The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel changing

+5
IanH
mikethebike
Gambart
Suppersready
Glenny54
9 posters

Go down

Wheel changing  Empty Wheel changing

Post by Glenny54 Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:46 pm

Had to have a puncture repaired today so thought I'd get the spare wheel out of its holder to see how the carrier works,came off pretty easy,anyway thought I would  put spare on while I went to local tyre services.When I was looking at some posts they said another  set of wheel studs were needed for steel wheel but there wasn't any so I phoned dealer,they checked with Peugeot and they said the studs are the same for alloy or steel,looking at the back axle i suppose I'll need a wheel brace and a Stanley knife to get them spats off. scratch head
Glenny54
Glenny54

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium fb
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Wheel changing  Empty Re: Wheel changing

Post by Suppersready Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:58 pm

Mine were not removable … had to return to Willersey to have them cut off and made removable in case of a puncture ! . You should have three small cover caps on the outside to remove and then unscrew, then as you say a Stanley knife to carefully cut the seal around the outside.

Niall

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB

Glenny54 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gambart Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:28 pm

Hi All, I’m taking delivery of a new A/S burford in June. I think it has a spare wheel and I was wondering about it location and how easy it is to access it. Also does the jack, spanner, locking nuts etc come with it and where are they stored.
Gambart
Gambart

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Beresford
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenny54 Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:24 pm

Gambart wrote:Hi All, I’m taking delivery of a new A/S burford in June. I think it has a spare wheel and I was wondering about it location and how easy it is to access it. Also does the jack, spanner, locking nuts etc come with it and where are they stored.
As I said Peugeot claim the wheel studs fit both type of wheel but the torque is different,the spare is at the rear underneath on a hanger which has 2 clips to undo and it drops down,make sure you undo the air line from side of vehicle into tyre valve,,,,,,,,wouldn't like to do it on a wet day  allthumbz
Glenny54
Glenny54

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium fb

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:13 am

Glenny54 wrote:
Gambart wrote:Hi All, I’m taking delivery of a new A/S burford in June. I think it has a spare wheel and I was wondering about it location and how easy it is to access it. Also does the jack, spanner, locking nuts etc come with it and where are they stored.
As I said Peugeot claim the wheel studs fit both type of wheel but the torque is different,the spare is at the rear underneath on a hanger which has 2 clips to undo and it drops down,make sure you undo the air line from side of vehicle into tyre valve,,,,,,,,wouldn't like to do it on a wet day  allthumbz
When i had an underslung wheel it was easy to drop,BUT awkward and heavy to fit back. Never again at my age.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:30 am

The tools will be in a bag, made for them, usually under pax seat.
The wheel nut covers, I think, are plastic, there is actually a tool for removing them, a small screwdriver will do it, take care not to scratch the alloy wheel.

As others have said getting the wheel out from underneath is bad enough, getting it back is much worse.

HOWEVER if you're fitting it because of a puncture or whatever, then just put it inside the van. When you get your new tyre, have that fitted and get the tyre guys to replace the wheel inits carrier.

Pain in the but it may be but infinitely better than an aerosol which some non engineers think is an adequate substitute! My new to me car, bought yesterday has just that, but not for long, a space saver wheel is on its way!!

Sorry, re spats I now see what you mean, yes they will have to come off, just looking at them
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by road warrior Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:18 am

I am having new tyres fitted in the next few days, wil the tyre fitters be able to change the rear tyres easily or not as the wheel arch covers half the tyre doesn't it, is there anything I or they need to know to change them ?
road warrior
road warrior

Male

Auto-Sleeper : WINCHCOMBE
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:41 am

road warrior wrote:I am having new tyres fitted in the next few days, wil the tyre fitters be able to change the rear tyres easily or not as the wheel arch covers half the tyre doesn't it, is there anything I or they need to know to change them ?

I believe the issue of the wheel arch covers is limited to the Corinium model only. It’s more to do with the Alko chassis used on this model which has a beam axle, when jacked up the wheel does not drop enough to clear the wheel arches.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:12 am

road warrior wrote:I am having new tyres fitted in the next few days, wil the tyre fitters be able to change the rear tyres easily or not as the wheel arch covers half the tyre doesn't it, is there anything I or they need to know to change them ?

My Gloucester is same length and external configuration as the Winchcombe. The wheels are inset from the outside, release the wheel bolts and slide the wheel down and under to get it out. The tyre fitter will have no problems.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

road warrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by road warrior Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:20 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:

My Gloucester is same length and external configuration as the Winchcombe. The wheels are inset from the outside, release the wheel bolts and slide the wheel down and under to get it out. The tyre fitter will have no problems.
thanks for that - i confess i have little confidence in tyre places, thr place i always use has a big turnover in staff as they start and then realise they cold and wet and its hard work biggrin
road warrior
road warrior

Male

Auto-Sleeper : WINCHCOMBE

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:24 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:

Although with my Malvern that was the same as a Gloucester, after first declaring that they didn't need advice, I always had to show the fitter how to remove/replace the rear wheels in the manner Peter describes.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:08 pm

Glenny54 wrote:
The Burford is a M-B not a Peugeot.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:22 am

Glenny54 wrote:

Peugeot told me the wheel stud torque is 160 Nm for both the steel and alloy wheels. This is not relevant if the van is M-B.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down