The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Flair Bed Panel

5 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Flair Bed Panel Empty Autosleeper Flair Bed Panel

Post by AdrianCamperman Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:28 pm

Could anybody help source a roof bed panel for my 1995 Ford Transit Autosleeper Flair.
I have the panel that drops down and can be hooked up out of the way, it is the bed panel that pulls out to form the front of the bed. As shown inAutosleeper Flair Bed Panel Autosl10
Autosleeper Flair Bed Panel Autosl11 the photo.
AdrianCamperman
AdrianCamperman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ford Transit Custom
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Flair Bed Panel Empty Re: Autosleeper Flair Bed Panel

Post by Roopert Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:24 pm

Might be worth contacting the seller of the wreck that's currently on Ebay, as the photos of that show the bed panel still in place? He may decide that it's easier to part it out than sell the van complete...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by jonathancamp Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:05 pm

AdrianCamperman wrote:Could anybody help source a roof bed panel for my 1995 Ford Transit Autosleeper Flair.
I have the panel that drops down and can be hooked up out of the way, it is the bed panel that pulls out to form the front of the bed. As shown in the photo.

... just make them! It's only wood wrapped in thin foam and fabric.
jonathancamp
jonathancamp

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:14 pm

Maybe  someone with a Flair could provide the measurements.

Jonathancamp - first post since joining 4 years ago, where have you been?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

frederic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Flair Bed Panel Empty Bed Panels

Post by TrevorT Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:08 am

Hi I have two bed panels that i took out of my AS Legend GL as there is only me i didn't need the top bed panels they are in my garage. Dry no rot good condition your welcome to check them out but you will have to collect them, together they weigh about 28 kilos. I am in Bolton near Manchester if your interested let me know.
TrevorT
TrevorT

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ford AS Legend GL
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by jonathancamp Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:16 am

Paulmold wrote:Maybe  someone with a Flair could provide the measurements.

Jonathancamp - first post since joining 4 years ago, where have you been?

Ha Ha - yes sorry didn't think many folk had these old AutoSleepers. Mines a T5 Trooper pop top with a few issues. I do have (  up! ) the bed assembly, but it seems to me to be strictly for very small children - my girlfriend is only 5ft'something and tried to get up there! It's a space of about 1.5 ft and very tight! Plus the boards on their own are like sleeping on the floor! Who designed this obviously never tried to get a nights sleep up there. I'd hate to go up there and have to go to the loo in the middle of the night LOL it would be a 1/2 hour routine!

I use mine for storage on site to get crap out of the main area. It lets every mosquito in through the massive gaps the mechanism makes or we stuff it with towels to stop the * Inappropriate Word * if we can be bothered  scratch head

I REALLY wish I had thought about it when I bought it. The bed layout is tiny (with the units to one side) to sleep 2 comfortably and the with the top up there is little to no room up there to sleep. If someone make a conversion to a conventional reimo type flip top I'd of bought it. Even thought about trying to extend it myself as it's just not usable as a sleeping area. 

Anyway the rest of the van is 'ok' but now getting old. Looking to sell but needs some work... don't they all !
jonathancamp
jonathancamp

Male

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:02 pm

jonathancamp wrote:
I use mine for storage on site to get crap out of the main area. It lets every mosquito in through the massive gaps the mechanism makes or we stuff it with towels to stop the * Inappropriate Word * if we can be bothered

Same here - it's a useful space, but not for sleeping in! I suspect that it would be possible to fit a hammock-style bed in the roof (which is what A/S did on earlier conversions) and I think it would be more comfortable/usable than the bed boards.

BTW it was good of TrevorT to offer, but I doubt that the bed panels from a Legend would fit - I would expect them to be wider.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jonathancamp Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:37 am

Roopert wrote:
jonathancamp wrote:
I use mine for storage on site to get crap out of the main area. It lets every mosquito in through the massive gaps the mechanism makes or we stuff it with towels to stop the * Inappropriate Word * if we can be bothered

Same here - it's a useful space, but not for sleeping in! I suspect that it would be possible to fit a hammock-style bed in the roof (which is what A/S did on earlier conversions) and I think it would be more comfortable/usable than the bed boards.

BTW it was good of TrevorT to offer, but I doubt that the bed panels from a Legend would fit - I would expect them to be wider.

Yep, the hammock has been on my mind... Got some very industrial eye bolts ready to fit and a hammock about 4 years ago, they are still in the garage...

The best option so far for sleeping 2 "downstairs": I turn the passenger seat round and push all the way to the front. The gap between the end of the bed and the end of the passenger seat is bridged with a small adjustable (height) picnic table and a thick foam block (about 2ft square) to make level with the bed and the seat. My partner sleeps with her head up by the rear door and I sleep with my head up on the passenger seat, and over the (bridged) gap, so my head is on pillows on the passenger seat effectively. up!

That way we have a great gap around our faces (head to toe effectively). This allows for a much more comfortable nights sleep as our faces are not either (a) 2 inches apart all night or (b) facing the outside of the van with a 1 inch gap! Found it got very hot sleeping side by side conventionally and the pop top, well, not sure what they were thinking. Perhaps a cat could sleep up there!  lol4
jonathancamp
jonathancamp

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:35 am

The hammock-style beds that A/S fitted were based on a canvas-like fabric fixed between the edge of the pop-top opening and a full-length metal tube, which dropped into U-shaped fixings at each end. When not in use the fabric could be rolled up around the tube and stowed at one edge of the roof opening.

I slept in one once and found it was Ok in terms of comfort, but they were relatively narrow - presumably to stop it intruding into the roof space too much.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down