The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot/Fiat v Mercedes?

+8
Dave Gee
Skizzydo
grumps81
Caraman
lucasg
Chris M
Tinwheeler
AngleseyJJ
12 posters

Go down

Peugeot/Fiat v Mercedes? Empty Peugeot/Fiat v Mercedes?

Post by AngleseyJJ Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:18 am

Hi All, any advice/ experience on whether or not paying more for the Mercedes chassis is worth the premium?
AngleseyJJ
AngleseyJJ

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Peugeot/Fiat v Mercedes? Empty Re: Peugeot/Fiat v Mercedes?

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:50 am

It's worth every single penny in my opinion. You need to try both to appreciate the difference but I find the driving position, vehicle ride, cab space, smoothness of performance, noise level all better in the Merc. 

Repair costs for Peugeot/Fiat tend to be dearer than Merc in my experience.

I have had a 2007 Ducato, 2011 Sprinter, 2017 Boxer, 2020 & 2021 Ducatos and now a Merc Vito.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by AngleseyJJ Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:25 am

Thank you for that, Tinwheeler. We have followed your reassuring advice!

Jeremy
AngleseyJJ
AngleseyJJ

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:23 am

Good choice! I'm sure you'll be happy with it  up!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

AngleseyJJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris M Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:28 pm

Being 6’2 the Seville vans with an extra 40 mm on the seat height and the top of the windscreen blind track I found I was having to lower my head when driving where as the sprinter is top edge is far above my line of sight.
Chris M
Chris M

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

lucasg and AngleseyJJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lucasg Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:43 pm

I bought the Merc Bourton because the view from the driving seat was superior to the Peugeot. In the Peugeot model my eyeline included part of the roof space .. the seat is not adjustable.
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Member Age : 70
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:22 pm

The unladen axle masses of the 3500 kg Broadway EK TB LP and Bourton are similar but the Bourton's rear axle MTPLM of 2250 kg is better than the Broadway's 2000 kg which should help with loading.  Both coachbuilts when fully loaded will be rear heavy and front light, which favours the Bourton because it is RWD and therefore should provide better traction than the Broadway's FWD.  I am sure the Bourton will have 16 inch wheels rather than the Broadway's 15 inch wheels which should further help with traction.  IMO these issues are at least as important as the cab comfort benefits of the M-B.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by grumps81 Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:32 pm

1 have been driving now for over 70 years and my current motorhome is a Mercedes Automatic Malvern and its an absolute dream to drive.    Assuming I live long enough and I want to change my motorhome[highly unlikely]my next van would be a Merc
grumps81
grumps81

Male

Member Age : 93
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : Mercedes

Back to top Go down

Post by Skizzydo Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:53 pm

I have a 2019 Mercedes Bourton. Drives nice, rolls like a pig if not a load on,  it needs some firming up on the suspension , mega problems with the electronics between the habitation and the vehicle units  , even Mercedes and A. S. Eventually owned up to those problems. 
I was advised to isolate the Habitation door electrics so no central locking, manual key only. 
It has a some quirks about the central cab doors unlocking, you have to open one of the doors or else it self locks after 30/ 40 seconds.
One serious point is the fitment of a bike rack on the rear , if used it covers the lights and number plate  ergo, light board and extra number board are required plus the wiring up to the vehicle system  That nearly caused us to refuse the vehicle on delivery until it was eventually sorted.
Otherwise we eventually ( 3 years)  got use to its behaviour.  It’s named the Haunted Snail for that reason. Even the dealership knows it’s name.
The keyless areas  I don’t like, but that’s a personal opinion.
There are number singular bad/ poor  designs included which we have eventually overcome. 
Spending £70 k plus  (2019 price) AS could do better in those  areas.
Would we change it ? No, not really as we like it’s layout and it suits our trip style. 
The Harmony control system for heating and reading the various systems could be more user friendly  and more reliable.
Skizzydo
Skizzydo

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by AngleseyJJ Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:12 am

Thank you to everyone who has contributed their thoughts - and, despite having searched for previous threads, it's only with the suggested similar threads that I discovered "Re: Difference between Mercedes and Peugeot from 2021".

