The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar Panel/SargentEC328/12v Electrical Fault

+2
FreelanderUK
les.hoyle
6 posters

Go down

Solar Panel/SargentEC328/12v Electrical Fault Empty Solar Panel/SargentEC328/12v Electrical Fault

Post by les.hoyle Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:09 pm

Am i the only one who wishes they had never bought a Autosleeper.? So many problems with a 19 plate Nuevo.  Current major problem with power keep tripping off due to solar spikes. The control panel light goes off although the pump light stays on and the pump still works. Sent PSU  EC328 to Sargent for fixed price repair had new regulator and new charger fitted and still the same problem with power shutting off when sun comes out.
Skylight mechanism flimsy broke had to be replaced. Sink drainage pipe seems to be cut too short and keep falling off causing flooding in shower. I had a 2008 Nuevo much sturdier more reliable. Wish id bought a German built motorhome now. Any help would be grateful.

Last edited by les.hoyle on Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
les.hoyle
les.hoyle

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Solar Panel/SargentEC328/12v Electrical Fault Empty Re: Solar Panel/SargentEC328/12v Electrical Fault

Post by FreelanderUK Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:15 pm

Welcome to the forum

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Solar Panel/SargentEC328/12v Electrical Fault Empty Re: Solar Panel/SargentEC328/12v Electrical Fault

Post by Cymro Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:26 pm

I'm a bit confused: your profile says that you joined the Forum in 2018. You also mentioned that you had a 2008 Nuevo (as also shown in your profile) 

But you are referred to as a new member, with a 2019 Nuevo..

Could you clarify please? Formerly a member with a different name?

Haven't heard of your EC328 problem before, so unable to comment on that I'm afraid. Hope you can sort it, and inform us. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by les.hoyle Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:06 pm

Cymro wrote:I'm a bit confused: your profile says that you joined the Forum in 2018. You also mentioned that you had a 2008 Nuevo (as also shown in your profile) 

But you are referred to as a new member, with a 2019 Nuevo..

Could you clarify please? Formerly a member with a different name?

Haven't heard of your EC328 problem before, so unable to comment on that I'm afraid. Hope you can sort it, and inform us. 

Cymro
Sorry for confusion joined in 2018 but have never posted before had a nuevo 08 have updated my profile with a 2019 Nuevo EK.
same member same name
les.hoyle
les.hoyle

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:55 pm

les.hoyle wrote:Am i the only one who wishes they had never bought a Autosleeper.? So many problems with a 19 plate Nuevo.  Current major problem with power keep tripping off due to solar spikes. The control panel light goes off although the pump light stays on and the pump still works. Sent PSU  EC328 to Sargent for fixed price repair had new regulator and new charger fitted and still the same problem with power shutting off when sun comes out.
Skylight mechanism flimsy broke had to be replaced. Sink drainage pipe seems to be cut too short and keep falling off causing flooding in shower. I had a 2008 Nuevo much sturdier more reliable. Wish id bought a German built motorhome now. Any help would be grateful.
I can’t help with your Autosleeper regrets, as I honestly love mine. However, I had the same problem with the control panel switching off with sun spikes.

I had a 100W solar panel fitted, and every time the sun popped out from behind a cloud, the panel switched off. Mine is a different panel, but I suspect the issue is the same. I had originally had fitted a PWM controller with the panel. Advice on here explained how this could be the problem and that switching to a MPPT controller would resolve it.  It did, instantly.  No issues from the day it was changed. So if they’ve replaced a PWM regulator with another, then that could well be the problem and it’s a fairly simple and relatively inexpensive thing to do. By the way, it was solved with help on here, not Sargent and not the Solar fitter.
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:40 pm

In my experience the EC328 is the most effective and reliable powers system produced by Sargent - much better than the later EC500 and EC700.

