The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing Window Blinds

3 posters

Go down

Replacing Window Blinds Empty Replacing Window Blinds

Post by Jon Sat May 27, 2023 2:30 pm

We have a 5 year old Corinium Duo.   The blinds in the bedroom have quite a few mould spots dotted around.  It's really strange as all the other blinds are ok.  We enquired with Autosleepers about buying new blind/flyscreen units but they say that you have to replace whole window which is nearly £1000!!! We have seen that there are companies who make new blinds/flyscreen units but wondered if anyone has any experience of changing these and can recommend any companies.
Jon
Jon

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Replacing Window Blinds Empty Re: Replacing Window Blinds

Post by Tinwheeler Sat May 27, 2023 2:40 pm

You may have already tried removing the mould spots but, if not, try applying a diluted solution of Milton and rinse afterwards. I once salvaged a set of caravan curtains in this way. 

Is it possible the issue might be caused by lack of ventilation at night?

I hope you find a way of sorting it for far less than £1k!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Sat May 27, 2023 3:28 pm

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, the pleated blinds are made of a sort of paper so impossible to clean.  You are probably correct about cause. As we have blinds closed for blackout at night we often don't have windows open & the bedroom door is shut.  We will have to start opening window & using curtains even though they are not so good for blackout.
Jon
Jon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat May 27, 2023 4:01 pm

I know what you mean, Jon, but I think you’ll find the 'paper' is more resilient than it appears. Have you anything to lose by gently trying a test dab? I don’t mean a soaking. smile!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Sat May 27, 2023 4:18 pm

I'll give it a go
Jon
Jon

Male

Tinwheeler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:22 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:You may have already tried removing the mould spots but, if not, try applying a diluted solution of Milton and rinse afterwards. I once salvaged a set of caravan curtains in this way. 

Is it possible the issue might be caused by lack of ventilation at night?

I hope you find a way of sorting it for far less than £1k!

Thank you for this suggestion Tinwheeler allthumbz

We've had problems with mould spots on all of the window and rooflight flyscreens stemming back to an issue (resolved a long time ago by AS) with water ingress and our MH being in storage. We've tried lots of online suggested remedies over the years and none worked but the diluted Milton fluid has done the trick. My eyes may deceive me but the screens also look much cleaner overall than before Whistle1

Obviously care needs to be taken to protect surrounding fabrics and anyone trying it should do a small test area first but it worked for us up!

Last edited by Askit on Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:32 pm

Askit wrote:

Thank you for this suggestion Tinwheeler allthumbz

We've had problems with mould spots on all of the window and rooflight flyscreens stemming back to an issue (resolved a long time ago by AS) with water ingress and our MH being in storage. We've tried lots of online suggested remedies over the years and none worked but the diluted Milton fluid has done the trick. My eyes may deceive me but the screens also look much cleaner overall than before Whistle1

Obviously caee needs to be taken to protect surrounding fabrics and anyone trying it should do a small test area first but it worked for us up!
That’s good to hear, Tony. 

I removed the caravan curtains before treating but that’s not a sensible option with flyscreens or blinds.

Thanks for posting smile!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down