The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installed Windows 11!

+5
IanH
RML
Askit
Mike187
roli
9 posters

Go down

Installed Windows 11! Empty Installed Windows 11!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:37 pm

Lasted a total of two hours then rolled back!

Echoes of Windows 8 or even Vista (god forbid) So my prediction is 9 months for Windows 11(take 2) or 11.1 in which case Windows 12 should go the way of Windows 9

They promised Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows, Microsoft should stick to their promises hugegrins
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Installed Windows 11! Empty Re: Installed Windows 11!

Post by roli Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:25 am

What do you think of it ?  I have been told its a bit Appleish which maybe not a bad thing.

Seems months since I started getting the development emails, but never bothered as the PC it would have gone on to try isnt capable of running it. Like you point out MS said 10 would be the last and updated.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Certainly that is a suggestion which I am not sure Microsoft would be too pleased with that comparison.

Given that much of the changes are centred around the interface rather than huge changes under the bonnet I have my doubts about the new hardware requirements. Microsoft have made TPM2 mandatory on the basis of being more secure but it tends to make anything more than 4-5 years old as not capable of being upgraded. Initially I made the mistake of assuming as used to be the case this required a plug in module but it turns out later processors have it integrated and just needs enabling in the BIOS. Mine is an ASUS H370 with an Intel i5-9600k (Q4-18) so needed PTT turning on. The ones that benefit are hardware manufacturers selling new machines and by extension Microsoft because they sell a new license instead of having to give out upgrades because of their prior promises.

I have rolled back as all the personal optimisations gets compromised. The start menu gets reset back to default with new junkware. I also run a dual monitor setup with taskbars either side. Windows 11 only allows the taskbar along the bottom and only one having the clock. 3 months ago a Microsoft engineer promised it would be resolved and "thank you for your feedback"

Just as well Windows 10 will remain on support until 2025
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:53 pm

Thank you for your comments which I think will be of value to our members.

Topic came up on a radio net today and my suggestion to those with older machines who were not going to be replaced when support stops on 10,   Linux Mint can be set up to look like good old Windows 7
roli
roli

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:46 pm

If you imagine a 4 year old machine today still being able to run Win10 until 2025 by then it’s going to owe nothing. 

One saving grace of this apparently limited “upgrade” is there is no real reason why an application cannot continue to work on 10 in the future. Windows 10 has proved to be a very stable O/S so there’s little pressure for the upgrade. 

The main reason why I found 11 unusable and rolled back is the Touch interface on my Surface Pro. Touch allows gestures and virtually the only one I use is the swipe down to close a program, guess which one no longer works!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:50 pm

I see Microsoft are rowing bake on the requirement for TPM2 and allowing installation of 11 without it but without security updates (at present).

I don’t think I will be rushing to update, our laptop is probably 9 or 10 years old, bought when 64bit first came in, works well with 10 but struggles with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom. A new battery will keep it running until 10 is not supported, only used now for general use, overtaken by tablet for other uses.

My desktop was a high spec self build eight years ago and is still capable but ideally the graphic card could be updated. Microsoft tells me it won’t run 11, TPM2 and unsupported processor. I would have to replace the motherboard, processor, memory just to run 11 unless there is some real advantages, which there doesn’t seem to be, I’ll stick with my present system and just replace the graphics card and spend the money on a new monitor to replace one that the colours are deteriorating.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:06 pm

The CPU requirements for i series starts at 8th generation so that puts a red cross against my wife's laptop.

CPU compatibility list

[url=https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp]Windows PC Health Check APP[/url]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:33 pm

I've got a little message on my desktop from those nice people at MS telling me Win 11 is ready to download. After the experience of doing it with Win 7, I don't think I'll bother.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 pm

Certainly wouldn't yet. 

Lots of cosmetic changes. Due to a redesigned start menu all customisations are kicked out and to add insult to injury more junkware gets brought to the front so requires some cleanup time.

Android Apps can now be run within Windows without emulators needing to be installed. Personally can't think of a single one I would want.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:29 am

We have a laptop running W10 and a desktop running Ubuntu so I'm not looking to upgrade anything.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:34 am

I'd infinitely rather have kept Win7, indeed might revert.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:31 am

Hi wave

Yet again Microsoft deliberately obsolete millions of perfectly usable PCs.  sensored1  so angry Apart from the environmental impact many people are having enough difficulty making ends meet without having to think about new PCs.  shrugg

HairyFool wrote: Microsoft should stick to their promises hugegrins
lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4 lol4

roli wrote: my suggestion to those with older machines who were not going to be replaced when support stops on 10,   Linux Mint can be set up to look like good old Windows 7

allthumbz My operating system of choice (recommended by yourself several years ago - thanks), problem is the less tech savy amoung us will find it "challenging". There is also the problem of programs that will not run in WINE.

