The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bracelands wild boar

4 posters

Go down

Bracelands wild boar Empty Bracelands wild boar

Post by Sally Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:00 pm

I don’t suppose anyone has experience of staying on the Bracelands camping in the forest site, and knows a walk from the camp itself that has a reputation for seeing wild boar. 

I know it’s highly unlikely, but if you don’t ask…..
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Bracelands wild boar Empty Re: Bracelands wild boar

Post by Dbvwt Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:11 pm

Stayed there a couple of years ago on the way home from a lovely trip to Wales.
No sign of Boar despite walks in the forest. My lasting memory was the big hike back up to the site from the river, it was so easy on the way down especially with the pub at the bottom smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:23 pm

Many years ago whilst travelling in Normandy France during the day, a wild boar suddenly shot out from the hedge and ran along side just in front of our Commer campervan. Almost as soon as it appeared it slowed and went back into the hedge. Perhaps if we'd been going more slowly it might have chanced overtaking the van and attempted a crossing of the road in front of us, who knows if it would have managed this.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shipbadger Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:59 am

As a Forest of Dean resident the general opinion locally is that the boar are now either significantly reduced in number by the cull or are keeping deeper within the forest.  Sightings are considerably reduced this year. During the day you may stumble across the boar as they rest up, but first thing in the morning or at dusk are more likely times as they hunt for food.  Signs of recent boar activity are fairly obvious where they have dug up the verges with their snouts.  I don't know of any sure way of seeing them but my son used to work at Whitemead Park overnight and the boar visited regularly in the wee small hours.  Obvioulsy other things to look out for are the deer and if you are very lucky you may even spot one of the re-introduced pine martens, they are now about 40 of them apparently.

Tony Comber
shipbadger
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:50 pm

shipbadger wrote:As a Forest of Dean resident the general opinion locally is that the boar are now either significantly reduced in number by the cull or are keeping deeper within the forest.  Sightings are considerably reduced this year. During the day you may stumble across the boar as they rest up, but first thing in the morning or at dusk are more likely times as they hunt for food.  Signs of recent boar activity are fairly obvious where they have dug up the verges with their snouts.  I don't know of any sure way of seeing them but my son used to work at Whitemead Park overnight and the boar visited regularly in the wee small hours.  Obvioulsy other things to look out for are the deer and if you are very lucky you may even spot one of the re-introduced pine martens, they are now about 40 of them apparently.

Tony Comber
I’m astounded by just how much boar activity can be seen. On the tracks through the forest near Bracelands there’s considerable activity every few yards, all dug up, with snout marks and prints. Some is clearly very fresh. But the only boar I’ve seen is a dead one on the main road near Beechenhurst!

I was lucky enough to see deer several times in camp. But the Pine Martin remains elusive.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:18 pm

While I didn’t see any, I did hear one on the last evening.  I went for a stroll at dusk, on the track just outside camp.  Only a short distance away I heard a very loud, obviously very large one, perhaps 50-100 metres away.  As it was getting quite dark I decided hearing it was enough!
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down