The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a new experience at 80

+8
Cymro
Caraman
Slow-Lane
Torbaytimber
NickT
Dave 418
IanH
robbymax
12 posters

Go down

a new experience at 80 Empty a new experience at 80

Post by robbymax Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:03 pm

a new experience at 80
we received our motor home yesterday and it is all right after all the worry, because we bought it on a video emailed to us from Dorset and so it was a gamble anyhow after the delivery we sat in it looked at each other and I had to admit I have never driven anything that big before, I did get some sleep last night, and this morning we got up 7 o'clock, it was daylight we don't get up early, and there it was.
So we need a test run, now we live in the middle of a town, the roads are jammed and the wife is nervous, which way out of town, I thought what the hell straight through the middle, the wife was not amused,  we went about 30 miles and filled up with diesel, now that was a shock £118 00, we pulled into a lay-by to set the sat nav in case I loose my memory and she, [still got to think of a name]  brought us back home without incident and now I am sitting here feeling please with myself, and I am still waiting for some sort of approval NO CHANCE. Now where next ANY IDEAS
robbymax
robbymax

Male

Auto-Sleeper : DEVON
Vehicle Year : 2010

BobK, dotsontour, brodco, Barry the Bishop and Sarah Harley like this post

Back to top Go down

a new experience at 80 Empty Re: a new experience at 80

Post by IanH Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Good for you, the world's your oyster!!!
Go local for a few days, stay on a site, but pretend you aren't. Then you can try out all the new toys as though you were off site too.
Don't try too much, just relax and try it out
Good luck!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Barry the Bishop likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:34 pm

As you reside in Peterborough how about a trip to Norfolk. We stay at Deepdale quite often. The staff are pleasant and helpful. There are shops including a supermarket at the entrance and two pubs within walking distance.
The coast path is across the road or if want to go further there are buses to Hunstanton or Wells next the sea at the site entrance. 
We took our Duetto there as a first trip and the same when we swapped to the Rienza.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

robbymax, Barry the Bishop and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NickT Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:26 pm

Good for you!!

I go with IanH's advice.  Don't go too far, keep it local while you learn how to use your new toy.  We find that travelling as little as half an hour from home gives you a different outlook and makes you relax as you have left all those little jobs that you ought to get on with behind.
Above all enjoy yourselves!!!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Orian Gemini
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

a new experience at 80 Empty Confidence

Post by Torbaytimber Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:34 pm

Welcome to the fraternity. 

As someone who is older than yourself I would advise anyone moving to a larger vehicle to take some driving lessons in that vehicle.  That will improve your confidence and that of your passenger.

In my view a reversing camera is essential.  The other major hazard is meeting a van coming in the opposite.  Our wing mirrors  stick out and are easily destroyed.

Enjoy your van.
Torbaytimber

Male

Member Age : 90
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:40 pm

Dave 418 wrote:As you reside in Peterborough how about a trip to Norfolk. We stay at Deepdale quite often. The staff are pleasant and helpful. There are shops including a supermarket at the entrance and two pubs within walking distance.
The coast path is across the road or if want to go further there are buses to Hunstanton or Wells next the sea at the site entrance. 
We took our Duetto there as a first trip and the same when we swapped to the Rienza.
I'd second Burnham Deepdale as a good first site. We went there with a hired Auto-Sleeper as a test run before we bought ours. A good site with good facilities and accessible from a main road, so no need to go down narrow lanes on your first outing (unless you want to!).  White Horse pub nearby does good food. Also the Crab Shack not far away does great sandwiches!
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 pm

The Devon looks a very nice van - enjoy it.  The high up driving position gives you a good view of the road.  Estimating width is the hardest thing so avoid narrow roads if you can.  I echo what others have said - stay local to start with and limit trips to just a few nights.  It seems you may need to break your wife in gently!
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by robbymax Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:50 pm

Thank you, it is nice to know these feelings are normal, but what a surprise from the wife, she could get in and out unaided, and did not need a leg up after all, are well never mind, the site at Deepdale sounds like a good place to start, because that is the kind of site we need, any more come to mind?, better than kelling heath a bit more to see, we will miss having transport once set up. We had a Narrowboat for the last 20 years and that was great, sold it 3 years ago and we did miss it, we went out yesterday just for a ride, next time we must stop some where and have a cup of tea. We do worry about sleeping though, getting the cushion's flat and comfortable looks to be a challenge, any advice would be appreciated.
robbymax
robbymax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:20 pm

To achieve a comfortable bed (sometimes on multiple cushions / seat bases) many of us use a good memory foam underlay. My wife and I use Duvalays, which have a foam base and a joined (down one length) duvet. You'll see various threads on the Forum on the subject. Some store their foam / duvet during daytime on the rear seats - make the seats comfortable and saves limited storage space for other items.

