The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External silverscreens

+8
roli
hillwalker
denboy
whisky
jaybee3946
helpdriver
DuxDeluxe
happyhelen
12 posters

Go down

External silverscreens Empty External silverscreens

Post by happyhelen Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Have posted before on this but still not sure what to go for but need to decide quickly before trip away next week.
Want a good quality, external silver screen with fold down centre but not too bulky for storage.
Silver screen original look good but also look a bit bulky. Have seen a Hindeman which is not quilted and folds back but is lighter for storage.
Any experience of these please? Or would you recommend going for the tried and tested of the SS original?

Thanks Helen
happyhelen
happyhelen

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo

Back to top Go down

External silverscreens Empty Re: External silverscreens

Post by DuxDeluxe Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Even if they are a bit more bulky, I don't think that the originals can be bettered. Mine live in the shower when on the road up!
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

External silverscreens Empty External silver screens

Post by helpdriver Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi, Ours are Milenco and seem fine.I think they are all a bit bulky.
helpdriver
helpdriver

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ascot SE
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

External silverscreens Empty Re Silver Screens

Post by jaybee3946 Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi There,
I don't think you you can beat the quality of the genuine Silver Screens, if you go for the Para-Gon model the centre section can be folded either up or down. So can be left in situ whilst on site. We don't have a problem with the bulk whilst travelling the whole thing in it's bag is very light.
I don't have any connection with Silver Screens .I have just found it to be a great product.
Happy Camping JB.
jaybee3946
jaybee3946

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:26 am

Hi Helen.

It depends whether you want the screen cover for insulation or just privicy and shade. Most of the silver screens both internal and external fitting are quite bulky (They do compress when rolled up though) If its just a screen cover you are after Fiamma do a white vinyl one that folds up and fits into a pouch that is approx 12 inches by 14 inches by 2 inches thick. The cover is hard wearing and well made and being just a cover storage is not normally a problem. They cost about a quarter of the price of silver screens.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

External silverscreens Empty Silver Screen

Post by denboy Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:11 pm

We have found original Silver Screen Paragon to be very effective especially as it can be partially rolled up when fitted. We carry ours in the shower when travelling. No problems - helps to keep the chairs in position
Denboy
denboy
denboy

Male

Member Age : 89
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 pm

hi all, I have just found this post and wondered if anyone has experience of Hindermann Four Season Screens, they are a lot cheaper than Sliver Screens but is it a case of "you get what you pay for" and I should pay the extra if the quality is better!
Cheers
"H"

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:42 am

On the two previous vans, a VW and a Boxer we had the J&M Original SilverScreen which were great and compacted quite small. On the current Tranny he talked us into a fold down centre Silver Screen which is far more bulky than the Originals but still upto to their normal quality.

The bulk doesn't bother us that much as during the main part of the year we carry their Solar Screen which gives privacy but we can see out and this is much more compact.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

External silverscreens Empty Re-External silverscreens

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 am

If your van is the X250 Nuevo, then I can recommend the extra length external screens made by Taylor-made, they cover the air intakes on the bonnet and stop the rain entering the area underneath.
Bulky, yes but well worth the money, I've had mine for 3 winters and they still in good condition.
If its a rain cover you need, then the Fiamma Ducato XL screen glass cover(2006 on) is ideal, I purchased my cover earier this year and used it during my 8 weeks away and all summer. This cover also covers the air intakes on your bonnet. up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

External silverscreens Empty Re external screens

Post by JanViv Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:31 pm

We agree with Burlingtonboaby, we have the extra length Taylormade screen cover & have had it for about 5 years. Luckily it has fitted all our different vans (3). It is fairly bulky, but comes with us every trip, & for winter use it is to us essential. It goes on the van as soon as we arrive on site & is kept in the bathroom for travelling. It has stood up to gale force winds, snow & torrential rain, just occasionally it has had a bit of sun too. Our van stands outside all year & the cover will be on permanently till better weather arrives next year, (apart from trips away) it keeps the engine compartment dry & clear of debris . We give it a scrub once a year, whether it needs it or not!!

Best of luck making your choice up!

Jan
JanViv

Female

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire ES

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:41 pm

thanks all!!
seems Hindermann screens are not all that well known. I have looked at Taylormade and it looks like they are the ones for me
cheers
"H"
AND IS IT TO EARLY TO WISH YOU ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS dum
SURELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

External silverscreens Empty Re-external screens

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi H and Jan
You might want to have a look at the Hindermann spectra summer privacy screens on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I use these during the day,(on trips away when sunny) great for privacy and they keep the front of the cab area cool too! up!

Boaby happy holidays
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:01 am

Ordered a screen for my Nuevo ES on this Monday from Silver Screens, it arrived Wednesday. Not bad going that. £149.
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

External silverscreens Empty Re: external silver screens

Post by JanViv Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Well done you got them just in time to give some protection from all this awful weather, ours are under a soggy layer of leaves, but the screen cover does a great job in the really cold weather when we move the van, no scraping of ice, luxury.

Jan
JanViv

Female

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire ES

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Another up! for silver screens ordered a set for our medallion yesterday recieved them today. Really high quality and great fit unlike the ones i got from ebay (maypole) said they were for the vw lt\ sprinter but they were really poor quality and massive they could have fitted an a class. So moral of the story don't always go for the cheapest.
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down