The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reliable TV aerial wanted!

+13
Peter Brown
Suppersready
Kemerton-bath
breakaleg
Paulmold
Dbvwt
groundhog
burlingtonboaby
IanH
FreelanderUK
Tinwheeler
rogerblack
The Bargee
17 posters

Go down

Reliable TV aerial wanted! Empty Reliable TV aerial wanted!

Post by The Bargee Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:30 pm

Hi.

Our new to us Kingham came with a Maxview Gazelle antenna fitted. On site near Fishguard tonight we are on par for the course: it finds 11 tv channels, half of which are not of watchable quality. The dealer says he will buy us a new one.

Our past caravans with Vision Plus directional antennas have frequently had to be replaced. The problem seems to be the electronics secreted in these aerials, outside and battered by the slipstream.

I am just not prepared to install another of these rubbish aerials. We have an old £12.00 portable traditional spiky antenna mounted on a block of wood that we used to bung on the caravan roof or sit on the grass whenever the latest Vision failed, or when the signal was too weak for the Vision. Tonight that has found 263 channels compared to the Maxview’s 11. However one of the things I am enjoying about the motorhome is the “arrive & just plug in the power and relax” thing and I don’t really want to be messing with spiky portable aerials that are difficult to store.

We don’t really want satellite because too often we can’t see the satellite.

So simple question, can anybody please  recommend a simple unpowered non electronic antenna that I can permanently mount in place of the Gazelle?
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Reliable TV aerial wanted! Empty Re: Reliable TV aerial wanted!

Post by rogerblack Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:33 pm

I'm not sure that any of the fixed ones are any good, judging by what I've read over the years.

When we used to carry a small TV, latterly replaced by a DVB stick that plugged into the laptop, I simply used a small standard loft/rooftop aerial similar to the one linked below. 

This I slotted into one of those three part sprung folding poles saved from an old garden awning which in turn slotted into a short piece of metal pipe I had fixed with jubilee clips to the rear ladder. This gave it a reasonable height and by either checking others on site or else using an app on the phone to check the nearest transmitter, I could determine whether it was vertical or horizontal and which direction to point it.

https://tinyurl.com/54xepjjd

It took less time to actually mount it on site than for me to type the above explanation. 

Having said that, we never watched much and so stopped bothering with terrestrial TV some years ago, especially since most of our camping was in France or else remote parts of Scotland with little or no signal. We used to carry a selection of DVDs to watch on the laptop, these days we just watch on our tablets, either pre-loaded or linked to site wifi or our mobile phone hotspot.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 pm

We did very similar to Roger. Our pole was clamped to the bike rack and the slim aerial head itself travelled in a bag behind the driver's seat. It was a very quick job to mount the aerial on the pole which stayed attached to the bike rack.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:09 pm

Our areial seams to work OK but what I did on recommendation from the forum was to remake all the f connections fro.m the areial to the booster and booster to the socket, any channels we do t get now we stream on the firestick

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:57 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Gain-Freeview-Aerial-Television-Black/dp/B007JPOX8O/ref=asc_df_B007JPOX8O/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309757320705&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=650832658138410860&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006957&hvtargid=pla-392235575749&psc=1

Stuck on the side of my cab, just behind door, whichever side is best, therefore horizontal in use, not intended I'm sure.

Here 105 channels, today at Burnham in an enclosed car park, surrounded by buildings, 36. All non pixellated and perfectly watchable.

Have a 

https://www.diy.com/departments/moonraker-dtv-1000-digi-pro-digital-tv-antenna-kit/5060080571963_BQ.prd?ds_rl=1272379&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v-gBhC1ARIsAOQdKY0H7xg3OQJf00hR5TEhDU91e3MPOSeGZxBTsvqD4K_e4KpBhUOXNU8aAgsnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

As well and works well but very directional, so far the wee magnetic one is outperforming it!!

The usual flying saucer things I have found to be less than useless
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:09 am

We use a Avtex aerial located outside the van where I can find a signal, the one on the Warwick is crap.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:42 am

All the fitted ones seem to be useless we just use a fire stick and watch on line. Lots of options to do that these days.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:08 am

I must be in the minority but after ripping out the rubbish flying saucer and replacing with a Vision Plus status 570 it’s been brilliant. I will add that it is connected direct to the TV with a short good quality coax cable. As mentioned, the cabling done by A/S was quite shocking at every joint/connection which seems to be a common theme on here.
As far as a freestanding compact aerial is concerned, IMO there are not many better than the Avtex STH3000 (now the STH4000 I believe). Fantastic for such a compact unit although best when powered by the TV or separate adapter.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/electric/caravan-tv/avtex-accessories/avtex-sth3000-suction-mounted-12v-24v-boosted-tv-aerial
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:22 am

I must be lucky, 3 different vans, 3 different fixed aerials and rarely have we not been able to get good quantity and quality of stations. First was Status flying saucer, second was directional Status and now Teleco omnidirectional. Only times we haven't got good reception is when the site itself is in poor reception area so then the pack of cards come out and listen to music instead.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

RogerN likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:47 am

I’m not saying that these fixed aerials are perfect but I do wonder how much is down to the installation as a whole done at the factory. 
I was able to massively improve the signal from my old flying saucer just by getting rid of the A/S cabling. Several coax plugs simply came away from the cable in my hand!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:35 am

We never got a good signal from our fitted ariel since we bought it in May 21, the only time it worked properly was the night before the first hab check where it was due to be looked at, (typical) and of course it didn't work the following day, had a whinge about it to Dave at auto sleeper and he said that most people stream these days, call me old fashioned but why bother fitting one then and selling it as a positive in the sales jargon, I do think that if fitted that it should at least work.

When we went to Willersea Tim took a look at it, remade some joints and at least it has improved greatly to what it was.

The best ariel we had was on the Elddis 115, a stick arial that was pretty good.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:15 am

I've just posted an Avtex STH3000 antenna in the For Sale section.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:49 pm

Kemerton-bath wrote:I've just posted an Avtex STH3000 antenna in the For Sale section.

Tim

I have one of these purchased from someone on here. So far it has performed very well and incorporates a signal booster powered direct from the tv via the coax cable.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:57 pm

The Bargee wrote:

Our past caravans with Vision Plus directional antennas have frequently had to be replaced. The problem seems to be the electronics secreted in these aerials, outside and battered by the slipstream.

Reliable TV aerial wanted! 20190410

There are no electronics in the status aerial it is a simple directional dipole with a plastic cover over it, I've had perfect (dependant on location) reception from Status directional aerials in three vans over twenty years.  The current van has a Teleco which is at least as good.

First of all the aerial has to receive a signal and therefore has to be in the correct orientation and direction for the most appropriate transmitter with the associated amplifier switched on (although in some cases if you are very close to a transmitter the signal swamps the receiver so the amplifier has to be switched off.

Secondly the received signal has to get to the TV and, as already mentioned, the AS TV wiring can be problematical particularly since around 2014 when they started to install passive splitters to service multiple outlets which reduced the signal at the TV to around 10% of that received.

Finally many areas of the UK that are leisure friendly are lightly populated and the terrestrial TV propagation in those areas is targeted at permanent communities rather that campsites.

Even with a good aerial, correct installation, satellite and mobile network streaming there are still location that cannot receive a service.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Paulmold, RogerN, Dbvwt and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:30 am

While you’re pondering what to get, I can definitely recommend the above. At £12 and the size of a mug of coffee, it’s cheap effective and easy to store. I’ve just been to Barnard Castle, the normal aerial managed 40 stations, with none of the standard ones (BBC, ITV etc).  Put this out and 120 stations all as normal. It’s often worked when the normal one fails to get any. 

I just stick it on the roof using the magnetic base when I arrive at camp, so it’s not a permanent fix, but definitely worth trying as a cheap temporary measure.
Sally
Sally

Female

Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:33 pm

How about:
If you are so bored with the place you have stopped that you have to resort to watching a TV, get in the driver's seat and go somewhere interesting?

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:41 pm

gassygassy wrote:How about:
If you are so bored with the place you have stopped that you have to resort to watching a TV, get in the driver's seat and go somewhere interesting?

