The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After market tpms.

5 posters

Go down

After market tpms. Empty After market tpms.

Post by Mollytardis Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:29 pm

Hi, i do not have tpms on my 21 bourton, had a punture on site,tyre went down, visually spoted it. Has anyone fitted an after market tpms system fitted?
Mollytardis
Mollytardis

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

After market tpms. Empty Re: After market tpms.

Post by IanH Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Yes, not this one but very similar. Excellent in every way, dead easy to fit and solar powered display, tyre sensors have tiny batteries. £17:99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Solar Wireless TPMS with 4 Sensor IP67 Waterproof Auto Safety Monitor Digital LCD Display USB Charging Auto Alarm System for Truck RV Trailer CarTire Pressure Monitoring
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Mollytardis likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Dual post.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:48 pm

I have used this one on my WXL for a couple of years and the previous Van for about 6 years ,very good bit of kit also has a high psi reading which a lot don’t , eBay item number 153685395412

UNIVERSAL TPMS CAR SOLAR + USB WIRELESS TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM 87 PSI

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mollytardis Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:52 pm

Many thanks for your advice guys.
Mollytardis
Mollytardis

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:12 pm

This seems odd - on most classes of vehicle, TPMS became mandatory many years ago. As I recall that happened way back in 2014 (I know because my 2013 van has it but it wasn't enabled because it was built before it became mandatory). And IIRC it  didn't apply to any commercial vehicle above a GVW of 3.5 tonnes. Is that the reason why a Bourton is apparently exempt?

I should add that although my van's system was disabled, it was a relatively easy task for me to add a switch and one wire, and then to enable it.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Mollytardis Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:31 pm

As i understand it, the tpms legislation, since leaving E.U. control, has been watered down, so it boils down that German built vans for the u.k.market dont fit them. My opinion is that tpms, blind spot monitors and 360 cameras should all be included. What will probably happen a major manufacturer of leisure vehicles will include these and the others will slowly follow.
Mollytardis
Mollytardis

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:52 pm

Personally I'd much rather have this aftermarket version.
Much more useable, mine has 3 views per corner....
Actual current tyre pressure
Actual tyre temperature
Pre set are warnings for high and low pressures.
Nothing inside the tyre/wheel
Nothing preset by others in some cases, I believe only re settable by the van manufacturer.
I run all my tyres at 60psi, my choice and I'm on van tyres, wish I always had been btw(!)
I have set the max to 70, it warns then, and low to 45 it also warns then.
If I decide for some unknown reason to have a rush of blood to the head and want to change, say, the rears to 70psi, that's only needs a change to the max for each of these tyres.
That can be troublesome with some aftermarket ones but mine can cope with pressures up to 87psi.
There are horror stories re tyres deflating with this system as the tyre air is inside the valve mounted sensor, but this has not happened same system 3 different vehicles now.
All of this is my choice and my £25 or so!!!

As an aside my Skoda has a low tyre pressure warning, but no TPMS. Found out how it works.
You set the tyre pressures to what you want, it may be a heavy rear load so the rears will be higher.
You then set a set button on the dash. The car now knows the tyre diameter, yes, diameter.
The ECU now uses the ABS sensors to measure each wheel rpm. If one starts to deflate, its diameter reduces so its rpm increases, the signal from that ABS sensor is now different to the other one on that axle, sets off a warning. Actually doesn't say which tyre is deflating but at least warns that one is!
I thought that ingenious!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:56 pm

Roopert wrote:This seems odd - on most classes of vehicle, TPMS became mandatory many years ago. As I recall that happened way back in 2014 (I know because my 2013 van has it but it wasn't enabled because it was built before it became mandatory). And IIRC it  didn't apply to any commercial vehicle above a GVW of 3.5 tonnes. Is that the reason why a Bourton is apparently exempt?

I should add that although my van's system was disabled, it was a relatively easy task for me to add a switch and one wire, and then to enable it.
Not fitted on our 2015 Duo.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down