That said from my point of view there is a native Linux program for everything I need to do. Still need Windose for work though. shrugg

Brod

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:37 am

Same here - all of my computers run Mint, except for one that can boot into either Win10 or Mint. And that almost never runs Windows.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:58 am

I think a lot of people will have got fed up with Microsofts' broken promise of No New Versions of windows,  and if shown Mint will realise it can be set up to look (almost) like the Windows they are used to.

Out of all the Techy's at our radio club only 1 had has updated 1 of his pc's to date.

If you are fed up with changes do consider Rooperts set up, for the odd program that needs to be run on Windows its still there but for normal day to day use you will find Linux Mint very acceptable 

Apart from the 2 iPads we have 4 Pcs here in use, the 2 older ones have specific use related to radio and work fine.  Neither of the 2 laptops are supposed to be upgradable so I didn't bother evaluating 11 on the Windows Insider Project
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:33 pm

I am still on windows 7  cannot see the need to change.have a tablet but rarely use.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:31 pm

None of our equipment can run Windows 11, I've 2 PCs on W10, 3 PCs, an old laptop on Ubuntu Mate and a dual boot Mint and Manjaro PC I've used for OS evaluations. I don't need another PC whatever Microsoft wants of me.

I've not provided a link but I did visit today a website which reported that you should possibly be able to install W11 on some older PCs but you might not get any updates, or they might suddenly stop providing updates.So I believe you can currently install W11 on a PC whose hardware isn't approved by Microsoft for W11.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:28 am

Hi wave
Relaxez-Vous wrote:So I believe you can currently install W11 on a PC whose hardware isn't approved by Microsoft for W11.

Yes, I’ve been told that  you can’t upgrade (it will be refused) but you can install manually from scratch. I assume you would still need some form of TPM but I don’t know for sure. I’ve also seen some registry “hacks” that are supposed to fool the system into upgrading. I’ve not tried any so can’t comment.

Microsoft say it’s all about security. I say it’s more about getting us to pay Microsoft so that we can carry on doing exactly what we did before. so angry

It seems to me that there are better solutions for most people as mentioned earlier in this thread so why bother upgrading at all?

daisy mae wrote:I am still on windows 7  cannot see the need to change.have a tablet but rarely use.
up! You and many others.  hugegrins

Brod.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:17 pm

brodco wrote:Hi wave

Microsoft say it’s all about security. I say it’s more about getting us to pay Microsoft so that we can carry on doing exactly what we did before. so angry 

daisy mae wrote:I am still on windows 7  cannot see the need to change.have a tablet but rarely use
As for the majority the upgrade will be free I am not sure where they will "pay Microsoft" for the upgrade. Even where it leads to hardware sales for the privilege of running Windows 11 Microsoft's cut is fairly small as they don't provide end user support on OEM installs

The fact is Windows is extremely stable, I haven't had a crash for getting on to a decade now and there is a significant part of my software library that is not available on any other platform. If all you do is play around with the internet then all you need is a Chromebook anyway.

The big reason why to not use Windows 7 is it hasn't been issued security updates for years. Individual users are not the targets for security hacks but the hackers do not really care about collateral damage.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:57 pm

I have my own security on windows 7 anyway the programmes I use  will not run on anything higher than 7 , so will not change.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:00 am

daisy mae wrote:I have my own security on windows 7 anyway the programmes I use  will not run on anything higher than 7 , so will not change.
I still wouldn't be too complacent. Even AVG, who are one AV provider that still runs on W7, state the an "unsupported OS will never be 100% secure".

It is because large companies are still running programs that will not run on a higher OS that they still use Windows 7. In most cases they pay Microsoft to fix vulnerabilities but because they do they effectively "own" those fixes so Microsoft cannot release them as updates. I suspect the largest users are probably the military of various countries. I know of one encryption system that controlled military fibre links ran on Windows NT 4 many years after it went off support. Whistle1
Anonymous

Back to top Go down