We are turning in our 3850kg 2016 Broadway FB for a 2018 Bourton in the next month, mainly because of age and medical conditions making a 3500kg vehicle legally necessary. I'm a little apprehensive about giving up the fixed bed, but people tell me Duvalay sleeping bags/ mattress toppers make made-up beds more comfortable. May I ask if anybody has any words of wisdom on that score?

Skizzydo, you refer to poor design features which you have overcome ... may I ask what you've done and why? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Thank you all again,

Jeremy
AngleseyJJ
AngleseyJJ

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:39 am

Jeremy, 

There are a couple of threads on the forum about toppers, think this is the most recent.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Post by road warrior Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 pm

Having had "several" fiat based moho's and to be fair not one EVER gave any trouble - but i love my Merc Winchcombe build quality and attention to detail is leagues ahead, lovely motors.
road warrior
road warrior

Male

Auto-Sleeper : WINCHCOMBE
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mollytardis Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:19 am

We have a bourton. We use duvalay, they are great. Another plus with merc. If registered and serviced  at merc commercial garage. 30 years breakdown service free. Puncture down in dorset, pressed over cab button, 40 minutes later van arrived , changed tyre carried out diagnostic chech all good ,away in hour.
Mollytardis
Mollytardis

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Skizzydo Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:32 pm

Anglesey 33,
It appears my earlier reply got lost or disappeared down the clump .
Some minor mods done are , bearing in mind mine is a 2019, and update of some systems by MB.
1)  I put the tv mount behind the pax seat bulkhead , this allows us to view the tv whilst feet up on the seats. This way we have back supports.
2) the wife made some bead cushions for back or foot support and used as and where required.
3) on the near side there is a fold  down flap for extra shelf for food prep etc. I fitted a spacer block under the fold away shelf, otherwise the springs creak and groan if leaning against them  especially if you have the pillows against the shelf at night. We sleep separate fore aft  as we find that more beneficial.
4) I replaced the hinge with stay open soft close door hinges and the on the door cupboard above the driver / pax seat.  When we ordered the Bourton we deleted the over cab window and had a cupboard fitted across the van for extra storage
5) the habitation internal door handle fouls the top right hand drawer , so only way to use the drawer was to open the habitation door each time. I believe they have got rid of that drawer and just left an area for storage with a closure door - not the brightest of ideas that ! 
6) eventually after 3 years we were provided with the internal screens for the cab, after being promised them we would have them within a year of purchasing the Motorhome.
7) the over the locker strip lights are different colours  white, and various warm whites

I am still thinking of putting the extra  steps by the main cab doors, and stiffening the rear suspension and which is the best method to use.

Otherwise  we like it, and had some great trips in the  HS.

I spent many years covering the internals on pax aircraft including many private jets ( 1-11, 727,737 )  so I am quite acquainted  with slipshod work on internal finishing which I have had to fix either by the Reps or my requirements. The internals I would give  6/10 on our vehicle and the quality control was abysmal which the dealer had to correct, badly fitted drawers and runners  and latches that needed adjustment.
Skizzydo
Skizzydo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AngleseyJJ Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:59 pm

Thank you all again for the very helpful advice - much appreciated!
AngleseyJJ
AngleseyJJ

Male

Mollytardis likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:26 pm

When we bought our Malvern in 2011 it was the only FB option. We had it till November last year and loved it with a superb ride in standard form, only parting with it as we had to downsize to 3500. Would I pay £20k extra now to have Mercedes over Peugeot - certainly not. I had far more trouble with the Mercedes chassis (particularly brakes) that I had with Fords and Peugeot over the years, to early to comment on Fiat yet.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Skizzydo Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:58 pm

Peter, 
I’m on no. 3 recall 
Rear Brake callipers replacement, Seat cabling re route, airbag checks
Skizzydo
Skizzydo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:29 pm

Hi Everyone
          Regarding the recalls,has anyone had the engine management ones done,I am waiting untill mine goes in for a service (august2023) and is Mercedes Me still working for you as mine packed up say my phone was no longer compatible
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down