The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear view mirror cam

+3
IanH
v8oholic
hpatel
7 posters

Go down

rear view mirror cam Empty rear view mirror cam

Post by hpatel Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi All - i want to install a rear view cam . monitor goes on the rear view mirror. on my symbol i have a rear view mirror which is useless as you can see anything 
Looking around there seems to be rear can which connects to a display which is clipped on to the mirror. i dont want a reserving camera but a camera that you can look back when driving.
Hope this makes sense
Harry
hpatel
hpatel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

rear view mirror cam Empty Re: rear view mirror cam

Post by v8oholic Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:51 pm

If I were you, I would look for a dual camera system that gives you both a normal rear view and a reversing camera view as well. The rear view camera is normally enabled all the time, until the vehicle is put in reverse, then it shows the parking camera view. If you’re going to go to the trouble of fitting something, I think it’s worth the effort. The one fitted in my Symbol from the factory only has the reversing view.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:21 pm

Harry
Go to members factsheets section, go to executive new project, its all in there
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:11 am

Hi Harry,
I recently changed my factory fitted camera to a twin lens camera even though the factory fitted camera along with the van of course was just a few months old.

I have had these cameras many years now and wouldn't be without one, I find that the reversing part is the most important, more so than the rear view.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:17 pm

From new I specified a rear view camera display that clips to the rear view mirror. It is activated when reverse gear is selected or manually turned on with the small remote when going forwards.
What the camera sees has been adjust to aid reversing, whilst I could view a car tailgating or waiting for the traffic lights to change, the camera looks too much straight down to look at the rear bumper. What is missing is a rear view to aid pulling out to overtake, to check for example that the car behind hasn't already started an overtaking manoeuvre.. For these reasons I think having a dual camera arrangement would be an advantage.

Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:01 pm

We have a Camos Jewel camera fitted that swaps between two views: long view for traffic when driving and close up (i.e., downwards) for parking. It's fine, but I don't find the driving road view very helpful: the camera makes everything look much too far away, which could be quite dangerous as vehicles behind me appear a lot further away than they are! It's a handy backup, but I still rely on my door mirrors for accurate information.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Andril1954 Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:48 pm

I had a rental during the summer with a twin camera so you could use it as a rear view mirror so when I bought my van I was a bit disappointed that it only had a parking camera. However I'm not bothered now as I find the door mirrors and side windows just as useful if not better. It's a good idea to learn what the real position of traffic behind is related to the position of the image in the mirror e.g. overtaking on a motorway/dual carriageway once the entire front of the vehicle being passed appears in the left hand mirror I know I'm clear and can move over.
NB anyone know what use the little mirror at the bottom serves.
Andril1954
Andril1954

Male

Auto-Sleeper : KemertonXL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down