The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery Puzzle

+10
Julie Read
Appretice
handiyman
blueeyes
baz77
glyne lock
The Bargee
FreelanderUK
Paulmold
Apple
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Battery Puzzle Empty Battery Puzzle

Post by Apple Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:21 pm

Whilst off grid last weekend my low vehicle battery went off after 2 nights. I checked the gauges and the vehicle battery gauge was showing marginally under 13v, the leisure battery showing 14+ volts. The van started and everything was working as it should. 

It's now been parked on the drive for the last week without an electrical hookup and on going to the van this morning exactly the same thing happened again with everything working correctly. The vehicle battery is only 1 month old, I don't know the age of the leisure battery but as seen from the photo the green stripe would indicate that it's OK. I measured the voltage across the terminals and the result matched that of the Sargent display in the van

Would be grateful if anyone can offer advice as to why the low vehicle battery alarm is sounding and possible remedy. This fault does not repeat when on EHU.

Many thanks for any help and apologies for my photo editing skills as try as I may I can't turn the battery photo through 180 degrees
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Apple
Apple
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Battery Puzzle Empty Re: Battery Puzzle

Post by Paulmold Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:31 pm

Perhaps solar is only charging leisure battery? Not sure why you've posted photo of leisure battery , that appears to be holding voltage OK.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:41 pm

There have been reports of battery alarms going of because the Van control panels is set to Peugeot, this has a lower alarm setting, go into the set up menu and alter van to Fiat which gives a higher voltage setting and should stop the false alarms

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

glyne lock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:43 pm

I get spurious low voltage warnings on both batteries. I never believe any of the Sargent gauges. Fortunately I can turn the whole thing off most of the time because almost all functions are bypassed. Just have to turn it on briefly after a complete shut down to get the step working, then it stays turned off.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:41 pm

the first check is to go into the settings on the control in your picture
it needs to be taken off Peugeot and put on fiat
check the battery amps are set to what the new battery is
because you disconnected the power it may have gone back to the factory settings and not what you need it set to
the 14.9 volts in the picture was that from mains charge or solar as it should only be 14.8 volts max and at 15 volts will turn off the control
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton xl

AutoSleepy_Don, brianf and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by baz77 Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:04 pm

OP doesn't say if his van is a Peugeot or Fiat, I have a Warwick xl based on a Peugeot, should I set mine to Fiat on the control panel?
baz77
baz77

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:10 pm

On the fiat setting the low voltage warning is lower and is what you also need to set a Peugeot van on
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

baz77 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by blueeyes Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:22 pm

I had the very same problem recently. The answer was that one of the 12v 20a fuses had blown. 
I think there are two fuses, one for the positive and one for the negative. 
Replacing the fuse solved my problem so it’s worth a check. 
Paul
blueeyes
blueeyes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Pete F likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by handiyman Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:56 pm

Apple wrote:Whilst off grid last weekend my low vehicle battery went off after 2 nights. I checked the gauges and the vehicle battery gauge was showing marginally under 13v, the leisure battery showing 14+ volts. The van started and everything was working as it should. 

It's now been parked on the drive for the last week without an electrical hookup and on going to the van this morning exactly the same thing happened again with everything working correctly. The vehicle battery is only 1 month old, I don't know the age of the leisure battery but as seen from the photo the green stripe would indicate that it's OK. I measured the voltage across the terminals and the result matched that of the Sargent display in the van

Would be grateful if anyone can offer advice as to why the low vehicle battery alarm is sounding and possible remedy. This fault does not repeat when on EHU.

Many thanks for any help and apologies for my photo editing skills as try as I may I can't turn the battery photo through 180 degrees
I had similar issue. Turns out battery fuse was blown and high voltage reading is of incoming solar voltage which is higher. 
Also if you have an autosleeper van why have you got a lead acid battery as Autosleeper says they only supply Lithium Ion batteries. See page 9-10 of owners manual.
handiyman
handiyman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES EK LT
Vehicle Year : 2023

Pete F likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:58 pm

handiyman wrote:
I had similar issue. Turns out battery fuse was blown and high voltage reading is of incoming solar voltage which is higher. 
Also if you have an autosleeper van why have you got a lead acid battery as Autosleeper says they only supply Lithium Ion batteries. See page 9-10 of owners manual.

His van is 2013 so we’ll before the date AS started fitting Lithium batteries

Last edited by FreelanderUK on Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Male

brianf and glyne lock like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by handiyman Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:03 pm

FreelanderUK wrote:

His van is 2013 so we’ll before the dat AS started fitting Lithium batteries
I thought I read the battery was 1 month old ?
handiyman
handiyman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:07 pm

handiyman wrote:

That’s correct but was has AS fitting lithium batteries got to do with his as you stated

Male

glyne lock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:10 pm

handiyman wrote:
People do replace knackered batteries.

Donator
Donator

Male

glyne lock and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by handiyman Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:21 pm

Paulmold wrote:
People do replace knackered batteries.
Ok, sorry I spoke
handiyman
handiyman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:04 am

handiyman wrote:
Ok, sorry I spoke
It would had been better if you said sorry you made a mistake and was trying to help
Not all problems on different age campers are the same
The charge voltage should only go to 14.8 on mains or solar and at 15volts the control turns off
This is the reason I say on lots of post to fit a mppt controller when the camper has a ec500 or ec700 electrics if not can get a over voltage spike above 15volts and the controller turns off .the people that have said they had this problem thank you as this has helped  others to not have the same problem
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

FreelanderUK and Emma Metcalf like this post

Back to top Go down

Battery Puzzle Empty Battery Puzzle

Post by Appretice Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:46 am

I've had a similar experience lately in my 2019 Bourton. Display panel over the caravan door showed leisure battery 12.5v but vehicle battery 0.7v. I knew that couldn't be correct because the van started as normal.
Turned out that the terminals on the EM45 panel under the offside seat were burned.
I've replaced the EM45 and renewed the plug so all seems to be well now. I'll be looking for signs of overheating regularly now that I've seen what can happen when the leisure battery voltage falls to such an extent that the charge current causes overheat on the fuse panel.
I should have sensed a problem when I was getting messages from the Sargent tracking station that the voltage was low on the leisure battery and the vehicle battery but all seemed normal when I checked at the over-door panel display.
Appretice
Appretice

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Read Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:38 am

Hi, we had this trouble in our 71reg corinium duo, every thing possible was changed. It turned out to be control panel over the door which was faulty. We were told a common problem.
Julie Read
Julie Read

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Ramsgate
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:26 pm

Julie Read

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian6845 Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:54 pm

Postings refer to changing from Peugeot to Fiat what do you change to on a Mercedes base vehicle I have the same alerts and nothing wrong with the battery. Happens during the day but not at night could this be something with the solar panel causing the alert during the day.
Brian6845
Brian6845

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Battery Puzzle Empty Battery Voltage

Post by Alan Wilkes Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 am

I would check the battery voltage with a voltmeter and check it at the battery terminals. If it is low then you have a problem. I would charge up the battery at home and then disconnect it for  couple of nights and then check the battery voltage again at the terminals. If it is low then it is faulty, if it is still high then there is somthing discharging the battery.
Charge it up again and with the battery connected turn off everything in the MH and wait for 2 days then check the battery voltage again if it is still high, switch on each appliance one at a time wait 2 days and check the voltage and keep doing this to find out what is discharging the battery. The vec Battery should not discharge whilst you are parked up.
Alan Wilkes
Alan Wilkes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:30 am

Alan Wilkes wrote:I would check the battery voltage with a voltmeter and check it at the battery terminals. If it is low then you have a problem. I would charge up the battery at home and then disconnect it for  couple of nights and then check the battery voltage again at the terminals. If it is low then it is faulty, if it is still high then there is somthing discharging the battery.
Charge it up again and with the battery connected turn off everything in the MH and wait for 2 days then check the battery voltage again if it is still high, switch on each appliance one at a time wait 2 days and check the voltage and keep doing this to find out what is discharging the battery. The vec Battery should not discharge whilst you are parked up.

Please introduce yourself here

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Wilkes Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:54 am

Hi Chris
I am a Boxer AutoSleeper Symbol owner. The Charging system had modified by an "Expert" and could, and did, discharge the Veh battery. I converted it back to original and repaired it. My system is now fine.

Happy Camping
Alan
Alan Wilkes
Alan Wilkes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:55 am

Alan Wilkes wrote:Hi Chris
I am a Boxer AutoSleeper Symbol owner. The Charging system had modified by an "Expert" and could, and did, discharge the Veh battery. I converted it back to original and repaired it. My system is now fine.

Happy Camping
Alan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aethelric Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:29 pm

During the day you will be. charging from the solar panel(s).  Your leisure battery looks like a fully charged battery (maybe even over charged) on charge.  Your vehicle battery looks like a partially discharged battery on charge.  

The leisure battery probably has had zero discharge since the last time it was charged - i.e.yesterday on the solar panel.  The vehicle battery would have had a small amount of discharge overnight due to the radio, remote locking circuitry etc.

You don't mention the type of vehicle battery. 
If it is a flooded lead acid the open circuit terminal voltage will be around 12.6V. A gel or AGM battery will be around 0.2V higher.

Maybe the Sargent is expecting a different type of battery to what you have fitted and it's dipping below the alarm trigger voltage overnight.
Aethelric
Aethelric

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:24 pm

Aethelric wrote:During the day you will be. charging from the solar panel(s).  Your leisure battery looks like a fully charged battery (maybe even over charged) on charge.  Your vehicle battery looks like a partially discharged battery on charge.

PLAESE NOTE
Just because the leisure is showing 14.9 will not say it’s fully charged it’s the charge voltage from the mains or solar.charge .to test a battery voltage needs to have been taken off charge for a time a let stand 

The leisure battery probably has had zero discharge since the last time it was charged - i.e.yesterday on the solar panel.  The vehicle battery would have had a small amount of discharge overnight due to the radio, remote locking circuitry etc.

You don't mention the type of vehicle battery. 
If it is a flooded lead acid the open circuit terminal voltage will be around 12.6V. A gel or AGM battery will be around 0.2V higher.

NOTE the voltage will be 12.7 to 12.8 if fully charge and in good condition 

Maybe the Sargent is expecting a different type of battery to what you have fitted and it's dipping below the alarm trigger voltage overnight.
To test a battery for its condition needs a battery cranking amp tester and will test the amps in the battery .12.8 volts could be the voltage but the battery may now be only charging half the cranking amps
What has been said by this person is no help for the fault with the the electrics the person has that started this post for help
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next