can be whipped out easily for the Cadac as required and is my reserve. I know that 4 weeks use in summer, mostly on sites, will need a total of about 6kg of gas and plan accordingly. But refillables takes away the guesswork and 2 X 6kg would be ideal. I guess that for a smaller locker it would be 1 X 6kg and 1 smaller one.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:57 pm

So. Some of us have offered help to the OP so where is their response????? 
Did they get gas, if so how??

That annoys me!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Paulmold, Tinwheeler and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: