The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fridge vents

5 posters

Go down

Fridge vents Empty Fridge vents

Post by Our Tilly Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:45 pm

Hi all.  This could apply to any type of vehicle but here I go.  On our first trip after habitation check we lost the fridge vent grill  - not just the winter cover.  We spent a few days away with it tin foiled and gaffa taped up and unbelieveably, I spotted it on the roadside on the way home and it wasnt damaged and even the little turning lug was still there.  Great I thought.  However I have just tried to fit it back in and it appears that the clasp that the lug grips onto has sheared off.  I have put the vent back in to protect the fridge area but it will obviously just fly out again when we hit the first pot hole in the road - and there many.   I have put a bit of sealeant over the top to act as glue as a temporary fix but does anyone know if I can get a replacement clasp.  It has come clean away and I can only assume that it is normally glued on as there is hardly a mark where it was.

Anyway over to you experts to see if you can help.
Our Tilly
Our Tilly

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Fridge vents Empty Re: Fridge vents

Post by Dave 418 Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:01 pm

When we bought our Rienza we had problems with the fridge that the dealers allegedly fixed tap_fingers. Not enough that they didn’t fix the fridge but they obviously broke the fittings for the top vent because it’s got self tapping screws holding it in. 
Not that this helps but it might be a short term fix. Saying that until the screws on mine go rusty I am leaving it as is.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Our Tilly Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:18 pm

Thanks Dave.  I think mine is different as I cant really see how I could screw it in but maybe could screw through the side - food for thought
Our Tilly
Our Tilly

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 pm

On some of our models the outer frame was secured each side with  small stainless pan head screws, suitably protected through the bodywork. We always had spare 1/4 turn buttons for the covers!!
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Our Tilly Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm

Thanks Frederic. Will have another look but there was only one button catch on the right hand side but now there doesnt seem to be anything to grip it to.
Our Tilly
Our Tilly

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 pm

Sounds like an Electrolux vent. The whole vent is available - full width vented for the bottom, part separated for the flue for the top one. Sounds as though you need the outer part which is screwed to the van side and you will the have a spare vent to fasten on to it with the quarter turn button. Try Leisure Spares.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Our Tilly Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:01 am

Thanks inspiredron.  I will have another look at it but I didnt think there were any screw fastenings.  I have the whole vent and winter cover it was just that there was no way to fasten it in other than to just push it in.  At least I didnt see any screw holes and the unit I retrieved only just fits in the hole.  Needs further investigation I guess.
Our Tilly
Our Tilly

Female

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:07 am

I don't know if this helps but this photo shows the frame screwed in place, the vent is ten an extremely tight fit into the frame. The vent has a small slide that moves up and down to fix it in place or remove it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Our Tilly Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:25 am

Thanks Paulmold.   I will have another look at it today.  The catch for the quarter turn button is on the left,hand side.  I think the frame outer frame must have come out.  If I cant see whats happened I will try and post a pic of it.  Thanks all of you.  This forum is great.
Our Tilly
Our Tilly

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:36 am

My vent doesn't have quarter turn buttons , those are on the winter covers, my vent has a small slide button to hold it on..but it's so tight a fit I can't see it coming out even if that were broken.
You can see the slide on left hand side  in this photo.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Our Tilly Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:27 am

Where your slider is, I have a quarter turn button.  I have had another look and have taken a photo but cant work out how to upload it.  The outer frame  that is actually screwed into the van has a short strip of plastic on the right hand side to hold the vent but nothing on the right hand side for the quarter turn button to grip on.  I can only assume it has sheared off and I therefore need to replace the frame as it does look different to the upper vent that has something for the button to grip.   If you could tell me how to attach a photo I will post it.
Our Tilly
Our Tilly

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Our Tilly Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:41 am

See if this works - I looked at the page suggested by paulmold in another post.  You can see on the left hand side that it is smooth but there is a slight scratch.  I have looked onleisure spares but the images seem to be thetfords even though i search for dometic.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Our Tilly
Our Tilly

Female

Back to top Go down