The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes with Semi-Air suspension

3 posters

Go down

Mercedes with Semi-Air suspension Empty Mercedes with Semi-Air suspension

Post by grahamsb Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 9:36

I would like to hear from anyone who has fitted Semi-Air suspension to a Mercedes Sprinter Auto Sleeper. What did they fit and how effective was it?
grahamsb
grahamsb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Mercedes with Semi-Air suspension Empty Re: Mercedes with Semi-Air suspension

Post by GrahamF Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 9:57

I have a Worcester Sprinter based van.

Being disappointed in the bangs and crashes over potholes etc, I went in for the Dunlop semi-air suspension. Basically this replaces the rear rubber bump stops with a simple airbag.

In truth I couldn’t tell any difference. Soon after there was a good discussion on the forum reference correct tyre pressures. After a quick visit to a weigh bridge and reference to my manufacturers loading/pressure data I was able to reduce the pressures by a considerable amount. Result was a big improvement in ride quality and I have been running them like that for many years since then.

So, unless you have already done it then get your pressures right first.

That is my experience but you will find many other contributors on here that will swear by air suspension units. That’s life I suppose!

Regards Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by grahamsb Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 10:15

Thank you Graham, that's very helpful. 

I was hoping that replacing the bumper stops with softer air cushions would eliminate, or at least reduce the crashes and bangs.
grahamsb
grahamsb

Male

Back to top Go down

Mercedes with Semi-Air suspension Empty Air suspension

Post by bigtallgeezer Fri 29 Oct 2021 - 20:30

grahamsb wrote:I would like to hear from anyone who has fitted Semi-Air suspension to a Mercedes Sprinter Auto Sleeper. What did they fit and how effective was it?

Hi, I have the Dunlop suspension on the rear of my Burford Duo, which was on when I bought it. I can’t compare it to a standard version obviously, but compared with previous motorhomes I’ve owned, it seems to stop some of the ‘wallowing’ on corners I’ve experienced in the past. I’m also really stable in windy conditions, and the blowing about experience when being overtaken by 40 tonners!

I’m on my first European tour in it right now and will probably experiment with slightly lower tyre pressures than I have at the moment, and use different pressures in the air bags too.

Cheers
bigtallgeezer
bigtallgeezer

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by grahamsb Sat 30 Oct 2021 - 9:46

bigtallgeezer wrote:
grahamsb wrote:I would like to hear from anyone who has fitted Semi-Air suspension to a Mercedes Sprinter Auto Sleeper. What did they fit and how effective was it?

Hi, I have the Dunlop suspension on the rear of my Burford Duo, which was on when I bought it. I can’t compare it to a standard version obviously, but compared with previous motorhomes I’ve owned, it seems to stop some of the ‘wallowing’ on corners I’ve experienced in the past. I’m also really stable in windy conditions, and the blowing about experience when being overtaken by 40 tonners!

I’m on my first European tour in it right now and will probably experiment with slightly lower tyre pressures than I have at the moment, and use different pressures in the air bags too.

Cheers
Thank you for your input.

The Merc does of course have soft suspension and that's one of the reasons we chose it. On main roads it glides along comfortably. In fact, I find it very relaxing on long journeys. It is at lower speeds, on uneven surfaces that, like other conversions, it crashes and bangs. It is this that I would like to improve. 

Although the semi-air is supposed to soften the impact, I cannot find anyone who can testify to this. Before spending the money, it would be helpful to have some first hand knowledge.
grahamsb
grahamsb

Male

Traveling likes this post

Back to top Go down