Not exactly convenient at 9pm after an enjoyable day out scratch head

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:13 pm

gassygassy wrote:How about:

Each to their own but I guess you've never been stuck in the van on a wet howling stormy evening, or been unfortunate enough to be ill when away. shrugg
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

The Bargee and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:02 pm

Sally wrote:
While you’re pondering what to get, I can definitely recommend the above. At £12 and the size of a mug of coffee, it’s cheap effective and easy to store. I’ve just been to Barnard Castle, the normal aerial managed 40 stations, with none of the standard ones (BBC, ITV etc).  Put this out and 120 stations all as normal. It’s often worked when the normal one fails to get any. 

I just stick it on the roof using the magnetic base when I arrive at camp, so it’s not a permanent fix, but definitely worth trying as a cheap temporary measure.

Thanks Ian,

Actually I ordered one of those yesterday and tried it out tonight when I got home, parked in the drive with the house in the way of the signal.

With Gazelle, no programmes at all.

With the stubby plugged into the external socket, about 30 programmes, most poor.

With the stubby direct to the TV it found 130 tv programmes. Not bad at all with the house in the way. It was a bit better with another booster I have in circuit, with all favourites watchable.

So I am going to re-wire the external socket direct to the TV and abandon the AS wiring and Maxview, and do as you suggest, just plonk the stubby on the roof when I want it.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:40 am

Thanks to you lot, lol, I purchased a stubby ordered on Tuesday afternoon delivered by Thursday afternoon, can't complain.

Went for a ride in the van on Sunday morning to Bewdley, we followed the Switchbacks to Stourport and stopping in a layby by the river I decided to test it (knowing that the bottom of a valley would be a challenge )

First tried the van set up and as I thought no stations whatsoever, then the stubby inside the van.

Result: 11 TV stations & 16 radio, all the stations were solid ie good to watch, strangely though all were BBC stations.

Looking forward to trying it on tour.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:28 pm

breakaleg wrote:Thanks to you lot, lol, I purchased a stubby ordered on Tuesday afternoon delivered by Thursday afternoon, can't complain.

Went for a ride in the van on Sunday morning to Bewdley, we followed the Switchbacks to Stourport and stopping in a layby by the river I decided to test it (knowing that the bottom of a valley would be a challenge )

First tried the van set up and as I thought no stations whatsoever, then the stubby inside the van.

Result: 11 TV stations & 16 radio, all the stations were solid ie good to watch, strangely though all were BBC stations.

Looking forward to trying it on tour.

Pete

Sorry but which one is your stubby, the £12.95 one from Amazon?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:49 am

Sorry, yes the £12.95 one on Amazon.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:43 pm

It would be really useful to see a comparative test of all these different aerials especially the stubby and Avtex.

When we don't get a good enough signal from the fitted Maxview omnidirectional I use a Maxview Triboom directional:

https://maxview.co.uk/product/compact-tri-boom-mobile-tv-aerial/

It dismantles/folds for storage in the bottom of the wardrobe and I use an App to find the location and polarisation of the best transmitter.  The closest isn't always the best.  I mount the aerial on one of these cut in two:

https://www.toolstation.com/tv-aerial-satellite-dish-pole/p81967

The lower section is permanently attached to the bike rack with jubilee clips.  The upper section is attached to the lower section with a short length of alloy tube bought off e-bay inside a plastic convoluted pipe I already had.  The upper section stores next to the habitation door with the awning handle.  Not all my DIY solutions work but this one does and was less expensive than buying a satellite dish or fitting a Vision directional which I know from experience doesn't always work.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:00 pm

The trouble is that to get any reasonable data, the different systems would all have to be tested one after the other, in the same van, same day, same site etc.  Then repeated over many sites.  I don’t know anybody who owns them all, but it would be a good experiment.

The main benefit of the “stubby” is that it generally works, it’s really cheap and it is so small that it fits into a handbag or jacket pocket. It’s one of those things that when it doesn’t work, it almost doesn’t matter as it’s so cheap and convenient.
Sally
Sally

Female

Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down