The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway Vehicle battery not charging on EHU

5 posters

Go down

Broadway Vehicle battery not charging on EHU Empty Broadway Vehicle battery not charging on EHU

Post by RoyatPB Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:50 pm

We have a Broadway EK 2015 with EC328 which does not appear to be charging the vehicle battery on EHU. scratch head
Any advice welcomed.
RoyatPB
RoyatPB

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK LT
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Broadway Vehicle battery not charging on EHU Empty Re: Broadway Vehicle battery not charging on EHU

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:35 pm

Have you switched the control panel to vehicle battery? Won't charge it otherwise.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

RoyatPB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Broadway Vehicle battery not charging on EHU Empty Re: Broadway Vehicle battery not charging on EHU

Post by RoyatPB Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:26 am

Many thanks Peter. Never knew that! 
Thought both batteries charged automatically. 
North Herts - so where do you get your wagon serviced/habitation check done?
RoyatPB
RoyatPB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:33 am

If you have upwards of 80w solar panel and the van is not in shade then the EC328 will keep both batteries fully charged all year when not using the van with no need for EHU.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyatPB Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:37 am

Thanks Peter.
Yes had 30w but upgraded to 100w.
When not in use it is parked with tree shade. On drive with EHU at present but covered in snow!  up!
RoyatPB
RoyatPB

Male

Peter Brown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Broadway Vehicle battery not charging on EHU Empty Typo

Post by inspiredron Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:39 pm

With EC328 the control panel must be on as well as switching to vehicle battery in order for vehicle battery to charge otherwise it will be leisure battery which charges

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

RoyatPB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:43 am

Didn't we find a work around where if you had the panel on, selected vehicle battery then started & stopped the engine it would stay connected to the vehicle battery with the panel off?

PS I cant test as don't have an EC328 any more.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:54 pm

I'd never seen that documented before, but I can confirm that the light stays on for the battery select switch (indicating the vehicle battery is selected) in the circumstances you describe, even though the panel is off. What I don't know is whether that actually results in the vehicle battery being the one charged. I don't know, because I've never checked!

On mine (which is a Celex, not an A/S model) you don't even need to start the engine - just turning the ignition on and off again will trigger the disabling of the panel, leaving the battery select unchanged.

If it warms up a bit later today, I'll maybe go out and check what it actually does.

Having said that, I don't ~think~ the background drain when the panel is on is anything like as high as with the later controllers. From memory, I think it's a few tens of milliamps, while with a EC500 or EC700 it is a lot higher (maybe ten times higher?).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:56 pm

I think it was Inspiron who discovered it.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:02 pm

Yes Peter, I did post that some years ago. I think that on my van the D signal from the alternator provides the trigger for switching off the control panel and habitation electrics. I don't think it works just with the ignition on -; the engine needs to run for a moment. I didn't mention it earlier because I don't bother these days.
You can check which battery is being charged very easily. Immediately on starting charge that battery will show 14.4V on the panel, dropping to around 13.8V after an hour or two and finally down to about 13.3V.  The other battery will be at most 12.9V and probably less - unless you have just swapped from.chsrging the other. The 14.4 is the giveaway though.

Last edited by inspiredron on Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added final paragraph)

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

RoyatPB likes this post

Back to top Go down