The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Mail dumping parcels on the doorstep

4 posters

Go down

Royal Mail dumping parcels on the doorstep  Empty Royal Mail dumping parcels on the doorstep

Post by Dbvwt Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:19 am

I was a Saturday postie about 5 years ago and just leaving a parcel on the doorstep was a definite no no, you brought the parcel back to the sorting office if you got no reply. Even delivery to a neighbour was only introduced around that time.
Recently I’ve noticed a marked change in things with RM parcels simply being left on the doorstep whether I’m in or away for a few days. Luckily my neighbours are very good and notice them. I even found a ‘signed for’ behind a bin, the tracking info said I’d signed for it, I was 100 miles away at the time!!
The couriers have been guilty of this for years but it now seems RM are just as bad. I realise Covid meant things were done differently but it now seems to be the norm.
Anyone else noticed this trend?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Royal Mail dumping parcels on the doorstep  Empty Re: Royal Mail dumping parcels on the doorstep

Post by Paulmold Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:43 am

Yes been happening a while now. Signed for proof can be seen on line with just a squiggle of a signature. I'm sure it's on their website now that signed for parcels are simply left. At least courier services send you an email with photo of parcel where they left it but that's not proof that it wasn't then removed by the driver (or anyone else). I now try not to buy anything that may be delivered whilst away, whereas previously I would be happy to pick up from sorting office.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Royal Mail dumping parcels on the doorstep  Empty Re: Royal Mail dumping parcels on the doorstep

Post by rogerblack Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:35 pm

Personally, I'd rather they left parcels on the doorstep, as Amazon and most other couriers now do, than take them back to the PO depot as it's a pain to get to, there's no parking and it delays delivery by a day. 

Our doorstep is not visible from the road so it is perfectly safe there; for those where it's on or visible from the street and hence potentially likely to be pinched then I understand the concern.

What really annoys me is when you're expecting a parcel via Royal Mail or Parcelforce and you wait in, but postie doesn't knock or ring the bell and shoves a card through the door then shoots off.  I did catch one once up the neighbours drive and he rather shamefacedly admitted he hadn't carried the parcel out from the depot as 'it was bulky and his bag was too full'- he promised to get it out next day. It wasn't our usual postie so it wasn't held against him come Christmas box time!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:07 pm

Our postie leaves it with a neigbour.Its usually me being retired.!Same with Amazon etc.
Can also leave it if waterproof in back garden.
Service is stretched like all others with a backlog   ongoing.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down