The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanton Spare Wheel

+2
Tinwheeler
grahamsb
6 posters

Go down

Stanton Spare Wheel Empty Stanton Spare Wheel

Post by grahamsb Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:29 pm

sThe Stanton is without doubt very comprehensively equipped, but one essential it lacks is a spare wheel, due to the space taken up by the underslung tanks and the drive shaft to the rear wheels. The Merc roadside assistance is reassuring, but you have to have TWO! punctures before they will assist. I also have Breakdown Cover, but they will only assist by using the puncture spray sealant provided for use in the event of a puncture. We are then told that having used this puncture sealant a proper puncture repair cannot be carried out and a new tyre is required!!  

So, what I need for peace of mind is a spare wheel. With no room inside or underneath and as I don't need a bike rack, the natural place to fit the spare would be to attach a simple bracket to the fitted bike rack rails. BUT, I cannot find anyone who makes such a bracket.  

My question is simple. Does anyone manufacture a simple bracket to secure a spare wheel? I have seen motorhomes with glass fibre wheel covers fitted to the rear, but perhaps these are a standard fitting on some motorhomes? Of course, I could buy a cycle rack and modify it, but this would add unnecessary length at the rear. I would prefer something which adds little more than the width of the spare wheel. Any more and it negates the benefits of having a sub 6m motorhome. OK, it would take it just over 6m, but I would plan to remove it during ferry crossings, to avoid paying for a longer vehicle. 

Surely someone on this forum must have come up with a solution?
grahamsb
grahamsb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Stanton Spare Wheel Empty Re: Stanton Spare Wheel

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:09 pm

We had a bracket fabricated to allow us to mount the spare wheel on the towbar.

We bought the steel wheel off eBay, the budget tyre from our local dealer, steel wheel bolts from the Merc dealership, the wheel cover from eBay and a bike lock to secure it from The Range. 

Be aware the wheel with tyre is heavy and maybe too much for a bike rack fitted to your body shell.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:07 pm

With suitable internal load spreading, could this be suitable, bolted through the rear panel?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by grahamsb Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:14 pm

Thank you for the replies. As I have the bike rack bars factory fitted, I would prefer to use these and not create problems with the warranty.

Although I do not know the weights involved, I would have thought a basic spare wheel would not exceed the weight of two bikes. Also, the closer the wheel can be fitted to the bars, the less of a strain would be put on them.
grahamsb
grahamsb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:58 am

I would give the AS Service Centre at Willersey a call to see what they recommend.  Like Tinwheeler I would be concerned at the weight of a steel spare and whether the Fiamma bike rack fixings would be man enough for it.  Like you I hate not having a spare.  Fortunately the Nuevo does which is all the more important if CP tyres are fitted that are not as readily available as C tyres.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:13 am

Having a spare wheel and also two electric bikes, I would reckon the spare is nowhere near the weight of the bikes.    Haven't actually weighed it but I've heaved both about on numerous occasions.
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:58 am

Another thought is whether a temporary/emergency spacesaver can be fitted which would be a question for M-B.  I don't know if these are produced for vans.  If its the standard Stanton, it has the lowest payload of all A-S motorhomes of 278kg, so something else to consider.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:33 am

Does this previous post by Pete Taylor help?

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down