The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On-line vs shop prices

+4
Askit
inspiredron
RogerThat
rogerblack
8 posters

Go down

On-line vs shop prices Empty On-line vs shop prices

Post by Guest Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:08 pm

I need two new tyres for the car and being electric there are real benefits in "A" rated tyres for fuel economy. After some research opted for Pirelli Cinturato P7 Blue. Not a huge variation on the prices on line so was looking at local tyreshops to compare. National Tyres quote on line £117 fully fitted and disposal included so £234 for the two.

Out of curiosity I called in at the branch that would be used primarily to find if they had stock so had to ask them to quote. Yes they had stock and it would be £348 fully fitted censored!, over £100 more than the Web price.

It can be a bit of a faff doing such research and it is hard for High St retailers to compete with the Web as a whole but this two prices from the same company.

Back home, ordered on-line, booked in for Monday.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

On-line vs shop prices Empty Re: On-line vs shop prices

Post by rogerblack Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:35 pm

I've found the same with some items in Halfords in the past - shelf price higher than the web price, or special multibuy deals only shown on the web site.

So whilst actually in the store, I've placed an online order for collection and ten minutes later paid the lower prices!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

frederic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:05 pm

I've used both "Tyres on the drive" and "black circles" in recent years (for my car), combined with Quidco.

There is something to be said for the hassle free they-come-to-you service.

RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:50 pm

I used Tyres on the Drive for the van, a reasonable price but more importantly the ONLY supplier who could get all 4 tyres at once. There was no surcharge at the time and I am not sure if it was the case then but they are now part of Halfords and invoke a surcharge for the privilege of having a visit of £20
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:08 pm

Many years ago I used National and saved a lot by buying online and getting them fitted at my local branch. The branch were not upset. I think that National just regard it as a bonus if they sell tyres to passing trade. It's very unfair to those who are less savvy or less able!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:48 am

Last month, my wife needed two new low profile tyres for her car. She checked all the usual suspects including Halfords. She eventually got the lowest price from Asda online, with fitting arranged at a location of your choice.

She got them fitted at..........Halfords  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:02 am

I have a small policy for buying, well, almost anything.
If I can buy it locally I will do so, many reasons, it's in front of me I can see, feel, touch it. My money goes to a local business so there's a chance it'll still be there next time I want something.
However, I give this just two attempts, if neither has or would have to order in with an order charge, I'm straight off to the internet.
In that way local business gets the first chance. In most cases I don't bother about cost unless its a huge difference.

As an aside, I bought something from Czechia recently, they told me it would be delivered next day! Bought similar some weeks ago it took 10 days.

Paid for this one 1440 day 1, arrived on doorstep 1210 next day!! Tracking showed it had gone from seller to Prague, to Leipzig by truck, to East Midlands by air, to Cambridge, by van from Cambridge to here. Quite awesome I think you'll agree!

Slightly off tyre post, sorry!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:12 am

Askit wrote:Last month, my wife needed two new low profile tyres for her car. She checked all the usual suspects including Halfords. She eventually got the lowest price from Asda online, with fitting arranged at a location of your choice.

She got them fitted at..........Halfords  shrugg
That is interesting our son just bought four new tyres for his van from Asda on line and had the same experience, way cheaper than anyone else and fitted for free at ..... halfords!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 am

I asked my local protyre branch for the difference between  his price as blackcircles price fitted at hi depot. His answer was if you have a warranty issue he is not responsible for tyres bought through blackcircles whereas if bought from him, then he would deal with returning tyres for examination and replacement.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaphead Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:48 am

My dog has recently been diagnosed as diabetic.  I got the initial insulin and needles from our Vet at a cost of £20 per bottle for insulin and £10.99 for a pack of 10 needles.

I searched on the internet and discovered I can buy 10 bottles of the same insulin (with a prescription from my Vet) for £66  including delivery (needs cool pack packaging).  I also found that I can purchase identical needles for £11 per 100 plus £4 delivery.

I am not getting at the Vet, he has a lot of overheads but at these prices, the treatment of my dog has become much less of a financial burden.  Fortunately, my dog is insured with the Kennel Club who are more than happy to pay for the insulin and needles etc. leaving us only 20% of this vastly reduced on going cost.

My Vet is supportive and provides a 6 month prescription willingly for a small charge and asked me where I purchased the needles at such a competitive price as it is less than he is paying.

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down