The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pointers for a 2009 automatic Mercedes

4 posters

Go down

Pointers for a 2009 automatic Mercedes Empty Pointers for a 2009 automatic Mercedes

Post by perryw Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:28 pm

Hi,

I’m looking for pointers for any common faults I should look out for in a 2009 coachbuilt autosleeper based on a Mercedes sprinter automatic. I’m about to buy one and it seems v solid but I wanted to know if there is anything I should look out for… primarily from a mechanical perspective, but also habitation area. It’s one of the ones with the folding toilet/shower door. 

My knowledge of manual sprinters are that they are pretty much bulletproof, but I have no experience with the auto box. 

Thanks

Perry
perryw

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Pointers for a 2009 automatic Mercedes Empty Re: Pointers for a 2009 automatic Mercedes

Post by gemdeco Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi  I have had 3 sprinters latest is new, 1 manual and 1 auto, mileage should not be a problem unless it is spaceship miles, main thing is service history, it should have had a auto fluid change at 2 years old , It is pot luck really, my first auto at only 15,000 miles had ECU problems.I f you are buying from a dealer get a good warranty that allows you to take it to a MB dealer for repairs, I had a RAC warranty and was useless was expected to take it to Halfords for repairs. Fridges seem to give most problems with circuit boards failing, what model are you looking at
 Regards
 Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Pointers for a 2009 automatic Mercedes Empty Re: Pointers for a 2009 automatic Mercedes

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:44 pm

We had a 2011 Sprinter auto. It was a torque converter auto and very smooth. The only issue we had mechanically with the van was an intermittent starting problem which new starter relays cured. 

All told we found the Sprinter to be superior to the Boxer and Ducato, although the new auto box in the Fiat is a good match for the Merc box.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:44 pm

Mine is 2011. The handbrake is a drum in the middle of the rear disks from which debris needs to be regularly cleared otherwise they bind and overheat. The brakes are not the best at any time. The five speed auto is excellent. The fuel injectors failed fatally at just over three years but MB replaced FOC and no problems with engine since. Under 5 mph the suspension is soft and the van rocks and rolls (same when pitched in a high wind without steadies down) Over 5 mph drives like a sports car.

I wouldn't pay the premium for a new one again (unless like last time it was the only chassis on which I could get the conversion I wanted) but if in good condition the 2009 should be worth it.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by perryw Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:04 pm

That’s great thanks!

Is the 5 speed auto a torque converter gearbox, or is it one of these ‘fake’ autos where the clutch is managed by the ecu? I think they called them sensortronic or something (my Mitsubishi car is exactly that!

It’s just I read that with sprinter vans with a torque converter you just need to listen out for a rumble indicative of a tc problem. 

Thanks
perryw

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:41 pm

It's a torque convertor
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

perryw likes this post

Back to top Go down