When it was first introduced circa 2012 the control panel software was version 2.20 and if a solar panel over 80w (up to the max allowed of 120W) the power would trip when subject to solar spikes. A fault was found with the control panel software and version 2.22 introduced from 2013/14 ish. Your 2019 van should have the newer software. What size is you solar panel?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by les.hoyle Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:49 pm

Sally wrote:
I can’t help with your Autosleeper regrets, as I honestly love mine. However, I had the same problem with the control panel switching off with sun spikes.

I had a 100W solar panel fitted, and every time the sun popped out from behind a cloud, the panel switched off. Mine is a different panel, but I suspect the issue is the same. I had originally had fitted a PWM controller with the panel. Advice on here explained how this could be the problem and that switching to a MPPT controller would resolve it.  It did, instantly.  No issues from the day it was changed. So if they’ve replaced a PWM regulator with another, then that could well be the problem and it’s a fairly simple and relatively inexpensive thing to do. By the way, it was solved with help on here, not Sargent and not the Solar fitter.
My solar panel was fitted from new and a built in regulator in the PSU . I don't know but i think it could be that i have an old version of a control panel mine is ec328s 2.20 and a newer version is 2.22 introduced earlier so it seems that i have an older version in a newer van.
les.hoyle
les.hoyle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by les.hoyle Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:06 pm

Peter Brown wrote:In my experience the EC328 is the most effective and reliable powers system produced by Sargent - much better than the later EC500 and EC700.

When it was first introduced circa 2012 the control panel software was version 2.20 and if a solar panel over 80w (up to the max allowed of 120W) the power would trip when subject to solar spikes.  A fault was found with the control panel software and version 2.22 introduced from 2013/14 ish.  Your 2019 van should have the newer software.  What size is you solar panel?
Hi Peter
My solar panel is 100w fitted from new with a built in regulator in the PSU I don't know why my van being a 2019 has got an old version 2.20 Do you who fits them autosleeper or Sargent ??????????????
les.hoyle
les.hoyle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:27 pm

Sargent supply a complete electrical installation including wiring harness and its fitted by AS on the production line. The original fitted control panel was branded as AS - any replacement from another source branded as Sargent.

Have you had the van from new or has it been through a dealer as a pre-owned van where the panel could have been swopped with that from another van that had a problem.

When I swopped my EC325 for an EC328 I ran with the original control panel at v2.20 for a couple of years, it was largely ok as I had an 80w panel but I did get the occasional funny so bought a new panel with v2.22. I reconned that, taking into account the cost of postage and lead time at Sargent, it was as cheap to buy a new panel from a dealer who had one in stock than to send the old one back to Sargent for software upgrade.

The control panel can be configured for either the EC325 or EC328; there is an option for the AS EC328 but I found that the generic EC328 configuration worked for me. I'm annoyed that I cant find the notes I made at the time and I no longer have that van so can't check.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:07 pm

Have to agree the the roof light lifting mechanism is unfit for purpose , not helped by the sticking rooflight seal ,
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by les.hoyle Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:54 am

Peter Brown wrote:Sargent supply a complete electrical installation including wiring harness and its fitted by AS on the production line. The original fitted control panel was branded as AS - any replacement from another source branded as Sargent.

Have you had the van from new or has it been through a dealer as a pre-owned van where the panel could have been swopped with that from another van that had a problem.

When I swopped my EC325 for an EC328 I ran with the original control panel at v2.20 for a couple of years, it was largely ok as I had an 80w panel but I did get the occasional funny so bought a new panel with v2.22. I reconned that, taking into account the cost of postage and lead time at Sargent, it was as cheap to buy a new panel from a dealer who had one in stock than to send the old one back to Sargent for software upgrade.

The control panel can be configured for either the EC325 or EC328; there is an option for the AS EC328 but I found that the generic EC328 configuration worked for me.  I'm annoyed that I cant find the notes I made at the time and I no longer have that van so can't check.
 Hi Peter
Thanks for advice had the control panel sent to sargent and had a software upgrade to V2.22 all now seams fine no tripping out when sun comes out behind a cloud on a sunny day . fingers crossed its now sorted at long last.
regards Les
les.hoyle
les.hoyle

Male

Back to top Go down