The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Isn’t solar power brilliant

+2
Dbvwt
FreelanderUK
6 posters

Go down

Isn’t solar power brilliant  Empty Isn’t solar power brilliant

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:35 am

What’s not to love about solar power and an inverter powering your airfryer for your morning bacon buttie and kettle for your coffee hugegrins up!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Isn’t solar power brilliant  Empty Re: Isn’t solar power brilliant

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:43 pm

I did pick your brains a while back Chris but can’t find the thread. I think I know the answer to this (no!) but I’d love to run an air fryer off grid with my 160W of solar and single 120AH battery.
The Ninja I use at home wouldn’t be an option but I’m wondering about these cheap low watt ones? My dad has the same one as you and despite my initial concerns it is brilliant and compact enough for my van.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:51 pm

The one I use is a 900watt one from Asda, it has a variable power adjustment and a temperature sensor so it kicks in and out , used it for 15 minutes this morning for the bacon and used about 13 amps in total, used the other night to cook a garlic bread baguette cut into pieces so did to cooks then just placed it all in to warm up before the meal, it’s the 1.5L size

Male

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:09 pm

Sounds like a great idea.

Can anyone post more info about the inverter, ie what type and power o/p, also how do I connect it up. I have single 110a battery and 120w solar?

Wife would like to run travel hairdryer, not really bothered about the cooking side of things.

When off grid.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:21 pm

If you don't mind I'd just like to relate our alternative experiences.

Adequate solar harvesting is essential for longer term camping without EHU.

When Aerifier's came into vogue a few months ago we looked in detail (even visited Currys) at their potential use in the home and in the van and determined that they could not emulate our cooking requirements in either and that they would take up too much space to store. We do travel a lot with a friend who uses an airfrier extensively in her van (when on EHU) but still uses the built in appliance as well.

In the van we use the gas hob every day, at the least for the kettle in the morning (I'm not allowed to use the electric ring in case I shatter the glass lid for a third time!). It takes two to three minutes to boil. We cook meals in the van all year round using all three gas hobs, the grill, the oven and a bbq as appropriate - six weeks of cooking like that will consume about 1 litre of LPG, last time I topped up it was £0.85 per litre.

We love breakfast snacks and the occasional brunch. Frying the bacon for a butty on the hob or bbq only takes a couple of minutes.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

rgermain and Spoonvet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:52 pm

Peter, I can't agree more and as long as LPG is available at the pump then that is also how I will continue although one of these below has proven the test of time over and over… if the weather permits.

One point I will make though is that Air fryers are here to stay rather than being a fad, I use the one at home frequently and I would love one in the van if my power would allow which unfortunately I don’t think it will. Sorry Richard, I don’t think 120W will be enough although maybe for the hairdryer??
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:10 pm

I love those little gas stoves.  

Ten years ago we stayed for a month with my son in a serviced apartment in Nanjing, China.  Breakfast was included in the service and the chefs had a bank of four of those stoves to cook eggs and other stuff that was cooked to order.

I carry this:

so that I can use the cadac safari chef bbq/stove remotely from the van if desired.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:12 pm

I am glad I installed the solar and inverter it’s more than paid for its self since I installed it all in saving on electric costs on sites, we are on our 28th day away from home at 5 different temporary holiday sites and had electric hook up for 3 days as it was included in a stop over we did , electric kettle used every day numerous times , microwave used 2/3 times a week , airfryer used 2/3 times a week , only used gas heating water and running fridge but that’s had a few days on the inverter, left Home with full tank of gas ,just topped up and cost £14.89 for 28 days, we have used the oven twice and the hob for 2 days , most of the cooking has been on the charcoal bbq, microwave oven and airfryer, we have only eaten out twice for evening meals and tonight will be the 3rd time , I even used the bbq to cook pasty and chips for the wife while I had cheese burgers

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:15 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:What’s not to love about solar power and an inverter powering your airfryer for your morning bacon buttie and kettle for your coffee hugegrins up!

Did you forget the butter scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:25 pm

Chris, a Weber Go Anywhere if I’m not mistaken, great charcoal BBQ or is that the electric version hugegrins
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:26 pm

Yes a go anywhere charcoal 👍 I even had a table made for it up!

Male

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:32 pm

Whole chicken and also shoulder of lamb were done to perfection on mine. 
Indirect cooking for about 90 mins. 
Whole chicken in the air fryer also perfect in an hour, have you tried that yet?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:45 pm

Dbvwt wrote:Peter, I can't agree more and as long as LPG is available at the pump then that is also how I will continue although one of these below has proven the test of time over and over… if the weather permits.

One point I will make though is that Air fryers are here to stay rather than being a fad, I use the one at home frequently and I would love one in the van if my power would allow which unfortunately I don’t think it will. Sorry Richard, I don’t think 120W will be enough although maybe for the hairdryer??
Was glad we took our gas stove with us to France for 4 weeks,  week 1 the newly installed gas tank regulator decided to leak, so no lpg! Had to use stove. All sorted now on our return,  but time will tell if it lasts
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:20 pm

What a bummer Richard, hope you had a lovely time despite the problems.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jacobite Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:12 pm

Peter Brown wrote:If you don't mind I'd just like to relate our alternative experiences.

Adequate solar harvesting is essential for longer term camping without EHU.

When Aerifier's came into vogue a few months ago we looked in detail (even visited Currys) at their potential use in the home and in the van and determined that they could not emulate our cooking requirements in either and that they would take up too much space to store.  We do travel a lot with a friend who uses an airfrier extensively in her van (when on EHU) but still uses the built in appliance as well.

In the van we use the gas hob every day, at the least for the kettle in the morning (I'm not allowed to use the electric ring in case I shatter the glass lid for a third time!).  It takes two to three minutes to boil.  We cook meals in the van all year round using all three gas hobs, the grill, the oven and a bbq as appropriate - six weeks of cooking like that will consume about 1 litre of LPG, last time I topped up it was £0.85 per litre.

We love breakfast snacks and the occasional brunch.  Frying the bacon for a butty on the hob or bbq only takes a couple of minutes.
Pretty much our exact routine too Peter. We do have an AirFryer that only comes with us on those trips we have booked on site with EHU.  up!
The Jacobite
The Jacobite

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jacobite Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:20 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:What’s not to love about solar power and an inverter powering your airfryer for your morning bacon buttie and kettle for your coffee hugegrins up!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I read your thread about the awesome experience you had using Solar during the recent spell of great weather. I have 200W solar and thinking longer trips off grid would have me consider hooking up an inverter and taking the AirFryer. Definitely something to think about, although the fryer is 1400W, so maybe need to downgrade that or get a suitable inverter. My only concern there is draining batteries too quickly, lots to think about!   
The Jacobite
The Jacobite

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:14 pm

Dbvwt wrote:What a bummer Richard, hope you had a lovely time despite the problems.
Thanks David. Was not expecting that to fail. Think I found out also why the Shurflo pump stopped working, it got hot, I didn't know it had a thermal cut out. I have now repositioned it away from the water heater boiler.

Yes we had a lovely time, despite the trip in the Pompier van to hospital! looking at having a second break in September, what's not to like at campsites with ehu at 15e a night smile!. Just the price of taking the dog puts you off a bit doggy.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:34 pm

The Jacobite wrote:

The weather has been pretty bad this trip with rain most days and a lot of cloud cover but the solar has kept us going very well, when I get home tomorrow I will post the solar graph showing what day captured the most power, I thin k we have had 3 days where we did not get to float for the battery, I am now considering carrying a 200w portable solar panel so I can run the fridge of the solar all the time

Male

The Jacobite likes this post

Back to top Go down