The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto-Sleeper Stanton & general build quality

+2
Paulmold
Shockabilly
6 posters

Go down

Auto-Sleeper Stanton & general build quality Empty Auto-Sleeper Stanton & general build quality

Post by Shockabilly Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:02 pm

Hi all...having previously owned AS vans (going back to the 80's) we moved to Hymer for a number of years but are now looking to move back to the AS brand with an AS Stanton, so in short, I'd be interested to counsel views on general build standard of present models and in particular from owners of the Stanton.

I'm a realist & having had 5 vans from new am fully aware (painfully at times!) that irrespective of the marque, teething problems are the norm & dealers are, in the main, pretty useless once you driven off the forecourt (with the exception of Heart of England Motorhomes); indeed of my previous 5 Hymer's, two were complete dogs, two were ok-ish & one was trouble free for 9 years (which is why we kept it so long)...I still think our best van ever was a 89 AS Trident which is still going strong with another loving owner.

So, thanks in anticipation...

Last edited by Shockabilly on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shockabilly
Shockabilly

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Stanton & general build quality Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Stanton & general build quality

Post by Paulmold Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:28 pm

Welcome back to the fold. Refreshing to hear from a realiist who expects some problems, we hear so often ' not fit for purpose' and high expectations. You appreciate that these are built by humans not robots . I hope any niggles will be minor and you enjoy your new van.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Shockabilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Stanton & general build quality Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Stanton & general build quality

Post by Paramedic Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:44 pm

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum. Certainly agree, your expectations are in the real world.Ā  wave

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Shockabilly Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:49 pm

Thanks Paul & Paramedic...the main reason for switching from Hymer is appalling dealer back up, over complicated & unnecessary tech, but of greater importance is size, in that I mean Hymer seem to think every punter needs at least 7m plus to make them happy campers, whereas, we've always been happy with a 6m van. At least AS seem to be holding onto the fact that not everyone wants or indeed needs a leviathan!
Shockabilly
Shockabilly

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:44 pm

Hi
Welcome to the forum from BridingtonĀ 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:14 am

Hi Shockabilly. My first reaction is to say go to Heart of England and just wait till they have a Stanton in stock for you. I have been there a couple of times but never actually bought one. They were very friendly and helpful but just didn't have something that grabbed my attention at the time.
I think there is a distinction to be made between build quality and design quality. The first is how well the design is put together in the factory, and the second is "was it designed properly in the first place?". I don't know about the Stanton but if I was looking, I would lie on the ground under a rear wheel and observe how the chassis wiring is connected to the rear lights. If you see a good waterproof connection system, go ahead and crawl all over the rest of the vehicle. I was appalled at the way this was done on my Nuevo, the wiring was all falling to bits where they had just connected the lights using choc block connectors and left them open to the salt spray behind the rear wheels. Also the Truma heater was installed 180 degrees out compared to the manufacturer's instructions, leading to potential overheating and difficulty in any repair work that might have been needed. These are design faults, on top of any regular problems that as you say, you will get on a lot of new builds.
I would give serious consideration to the old A/S models, the only proviso being that the Government might compel them all to be scrapped in the future with their obsession with electric vehicles - which they can run because there are more electric charging points in the City of Westminster than there are in the whole of Scotland.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:19 am

If we all did what the Government want us to do and go all electric, the country would collapse overnight.
Imagine all electric vehicle owners coming home at 6pm, plugging in for a charge, TV on, Oven on, Computers on,massive power demand!!
The national power grid nearly collapses at Christmas anyway with over demand, so not much chance of everybody buying electric in my book anyway!
Never forgive the Labour Government who told us all to go out and buy a diesel car!!!
They are looking at ways to charge electric car owners for using the roads..........so watch that space!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:22 am

Hi Shockabilly,
Not a stanton but we collected our new Nuevo on the 21st May 22 so far the list is massive, two curtain tie backs had to have new studs and two locker catches had to be altered and sprayed.

I did change the Camera though as as described it as a reversing camera but in reality it was a rear view camera, now fitted with a twin lens camera and at least I can see what Iam backing into. lol
Pete

P.S We have bought our last two vans from West country Motorhome in Brent Knoll, they have been okay but on some issues on the last van we had to have a frank disscusion but they come good in the end.

Last edited by breakaleg on Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the P.S)
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down