Of course, you won't have as much space as in a narrowboat, so there must be compromises. So experiment!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:28 pm

When we started with the Duetto we found a cheap mattress topped with half of zip together sleeping bag as a base and  whatever duvet weight we were using a home. The second half of the sleeping bag is kept handy if it got silly cold. We still use the same set up in the Rienza . It easy to make up the bed and store away before travelling. The only addition now is to keep two weights of duvets and a spare cover in the locker because we have more room. 
Our naibors bought a Corinthian motorhome recently. Before they brought it home they filled there dinning room with bits and pieces they thought they might need. If they asked me I could have saved them a fortune. As others will agree buy the basics and make a list of essentials and maybe things during you’re first trips.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by robbymax Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:19 pm

just booked 4 nights mid august at deepdale it looks wonderfull and in such an interesting place booked a dinner date at the white horse for one evening because it is our anaversary, 56 years wed, and i am now getting the hang of it, got to make an effort, thank you
robbymax
robbymax

Male

dotsontour, Nain and Sarah Harley like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by robbymax Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:38 pm

thankyou for answering my post we are looking forward to 5 days in deepdale thankyou for recomending the pub i think it will be perfect for us, the food at the pub looks good  . we have been. looking at bedding what a job that is, you can spend a lot of money with no guarantees of being comfortable any advice? was hoping to put a solar panel on the roof but with 3 roof vents there is not a lot of room left
robbymax
robbymax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:44 pm

Whether you intend using the beds as 2 singles or a double won’t make much difference to the choice of bedding and you’ll find some ideas in the thread linked below. I’d suggest to start with the cheapest option which is probably duvets from your local supermarket.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:12 pm

Having gone down the tent and  trailer tent route we had some bits we could swap to the Duetto like pans , cutlery and bedding. We havnt really  bought much more other than a decent sized frying pan. Having the locker space now I moved my fixing junk and tools from the Landrover in as well. Most of it hasn’t been touched but it’s there if I need it.
One of the selling points with the Rienza was a second leisure battery and a solar panel already fitted. I changed the controller to a better one but it’s given us chance to be off grid more.
Last time we were at the White Horse at Deepdale we sat on the balcony overlooking the marshes. That was for our Fortieth anniversary. It was a very nice meal.
The staff at Deepdale with answer any questions you have and have always been helpful. Enjoy you’re stay.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

robbymax likes this post

Back to top Go down

a new experience at 80 Empty The World's your lobster!

Post by Ailsaj Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am

Well done - now the adventures can begin. allthumbz I would recommend TRANQUIL PARK sites. They are quality adult only sites so generally peaceful and beautifully kept with large pitches. Check out their website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] We live in North Devon but stayed at Delph Bank Touring Caravan Park, Holbeach, Spalding - which is only 40 minutes from Peterborough. Handy Bus stop outside, Farm shop/cafe close by.  But really, 'The world is your lobster' embrace your new vehicle and grab life - each day is an adventure and remember, old age can't catch you if you keep moving!!! up!
Ailsaj
Ailsaj

Female

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2017

robbymax likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by robbymax Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:50 am

Thanks everybody Wow how hot was Monday and Tuesday couldn’t set foot in the van in the drive but Wednesday we went to a local campsite and stayed overnight back yesterday still a bit warm but we coped very well sleeping wasn’t too bad but we didn’t quite get the cushions right but we are learning The campsite let us down with food Wednesday night there wasn’t any so I rang my son who is only 2 miles away and we were rescued with fish and chips first this year and they were marvellous looking forward to Deepdale now
robbymax
robbymax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by robbymax Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:53 am

PS the world is definitely our winkle
robbymax
robbymax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:06 am

I like good news threads like this.  You'll soon be an expert.  On the food front, when we go away be transfer any perishables from the house to the motorhome and then stop at a supermarket on the way to our site to buy what we need.  We restock at a supermarket when we move from one site to the next.  Google is great for finding supermarkets en route.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:37 pm

Well done I hope you have many years enjoying your van.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:50 pm

Well done. I thought life began at forty, yours it seems is Eighty. Good luck to you both and travel safely👋
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by robbymax Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:52 am

new job today i am fitting a rear view camara easy bluetooth connection and i have made 2 lithium 12v batteries in boxes with low voltage cut off they should last the summer before charge needed but it has made it so easy to fit with no cables hanging
robbymax
robbymax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by robbymax Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:55 am

Bad Penny wrote:Well done. I thought life began at forty, yours it seems is Eighty. Good luck to you both and travel safely👋
thankyou good penny i think first time round i missed it too busy working
robbymax
robbymax

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:57 pm

Glad you're getting out and about! The furthest we have been from home (apart from collection, which was 188 miles...steep learning curve!) is 67 miles, to Dingwall. Currently in Wick, about 57 miles from home. BUT....it feels like a world away. Sometimes we just go up the road a few miles and have a different view at dinner.

A motorhome is for life, not just for holidays!
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

rogerblack likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum