The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remis Vario 1 dome removal

3 posters

Go down

Remis Vario 1 dome removal Empty Remis Vario 1 dome removal

Post by natmat Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:53 pm

Has anyone removed just the dome on their AS, it's a large Remis Vario 1?

Would be good to know how, before I attempt to do it.

My thoughts are: 

1. push out the plastic lifter-arm hinge pins (one on each side, at the dome end of the arm)
2. push out the 4 external long plastic hinge pins at the front edge of the dome

1. looks/is easy
2. there's a bit of play, but will need some force to pull/push out and being plastic don't want to break them

Does anyone know how please?
natmat
natmat

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Remis Vario 1 dome removal Empty Re: Remis Vario 1 dome removal

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:59 pm

Here's a thread from motorhomefun which may be of help...

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/remis-vario-1-900x600.222329/

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:05 pm

I’ve just replaced the 700x500 Remis Vario 2 dome due to damage and my advice is quite simple … do not remove the dome unless you already have a replacement set of hinge pins and lifting-arm hinge pins. 

I had to break the lifting arm pins to remove them (as per Remis’s instructions) and most of the hinge pins on the leading edge of the dome were so brittle (UV exposure) that they broke while removing them. Remis’s instructions for dome replacement states that you should replace all the hinge pins with new, regardless.

You can buy a set of hinge pins from places like Leisureshopdirect but be aware that if they’re not in stock in the UK they can take a long time to come from Remis in Germany. We had to wait 11 months for our replacement dome and Remis seem to be a difficult supplier. I believe new AS vans are now fitted with Dometic roof vents, maybe for the same reason.

When inserting new hinge pins, in particular those on the leading edge of the dome, spray the hinge components with silicon to aid refitting.

You don’t say why you need to remove your roof dome. The risk of breakage isn’t insignificant and waiting for a replacement could be vexed. I didn’t have any choice, but came close to giving up on Remis and replacing the whole system with the same sized Dometic product. 

If it helps you I can post an image of the Remis instructions for dome replacement, though you should be able to find them on Remis’s website.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:40 pm

Leisure spares state that the Vario 1 is no longer manufactured but the Vario 2 can be used instead .

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by natmat Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:35 pm

I certainly wasn't expecting such quick replies, thank you.

That's good advice Kemerton-bath. I tried gently twisting and pulling the pins, but decided not to apply more force when they only moved a little. Was prepared to break those pins to replace with long Allen bolts. I haven't done that yet.

Based on Paulmold saying that Vario 1 is now old-stock only, I'll have to think of a way forward.

FYI I want to replace the dome, or attempt to repair it, because [1] its external surface is now concave and rain pools on it, [2] plus the rear edges' brackets have cracked the plastic. I was hoping to use heat (with boiling water) to make the dome pliable and pull it back into (and hold) its shape.  Broadway EB dripping water from Remis 

Annoyingly I didn't notice these faults when I bought this used MH until our first trip out. Of course the seller said it was fine when they had it, saying that "surely I'd have noticed it if it was broken when I did my thorough pre-purchase inspection". Sadly not thorough enough, so lesson learnt. (They may be on this forum and are welcome to comment.)
natmat
natmat

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:09 am

I looked back at the other thread you’ve linked above and then remembered the problem you had with water ingress and the dome not seating fully onto the sealing rubber.  If you haven’t resolved that issue, and now with the problem of the concave dome as well, maybe you need to consider a complete new system. Expensive I appreciate. If yours is the 900x600 size then I think you’re restricted to using Remis as Dometic don’t do that size if I recall.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down