The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp site bins

+3
PLOUGHLIN
Paulmold
Askit
7 posters

Go down

Camp site bins Empty Camp site bins

Post by Askit Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:18 pm

Perhaps I missed the memo, it seems the CCC have decided to move their refuse bins to a central point rather than have bins located around their sites. This was one of the recent club "improvements" to Moffat site, great for the wardens who don't have to collect the rubbish but not so great for those campers with mobility problems. Most motorhomes have limited space for waste bins so it looks like we will need to factor in some planning for getting rid of this on future trips.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Camp site bins Empty Re: Camp site bins

Post by Paulmold Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:30 pm

They've done it for a few years now. CAMC still have bins at water points. I do wonder sometimes what wardens on C&CC do these days, no bins to empty, no reception to man as payment taken before you arrive, just loos to clean and grass to mow. Also no longer wander around sites stopping for a chat as they go round. At least they still take you to your pitch even if you don't get a choice these days.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:41 pm

Funny you should say that, we are on a CCC site and, apart from the toilet cleaning, we have hardly seen the wardens over the last few days (not even grass cutting). I know on some sites the bins are pretty central but at Moffat they are located at the main gate, a long way from the rear of the site. 

I was surprised when we arrived to find all the pitches close to the gate busy, when we got further in there were lots of empty pitches. This is the opposite of how it used to be and, once I discovered the bin situation, I realised why. It does seem like it's organised for the staff rather than the punters. (from a fully paid up grumpy old man)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:06 pm

Paulmold wrote:They've done it for a few years now. CAMC still have bins at water points. I do wonder sometimes what wardens on C&CC do these days, no bins to empty, no reception to man as payment taken before you arrive, just loos to clean and grass to mow. Also no longer wander around sites stopping for a chat as they go round. At least they still take you to your pitch even if you don't get a choice these days.

Was on the CAMC site West Runton recently, bins are now central to the Toilet blocks, removed from the service points, with no sorting required done off site. Don't know if this is start of a general trend.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:12 pm

C&CC started doing this at Scone several years ago and anyone who knows the site will know the bins at the entrance are heck of a way from the bulk of the pitches. Moffat and Dingwall followed suit a few years back. 

I think it makes life awkward for anyone less able who might have trouble carrying rubbish and walking, and that’s apart from prising the heavy bin lids up.

It looks as if CAMC are now heading the same way.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:30 am

When I last stayed at CAMC Pembrey (April 2022) there were only bins (large, commericial) at reception. I wondered at the time whether it was a Covid measure, but it does of course make life easier for wardens (and more inconvenient for Club members.....).

Same in excellent (non-CAMC) site at Kirkwall. 

Hope it's not a trend.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:43 am

On recent trip, Gwern y Bwlch CAMC site, bins at  site entrance, Rhandirmwyn C&CC site bins at entrance, Gowerton CAMC site bins at entrance, Tredegar House CAMC site bins at water points. So majority have gone to commercial bins right by entrance.  As to whether you have to separate recyclable stuff or chuck it all together is down to local authority,  some sort it at huge refuse sites, others need it separated prior to collection.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:37 pm

Loch Ness shores CCC site has large commercial bins by the main entrance, wardens drove around the site roads on quads , due to the heat the un tarred road turned to dust ,covering everything. New arrivals raced to find pitches adding to the dust clouds.
On the fourth day a warden started to dampen down the site tracks/ road, he was called away so I continued with hose pipe spraying water.had limited effect though.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:41 pm

Coed y Llyn and Chester Fairoaks have centralised bins in newly built compounds. Note up at Chester, saves thousands of black bin bags used to line dustbins  per year, diesel saving as tractor doesn't need to go round service points twice a day, and health and safety as wardens were lifting equivalent of several hundred kilos of rubbish per week

Looks like it will roll out across CMC sites. Blackshaw Moor still has bins at service points along with other sites we have stayed at this year...Englethwaite Hall, Barnard Castle, Moffat, Bunree

Not a major problem for us as we tend to go off site most days so pass bin compound anyway,

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:46 pm

I completely understand the commercial and convenience logic from the perspective of the clubs, less hassle for the wardens and refuse being “oven ready” for collection. How is it though for us, the customers. Were club members consulted about the changes, if so I must have missed the memo. Reading posts on the club forums on the subject, a regular comment is “you can do it when you take your car out”. I'll leave you to ponder that one.

It would appear, from casual observation, that there are at least as many MHs and campers on club sites at any one time these days and the majority do not move for the duration of their stay. Sadly we are all acutely aware of how limited the space is for storing rubbish in the vans and what happens to any bags left outside. That leaves us little choice but to factor in the disposal of stuff on a more regular basis. Hard luck if you are camped, for instance, at the far side of Moffat site (which is what prompted my OP), or have mobility issues or are camping during our occasional bouts of nasty weather Whistle1 . The sites may using fewer black bin bags but they will be getting more household plastic bags in return instead. I think the comment about using less diesel is a bit cynical to be honest, sites could have been using electric buggy type vehicles for this job long before now.

So what about the recycling issue? As I already mentioned, the storage of rubbish is already limited. My practice has been to take my recycling (bottles biggrin , plastics, paper) to the bins on a regular basis, as and when, to keep our feet clear. Taking stuff to a central point will often be less convenient and my best guess is fewer people will make the effort to separate waste. The policy is unlikely to be changed anytime soon but a bit of compromise would have been good, perhaps like siting the bins in a more centralised location.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:08 pm

Askit, you put that very well.

It’s another trend copied by CAMC from C&CC and if you want to experience a really inconvenient hike, try taking rubbish to the bins by the entrance of the Scone C&CC site.

CAMC have supposedly started putting a conventional bin alongside the huge skip bins for the use of people unable to lift the lids on the big bins. What a shame they didn’t leave the conventional bins where they were.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down