The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Door not shutting completely on nuevo

+4
PLOUGHLIN
grahamandjenny
inspiredron
Tigerbadge
8 posters

Go down

Door not shutting completely on nuevo Empty Door not shutting completely on nuevo

Post by Tigerbadge Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:01 pm

Noticed recently that the habitation door is not completely shutting & there is about 3mm of play.
Also the door will only lock if I push it in,when I push the latch down on the door & pull the handle to open only the bottom one click up.
So am I right in thinking the spring on the top lock is broken, it’s the top latch on photo.
So will have to take all the panelling off door🤔
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Door not shutting completely on nuevo Empty Re: Door not shutting completely on nuevo

Post by inspiredron Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:47 pm

I had the same issue on my  later Nuevo which has a Hartal door. The door would close well in warm weather but not in very cold conditions when it "bounced back" to the half closed but reasonably secure position. I thought I might need new springs but it was actually the hasp adjustment. On my van there are some catches that rotate in the horizontal plane to enclose a D shaped hasp on the door frame. That has provision for adjustment into or out of the van as well as towards or away from the edge of the door. Adjusting the two hasps to get the right slam effect was a lengthy trial an error process as it is not intuitive.
Your catches are very different but they look as if they work on the same type of principle. Try moving the catches on the door to see how they move and where they click into position. There is likely to be an easy halfway click and then another where it has moved or rotated further. The hasp on the frame may need to be tightened into the van or, more likely loosened a little to allow the door mounted bolt to get past its "rollover" position. The bolts will spring open when the door handle is used.
My description is awful but hopefully will make more sense when you look at the door and the hasps on the frame.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Tigerbadge likes this post

Back to top Go down

Door not shutting completely on nuevo Empty Re: Door not shutting completely on nuevo

Post by grahamandjenny Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:18 pm

We had exactly the same problem with our 2009 Nuevo and purchased new springs from Autosleeper, the ones they supplied were much stronger than the original and although we replaced top and bottom springs the door needs to be slammed to shut properly. So we are still not completely happy.
grahamandjenny
grahamandjenny

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 11 ES
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:11 pm

grahamandjenny wrote:We had exactly the same problem with our 2009 Nuevo and purchased new springs from Autosleeper, the ones they supplied were much stronger than the original and although we replaced top and bottom springs the door needs to be slammed to shut properly. So we are still not completely happy.
Can I ask if it’s easy to strip the panels off door to get access, does the inside door handle have to come off.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:51 pm

Your door looks like a Dometic Seitz CaraD-Rplus, like the one on my Gloucester. This PDF shows the various bits of the door and how it is constructed, hope it helps.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:04 am

Possibly not relevant here so apologies but a motorhome fitter once told me that closing a van door is a 2 step process. First push the door gently to engage the first latch then with a flat hand over the handle a firm push will secure it without needing to slam it - same process inside.  Works for me every time.  
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:48 am

RML wrote:Possibly not relevant here so apologies but a motorhome fitter once told me that closing a van door is a 2 step process. First push the door gently to engage the first latch then with a flat hand over the handle a firm push will secure it without needing to slam it - same process inside.  Works for me every time.  
Rich..
And me also.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:55 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Your door looks like a Dometic Seitz CaraD-Rplus, like the one on my Gloucester. This PDF shows the various bits of the door and how it is constructed, hope it helps.

Great thanks👍
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:33 pm

Took it apart today & I presume it’s a spring missing on top latch, can’t see it anywhere.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:24 pm

I used a rubber band folded a few times as the replacement spring fitted by AS broke after a few months. Tricky to fit but lasted for a couple of years till I sold the van.
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:59 pm

Thought I would try getting 2 springs from autosleeper & price came back £53.
Are they 18 carrat gold😜 & 2-3 weeks order.
Will Stick with rubber band.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:42 am

Tigerbadge wrote:Will Stick with rubber band.
At least you can get replacements from the postie 😁
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe

Newvo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:18 pm

My friend came round with his box of springs this morning & we cut one to make it fit so all back together & working fine.
Doe’s anyone know where I can get the 4 grey caps that cover the screws on the door handle.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Thu May 18, 2023 12:21 am

I had a problem closing my door , turned out to be a small stone trapped inside the footwell .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Roundhiller Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:36 pm

I have the same problem with the Dometic CaraD door, the one of the pins on the top latch has lost its spring. I downloaded the guide, thanks Ploughlin! However, I can’t get the trim (blind panel) off to get at the latch. I got the panel loose, and removed the inner lock handle. The guide states: “the blind panel is pulled off over the inside handle”. The handle is too large to allow the panel to be pulled off around it. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.
Roundhiller
Roundhiller

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:03 pm

Hi roundhiller, I managed to get enough room to leave the inside panel on without taking the door handle off.
The blind wasn’t a problem.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roundhiller Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:50 am

Thanks Tigerbadge, I'll have another look and see if I can get to the top latch with the panel on.
Roundhiller
Roundhiller

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down