The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driver Seat Belt

+5
mcalid
Roopert
IanH
rogerblack
Jim3760
9 posters

Go down

Driver Seat Belt Empty Driver Seat Belt

Post by Jim3760 Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:46 pm

Good morning.

I have a constant battle with the drivers seat belt, we have a 2007 Nuevo.

The belt is fitted to the rear of the seat and I find it rather painful when in use so much so that I have devised a way of using the arm rest to keep it off my shoulder although it becomes useless should it be needed in a collision.

I presume there is a good reason why the belt is fitted to the back of the seat rather in the conventional place of on the “sidewall” if not could the belt be fitted in that place?

I have in the past seen something that is fitted at the top of the belt that brings it away from the fixing more, I do not have a clue what it is called hence a negative Google search, that said it might just be my mind playing tricks on me and no such thing has ever existed. 

Has anybody experienced this problem before?

Jim
Jim3760
Jim3760
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Driver Seat Belt Empty Re: Driver Seat Belt

Post by rogerblack Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:47 pm

Is this a feature of the base vehicle design rather than the AS conversion? If so it might help if you tell us the vehicle model as others with the same may have overcome this.

Meanwhile, would something like this help at all?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:52 pm

Odd one this
It appears that your base vehicle is a Peugeot Boxer, seems that way in the others I looked at.
In which case it was also a van, minibus, etc as well as a motorhome.
In my case I had 2 Warwick Duos, 2011 and 2013, both had seat belt on B pillar, the door closure pillar, with a height adjuster on it.
I wonder if that's still there on yours, perhaps hidden behind a trim panel. Must have been a lot cheaper to leave it, as built than remove it??
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:51 pm

That is strange - if you look at Boxers for sale (e.g. on Ebay) it appears that none have the seat belt built onto the seat.

What sort of arrangement do you have for the passenger seat belt - similar? In my experience it's very unusual to have a seat belt like that in a van - typically they are used either in seats where the back tilts forwards (in 2-door cars with rear seats) or where the whole seat is designed to be removable.

Is it possible that a previous owner has fitted a seat from a different vehicle? Odd though that might seem, it's not ~that~ unusual for people to do it, because they have found a seat from a different vehicle that is comfortable (and the Boxer seat is not, for them).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim3760 Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:17 am

Sorry, yes it is a Peugeot Boxer.
Both seats have the belts on the back of the seats.

Both pillars have trims on and in the centre is a narrow piece of trim when the rising part of the belt would be. Both trims are in as new condition so I would guess that neither have had seatbelts fitted.

Normally I can put up with most things but this seatbelt does give me a fair bit of discomfort
Jim3760
Jim3760
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:12 am

Virtual guarantee the correct seatbelt fixing point is behind that trim
If so then either a new belt, or, perhaps if lucky, the fixed end of the one you've got.
May be an idea to chat to your MOT guy?
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim3760 Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:11 am

Thanks Ian & Roger I will get somebody to look at moving or changing the belts, if no joy I will try the gizmo that Roger sent the link for
Jim3760
Jim3760
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:26 am

Jim3760 wrote:Thanks Ian & Roger I will get somebody to look at moving or changing the belts, if no joy I will try the gizmo that Roger sent the link for
I have a Nuevo with the same setup and it is very uncomfortable to wear the seatbelt for any length of time but I can't see any other option as the seat has to swivel when in Habitation and this would be a problem if attached to the door pillar I would think.
I use an offcut of foam rubber, works for me.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:33 pm

We bought a clip on thing to hold the seat belt off management neck. Being short she found the seat belt in our Landrovers rubbed her neck. It dosnt seem to be a problem on both the Transits we have had. The clip on the thing was left on the last Landrover by mistake when I sold it.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:38 pm

I doubt if they help a great deal but there are thousands of sleeves that wrap around the belt, some thin , some well padded. They won't hold the belt away but may make it a little more comfortable. Just search ebay for seatbelt comfort.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 pm

mcalid wrote:
Jim3760 wrote:Thanks Ian & Roger I will get somebody to look at moving or changing the belts, if no joy I will try the gizmo that Roger sent the link for
I have a Nuevo with the same setup and it is very uncomfortable to wear the seatbelt for any length of time but I can't see any other option as the seat has to swivel when in Habitation and this would be a problem if attached to the door pillar I would think.
I use an offcut of foam rubber, works for me.
Not sure I understand this, as one of our front seats (albeit the passenger side) has a swivel so it turns into the hab area yet whilst the retaining buckle swivels with the seat base, the seat belt and retraction mechanism is all mounted in the side door pillar as usual. 
I can't get my mind round why this would not always be possible, swivel seat or not?  scratch head

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Cymro and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi Everyone
          The Nuevo is a coachbuilt, so it either based on a chassis cab, or most probably chassis scuttle so not the same body as the, minibus,or Warwick. It may be that for safety reasons there is not enough strength in the B pillars to support seat belts
        Regards
         Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:56 pm

This may depend on when the Nuevo was built, but - for example - my 2015 Nuevo has the standard set-up of seatbelt described above by rogerblack:  " the retaining buckle swivels with the seat base, the seat belt and retraction mechanism is all mounted in the side door pillar "

On both front seats.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Driver Seat Belt Empty Seatbelt Adjuster

Post by Jim3760 Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:13 pm

rogerblack wrote:Is this a feature of the base vehicle design rather than the AS conversion? If so it might help if you tell us the vehicle model as others with the same may have overcome this.

Meanwhile, would something like this help at all?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I tried this whilst it helped a little it did not sort it out sufficiently I think it is because of the position of the seatbelt, I tried it in my car and it made more difference.

Thank you for the link, I will look into the possibility of moving the belt to the more conventional position.
Jim3760
Jim3760
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down