The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sat Navs

+8
Dave Gee
Dave 418
v8oholic
FreelanderUK
Caraman
BobK
MJF
Brian Hill
12 posters

Go down

Sat Navs Empty Sat Navs

Post by Brian Hill Tue May 30, 2023 1:07 pm

My Snooper has packed up and their customer services / tech support is useless and not contactable. I am thinking Avtex or Garmin. Anyone have any experience / view?
Brian Hill
Brian Hill

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Sat Navs Empty Re: Sat Navs

Post by MJF Tue May 30, 2023 1:48 pm

Recently bought a TomTom GO Classic 5 Inch UK, ROI & Full Europe from Argos for £120 and it's seen us all round Europe with no issues.
MJF
MJF

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:24 am

I have experience of both TomTom and Garmin ....    TomTom I feel is a lot slicker with their directions, especially on roundabouts whereas Garmin seem just that bit slower and I often find I'm exiting from previous knowledge, before it actually comes up with the instruction.   Not for the first time have I had to do a complete circuit due to late directions. However I do like that Garmin have the full Europe postal codes.
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:30 am

Over 20+ years we've had a variety of satnavs but when the last one packed up I started using my i-phone - Google Maps, Waze or Apple Maps.  I quite like Waze as it warns you when exceeding the speed limit.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:44 am

I use a Garmin camper in the WXL and a Garmin Drive in one of the cars, I also use the Garmin smart link app on my phone and tablet with which I can send directions or places of intrest strait to the Sat nav also works great with the out and about app and search4sites app

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:53 am

Much as I like some aspects of TomTom's presentation and use in general, their underlying maps and POIs are years out of date in places, and only updated a few times a year. It seems unlikely they will ever catch up. I normally use the built in TomTom in my van, and very successfully, but there were several occasions recently in Germany and Austria where it got completely confused by the many road changes, temporary closures and roadworks it didn't know about. In those cases I had to resort to using Google Maps to get me out of a hole and find a working route. Also, I do rely on the speed limit display quite a lot to keep within the limits. Again, it's badly out of date in places where the limits changed in 2020 or 2021. And it costs £59.95 a year to update the maps, even though they're still out of date.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:07 am

The problem with the inbuilt TomTom is that the mapping is not up to date and there is no real-time updating on traffic conditions and road closures and therefore re-routing.  The smart phone is much better.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:33 am

I have had three Garmin so far and find they work well. The latest Garmin was bought for the bigger screen and a more up to date system. Not being very tech savvy it did take me a few tries at setting it up but it’s now very user friendly. The routes it uses have only occasionally been a bit odd in choice of road sizes.
I am not sure if I would bother with the traffic feature. It took me a bit of faffing about to set it up and the two occasions we were stationary in a traffic jam it didn’t mention the hold up or offer a diversion.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:54 am

I've got a Garmin camper and I quite like it.  Was very easy to update the POI information with the Club campsites and the maps update more frequently than the TomTom in the car.

I must have been lucky as it also gives me advance warnings of hold ups (doesn't offer an alternative route though so I may need to look at the set up again)

In saying that, do you really need a SatNav.  Most folk take their phones with them and, as others have said, Google Maps will probably get you there just as easily without the need for map updates..
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Mollytardis Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:24 am

We use avtex camper sat nav, mercedes sat nav is wildly out on each occassion in italy and france.
Mollytardis
Mollytardis

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jacobite Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:26 pm

Using a 7 yr-old Navpal bought on gumtree for £5. Battery is zonked, but 100% fine on usb. Managed to update it online for £10 to the newer, camper/truck maps/software and it's been great. A lot of features, I like the layout, very quick and responsive. Couldn't be happier.  smile!
The Jacobite
The Jacobite

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:38 pm

Brian Hill wrote:My Snooper has packed up and their customer services / tech support is useless and not contactable. I am thinking Avtex or Garmin. Anyone have any experience / view?

The Avtex Camper is a Garmin with the Camp site added.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:32 am

I bought a Garmin 8 years ago, with free updates (which I do often). It's been fine - especially after I discovered how to stop its taking me down roads which my Nuevo ES 4 berth (over 10'0" high, and 8'10" wide) doesn't like. The Garmin allows me to input vehicle dimensions - including height for low bridges - and after experimenting I've found that pretending to be a coach or an artic gives the best results.

It gives information about real-time delays etc. Although less intuitive than my first satnav (a TomTom) I've found it satisfactory. Occasionally we supplement it with Google Maps on the phone.

In our more modern car, which has inbuilt satnav display (which only gets updated annually) we use Google Maps via Apple CarPlay, and that's by far the better system, albeit no Truck mode. But our van has no inbuilt satnav (the Garmin is a stick-on) so we can't use Apple CarPlay with G Maps.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:55 am

Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is definitely the way to go.  I'm surprised its not available on the later base vehicles, especially M-B.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down