The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo

2 posters

Go down

External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo Empty External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo

Post by BP Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:03 pm

We purchased our Nuevo in May and have made full use of it over the summer, but now its time to do a little work on it before putting it away forwinter.
There looks to be some evidence of historic damp on the external wall beneath the sink, though we have monitored it over the summer and it doesn't appear to be getting any worse.
My intention is to reseal the external joints using  Sikaflex 522 after the appropriate cleaning I can identify the two main seams at the rear of the vehicle, one at the top and below and the two seams above the drivers cab, but I'm wondering if it would be prudent to seal the plastic skirts with run around the lower body, there doesn't appear to be any sealant there at the moment and could sealing them be detrimental.
I would welcome any advice from other members experience, many thanks in advance, Brian.
BP
BP

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK 2 berth
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo Empty Re: External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:50 pm

Hi BP
Welcome to the forum from Bridington, I had a 09 Nuevo and a 08 Sigma, both vans were re sealed along the joints, I removed the old sealant with an old credit card, the rubber seal was cleaned by holding back the rubber and cleaning out the muck with a tooth brush.
I re sealed the roof vents too.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo Empty Re external seam maintenance 2007 Nuevo

Post by BP Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi Boaby, Thanks for a couple of useful tips there the credit card and the toothbrush, did you use white spirit to clean your joints prior to resealing them ? Brian
BP
BP

Male

Back to top Go down

External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo Empty Re: External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:20 pm

Cleaned of any thin old sealant with spirt,then cleaned the seals again with a damp warm cloth to clean of any spirt so the new sealant can be applied on a dry surface.
The credit card idea came from cruzin comet some years ago,
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo Empty Caulking maintanance

Post by BP Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:52 pm

Made a start today, the forecast was sunshine all day, spent a lot of time cleaning the two joints on the rear of the Nuevo and was quite pleased with how well the resealing all went, then I looked behind me and saw an ominous sky approaching.
The sky delivered what it promised and we had a very heavy downpour, but luckily when I inspected it latter the Sikaflix had skinned enough for it not to be damaged, but further dark Skys were approaching, so I called it a day.
Having made a start, the task is not so daunting as it first appears and I'll sleep easier over winter knowing the job has been completed.
I was amazed to learn via YouTube, that new RV's in America, which are I assume built along similar lines to our caravans and motorhomes, are only guaranteed for ninety days from manufacture and owners are advised to carry out an inspection every ninety days after that, it doesn't seem to have the same priority over here.scratch head
BP
BP

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:21 am

Keep an eye on the inside coach work too BP, I used to check the wood screws inside the wardrobe outside wall wooden frame. And any other areas i could get to.
After sitting in a storm in Whitby ,I was amazed how  much the body work creaked, went around with a Philips screw driver and tightened lots of screws.   up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

External seam mantainance on 2007 Nuevo Empty Re: External seam maintenance 2007 Nuevo

Post by BP Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks for that Boaby, I was wondering how I was going to fill in my winter days productively scratch head
My next project it to try and sort out the habitation door which has some damage to the internal plastic lining and the top door latch isn't operating correctly, from what I've read the rod connecting it can become disengaged, all part of the fun.
BP
BP

Male

Back to top Go down