The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway. Location of electric step relay

4 posters

Go down

Broadway. Location of electric step relay Empty Broadway. Location of electric step relay

Post by JohnHolmes Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:10 pm

Does anyone know where the relay for the electric step on a Broadway EK is fitted and how can you access it for maintenance? The 4 wire cables from the steps appear to go behind the fridge. Thanks in advance.
JohnHolmes
JohnHolmes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Broadway. Location of electric step relay Empty Re: Broadway. Location of electric step relay

Post by JohnHolmes Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:26 am

Looking behind the fridge vent grill. It appears the four wires from the step motor change into 5 different coloured wires and go off towards the front of the fridge but no idea where to?
JohnHolmes
JohnHolmes

Male

Back to top Go down

Broadway. Location of electric step relay Empty Re: Broadway. Location of electric step relay

Post by Paulmold Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:52 am

Is there a silver or black box behind drivers seat? If there is that's the interface ec41/51, it will be there. Not really sure on a 2009 Broadway  if you have that box.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Broadway. Location of electric step relay Empty Step relay

Post by JohnHolmes Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:02 pm

Paulmold wrote:Is there a silver or black box behind drivers seat? If there is that's the interface ec41/51, it will be there. Not really sure on a 2009 Broadway  if you have that box.

Hi Paul, Thanks for quick response. Yes there's box called EM50 behind the driver seat and almost impossible to access. 
I know that provides engine battery power for the step out warning buzzer and automatic step withdrawal. It has nine fuses on it. Would the relay be inside that box?
JohnHolmes
JohnHolmes

Male

JohnHolmes likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:44 pm

JohnHolmes wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Is there a silver or black box behind drivers seat? If there is that's the interface ec41/51, it will be there. Not really sure on a 2009 Broadway  if you have that box.

Hi Paul, Thanks for quick response. Yes there's box called EM50 behind the driver seat and almost impossible to access. 
I know that provides engine battery power for the step out warning buzzer and automatic step withdrawal. It has nine fuses on it. Would the relay be inside that box?

The data sheet for the EM50 seems to say the relay is inside.

"Provides relay controlled fused outputs for
Battery Charging, Fridge, Marker Lights, *Air
Conditioner, Electric Step, Awning / Entry lights &
*Heater
Has inbuilt intelligent Electric Step Controller
providing push button operation, automatic
retract with warning buzzer, step-protect circuitry
and selectable automatic operation with the
central locking system"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

JohnHolmes likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnHolmes Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:25 pm

Thanks a lot Paul and Peter. Yes the EM50 has the right inputs and outputs and relays and I think this is where the problem probably is. Now I can test its inputs and output voltages with a multimeter and eliminate steps and wiring. The EM50 schematic.VSD will help with that. I don't suppose you would know where I can get a full electrical circuit and a board layout diagram which might help me diagnose down to individual components?
If not I will ring Sargent tomorrow. Thanks again.
JohnHolmes
JohnHolmes

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:31 pm

I would definitely have a word with Sargent, if only to convince yourself that the fault really does lie in that area. 

From what I remember of the unit it is not that easy to effect a repair being a multi layer board. Sargent do a board maintenance exchange and as it is all connectors in and out then it is relatively simple to do. As  you have commented, access is not easy insitu and you need to unscrew it from the floor to get at it.

Sorry, but it is too long ago to recall the costs but I don’t think it was that extortionate.

Regards Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:15 pm

Sargent don't quote a repair for the EM50, replacement is available at £150.11.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:17 pm

Well done Peter - you are always on the ball!

Just out of interest I did find it in my records, it was in August 2015 and Sargent classified it as a recondition repair, costing £42 plus VAT plus postage.

Such is progress……..

Regards Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnHolmes Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:27 am

Thankyou everyone. Its all working fine now. Intermittent "retracted" switch on the step! I cleaned and repositioned the step slightly lower and now it's as good as new. If the EM50 doesn't see that the step is "retracted" then it won't try to extend it. Rather a lot of dust in the EM50 but working fine. Noticed an old fashioned red LED on the front panel which appears to be normally "on". That's a small permanent drain on the vehicle battery! Some of the wiring was dodgy... reckon I'll get the solder iron out. 

I have to say I'm very impressed with this Forum. Thanks again for all your contributions. Oh and thumbs up to Sargent today. Excellent support. Refreshing in this day and age.

Best John
JohnHolmes
JohnHolmes

Male

spanner likes this post

Back to top Go down