The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lidl and Aldi carbon monoxide alarm

4 posters

Go down

Lidl and Aldi carbon monoxide alarm Empty Lidl and Aldi carbon monoxide alarm

Post by Ian777 Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:02 pm

Hi I need a carborn monoxide alarm for my camper, and I see Lidl and Aldi both selling them ,my question is can I use these or  do I have to buy one to suit a camper,regards Ian
Ian777
Ian777

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Flair
Vehicle Year : 1987

Back to top Go down

Lidl and Aldi carbon monoxide alarm Empty Re: Lidl and Aldi carbon monoxide alarm

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 pm

Either is fine, Lidl is sealed with non-replaceable battery, Aldi has replaceable battery.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Ian777 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Lidl and Aldi carbon monoxide alarm Empty Re: Lidl and Aldi carbon monoxide alarm

Post by Ian777 Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:30 pm

Thanks I go get one
Ian777
Ian777

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:52 pm

Paulmold wrote:Either is fine, Lidl is sealed with non-replaceable battery, Aldi has replaceable battery.
Are you sure about about these Paul?
I bought one, not from Lidle or Aldi, and it stated that it was not for use in caravans.
I fitted it anyway, will it work?
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 am

The BS standard for CO detectors is 50291. This was the standard for any domestic setting up 2011 when the standard was split into 2 parts, part 1 for domestic setting and part 2 for recreational vehicles. Sometimes referred to as type B. These alarms are higher-specced to resist corrosion, vibration and false alarms.
Lidl and aldi do not give the BS standard on their websites for these products.  I have never  seen a warning saying not suitable for  caravans on a CO detector but worth checking for that Bs 50291-1 or 50291-2.
I have seen such warning on smoke detectors as these can be too sensitive for example when cooking toast.

Donator
Donator

Male

Ian777 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Lidl and Aldi carbon monoxide alarm Empty Alarm

Post by Ian777 Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am

I did but the one from Aldi and also popped into Lidl last night and you can replace batterys in both types
Ian777
Ian777

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:20 pm

I also bought two alarms from Lidl last week with replaceable batteries. One for the home, the other for the MH when the present alarm, with non-replacable batteries, stops working.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pm

The lidl one states that it has a 7 year sensor, I thought that referred to the battery life like the fireangel. What BS standard is quoted on the product?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:38 pm

Paulmold wrote:The lidl one states that it has a 7 year sensor, I thought that referred to the battery life like the fireangel. What BS standard is quoted on  the product?
Hi Paul. On the box only of the product I purchased from lidl its stamped with the European Standard number of: EN 50291-1. For this product number it states on the box and instructions [as you have already explained] 'Not suitable for the use of caravans, mobile homes, or boats'.
Thank you Paul for letting us know about the availability of the alarm, it spurred me to buy not one, but two, at a reasonable price.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian777 Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:33 pm

Hi the one I got from Aldi for £9.99 is the same the number is EN50291-1-2018
Ian777
Ian777

Male

Back to top Go down