The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

problem with Remis Wind up skylight

+3
PLOUGHLIN
frederic
willshome
7 posters

Go down

problem with Remis Wind up skylight Empty problem with Remis Wind up skylight

Post by willshome Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:40 pm

I have recently bought a 2015 Mercedes based auto- sleeper Malvern and generally very pleased with the build quality.
However i have encountered a problem with the large wind up skylight. Both cables have broken off the mechanism. The winder seems to work ok but the cables  have become detached from the window. Can anyone recommend a fix for this issue or point me in the direction for spare parts for this skylight?? scratch head
willshome
willshome

Male

Auto-Sleeper : mercedes Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

problem with Remis Wind up skylight Empty Re: problem with Remis Wind up skylight

Post by frederic Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:45 pm

No help really but anyone with these wind up Skylights would be well advised to initially help them to open by pushing gently on the opening edge underside until they are well clear of the frame seals.
Personally I favour the bar opening ones.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Paulmold, paul bullock and jwells like this post

Back to top Go down

problem with Remis Wind up skylight Empty Re: problem with Remis Wind up skylight

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:57 pm

Spare parts for Remis rooflights. Can you identify the broken bits?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:46 pm

frederic wrote:No help really but anyone with these wind up Skylights would be well advised to initially help them to open by pushing gently on the opening edge underside until they are well clear of the frame seals.
frederic
 Indeed so - as well as annually treating the rubber seal around the opening with a rubber lubricant, to prevent it sticking. I also squirt a silicone lubricant spray on to the spirals along the sides of the opening and on to the trough in which they sit.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

rgermain and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

problem with Remis Wind up skylight Empty problem with Remis skylight

Post by willshome Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:10 am

frederic wrote:No help really but anyone with these wind up Skylights would be well advised to initially help them to open by pushing gently on the opening edge underside until they are well clear of the frame seals.
frederic
Hi Freeric,

Thanks for the message, you are right, this motorhome has been standing around for a while and the mechanism is quite fragile.
willshome
willshome

Male

Auto-Sleeper : mercedes Malvern

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:44 am

A new wind up mechanism is available from autosleeper parts .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:57 am

Cymro wrote:
frederic
 Indeed so - as well as annually treating the rubber seal around the opening with a rubber lubricant, to prevent it sticking. I also squirt a silicone lubricant spray on to the spirals along the sides of the opening and on to the trough in which they sit.

Cymro
I thought silicone spray might act as a rubber lubricant.  What sort of rubber lubricant do you use?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Appretice Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:30 pm

Re problem with Remis wind-up skylight
When I had an issue with this failure I managed to get parts from leisureshop direct. A few years ago and I'm not sure of current availability. 
I subsequently ensured that all moving parts were well greased and that I lifted the light manually to assist the insubstantial winding mechanism.
Good luck
Appretice
Appretice

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:02 pm

Caraman wrote:I thought silicone spray might act as a rubber lubricant.  What sort of rubber lubricant do you use?

Following a tip on the Forum (from a Member whose habitation door had stuck to the rubber seal) I bought this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]ut that link no longer works. The stuff is called Gummi Pfledge rubber care stick, and here's a link which works:

The packaging has changed but it's the same stuff. I apply it annually to all the rubber seals (and those that look like they're rubber). So far, so good.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:35 pm

Thanks Cymro.  My caravan windows all started sticking after a while so I'll follow this up for the motorhome.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down