The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locker door fallen apart!

4 posters

Go down

Locker door fallen apart! Empty Locker door fallen apart!

Post by inspiredron Mon 20 Sep 2021 - 0:42

We are in Wales, second trip since lockdown. The doors to the over sink lockers on my Lancashire are a sheet of curved perspex slotted into a wooden batten at both top and bottom.
Yesterday my wife was closing one of these lockers when the perspex and bottom batten parted company from the hinge batten. It seems that the thin line of glue has degraded. I have managed to make a temporary repair using some shiny paper as a full length shim over the edge of the perspex until I return home when I will reglue it using clamps to ensure a decent bond between wood slot and perspex.
Might be worth checking integrity of your doors?

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Locker door fallen apart! Empty Re: Locker door fallen apart!

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon 20 Sep 2021 - 10:39

Thanks for the warning, I have those type of doors, will have a look. Have noticed one "chrome " strip embellishment coming unstuck.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Mon 20 Sep 2021 - 16:45

Mine went in exactly the same way 6 months ago on my 2012 Worcester - as you say it must be glue degradation.

I opted for the usual Araldite to refix it as it dries clear. You obviously need to try and judge the quantity used carefully to avoid too much squeeze out. Anyway it seems to have held OK since.

Good luck - Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon 20 Sep 2021 - 21:20

Thanks for the suggestion, Graham. I want to try putting adhesive into the slot and then using g clamps while it sets.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue 21 Sep 2021 - 10:39

What a coincidence. Ours fell apart in France last week, it was nearly 30 degrees so I thought that may have been the culprit. Luckily always have araldite in the tool kit and like Graham quickly fixed it.
Unlike the truma combi water heater...... tap_fingers
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Tue 21 Sep 2021 - 21:30

Hate to say it but my Truma combi electrical elelement has just failed.

Planned obsolescence or what!

Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue 21 Sep 2021 - 22:21

Mine is I think the combustion fan, error code six. This comes straight after a new pcb in the fridge and new pump in the heads. Just the oven to go now!
As you say planned obsolescence but at least I now know everything is new and how to fix it!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed 22 Sep 2021 - 0:01

groundhog wrote:Mine is I think the combustion fan, error code six. This comes straight after a new pcb in the fridge and new pump in the heads. Just the oven to go now!
As you say planned obsolescence but at least I now know everything is new and how to fix it!
My combustion fan had to be replaced in May. It was a £400 job! AND I had removed the wardrobe front to give access. Had I not done that there would have been another £100 plus on labour.  I took it straight to Truma at Uttoxeter. Got there at 8:30am and was away at about 11:00. You are correct that error 6 is combustion fan. That part alone is £250 plus VAT and labour is £70 plus vat per hour. Tony, the engineer was good and gave the unit a full service while it was on the.bench.. He had hoped to replace the fan in situ but there was insufficient clearance. I was charged 90 minutes labour which seemed fair. I felt it was worth the trip even though their Covid rules were heavy and I was sat in the open on a bench with no shelter or loo for 2 hours. £250 for the fan is extortionate but it's a German company and they have you over a barrel.
My dometic Aircon is also misbehaving after its lockdown idleness for 2 years!
PS Just noticed that you are in Bodmin area - Uttoxeter may be too far!

Last edited by inspiredron on Wed 22 Sep 2021 - 0:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed 22 Sep 2021 - 9:31

Thanks Ron
Guess I am lucky Truma tell me the work has to be done by a "trained caravan mechanic" but mine is simply under the bench seat and very easy to reach. Three screws to remove the fan, my nine year old grandson could have done it.
Tried ordering from Leisureshopdirect and Outdooorbits, the latter I waited 30 minutes on their webchat then gave up and eventually bought one from Kenmore Caravans in West Yorkshire. You can phone them, buy easily through ebay and were £30 cheaper at £269 including postage. Arrives Friday.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down