The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Size Up?

5 posters

Go down

Next Size Up? Empty Next Size Up?

Post by Windsurf1 Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:26 am

Hi. Excuse size of font, tablet objects to damp. Anyway I have a 2010 Devon and considering another Autosleeper preferably on a Merc chassis auto. What would be the next model size? Something under 7 metres? Also a subject we'll beaten to death. Cleaners! Tried most of them and to be honest washing up liquid seems to produce the same effect. Sure I this age there must be a Cleaner that can be applied, left then rinsed off to remove stains especially roof sections. Don't fancy climbing on the roof with a hard brush. Cheers J C
Windsurf1
Windsurf1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2010

Windsurf1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Next Size Up? Empty Re: Next Size Up?

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:58 am

Hey, Windsurf, you liked your own post! hugegrins

Have you considered the Bourton? It's a stretched Devon with full length bunks and built on a Merc.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaphead Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:35 am

Windsurf1 wrote:Hi. Excuse size of font, tablet objects to damp. Anyway I have a 2010 Devon and considering another Autosleeper preferably on a Merc chassis auto. What would be the next model size? Something under 7 metres? Also a subject we'll beaten to death. Cleaners! Tried most of them and to be honest washing up liquid seems to produce the same effect. Sure I this age there must be a Cleaner that can be applied, left then rinsed off to remove stains especially roof sections. Don't fancy climbing on the roof with a hard brush. Cheers J C

Windsurf, I use Surfex HD cleaner from Bilt Hamber.  It is a great all purpose cleaner especially for grubby areas like the motorhome roof.  It is relatively expensive but well worth it.

Te best cleaner I have ever come across.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Windsurf1 Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Thanks David on the cleaner advice. Fed up with products such as Fenwicks etc. Willing to try Surfex. Bourton worth a look Tinwheeler. Cheers J C.
Windsurf1
Windsurf1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:34 am

We love our Worcester and were looking to downsize after a debacle from the DVLA and the Bourton would have been our choice.
As it is all sorted will stick with the Worcester as it is so comfortable.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Windsurf1 Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:48 am

Hi Groundhog, thanks , the Worcester another consideration. Max weight though is 3800kgs? Can that be driven on a normal car licence? Thought the limit was 3500kgs? Cheers J C.
Windsurf1
Windsurf1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:06 pm

Yes 3880kgs so you need a C1. I have all the paperwork to downgrade to 3500kgs but the payload would be very small.
If you wanted a worcester the expression hen's teeth comes to mind but the Winchcombe is almost exactly the same just a newer version.
Whether you have C1 depends on when you passed your test and you need a medical to renew it after 70 years old,
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Windsurf1 Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks, I'm  a little confused with advice on getting a vehicle re-plated etc? The way I "think" I understand is; you can drive anything up to 3500kgs on a normal car licence provided you past your test before 1980's? Any vehicle over 3500kgs you need a CI licence? So if a vehicle's unladed weight is less than 3500kgs, ie Worcester 3300kgs in theory you would have a payload of 200kgs? Not sure of the actual figures. So what's all this of re-plating chassis etc? Incidentally I've just used the product Surfex on my M/H roof and I well impressed. Thankyou for the advice.
Windsurf1
Windsurf1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:38 pm

Windsurf1 wrote:Thanks, I'm  a little confused with advice on getting a vehicle re-plated etc? The way I "think" I understand is; you can drive anything up to 3500kgs on a normal car licence provided you past your test before 1980's? Any vehicle over 3500kgs you need a CI licence? So if a vehicle's unladed weight is less than 3500kgs, ie Worcester 3300kgs in theory you would have a payload of 200kgs? Not sure of the actual figures. So what's all this of re-plating chassis etc? Incidentally I've just used the product Surfex on my M/H roof and I well impressed. Thankyou for the advice.

Up to 3500kg max weight (MAM) plus a 750kg trailer, or heavier trailer provided total weight (MAM) less than 3500kg, can be driven on B licence, ie test passed after 1 Jan1997. Test passed before 1 Jan 1997, max weight up to 7500kg or 8250kg with trailer.

It is the plated weight of the vehicle not its actual weight that counts, so if 3880kg MAM, needs to be downplated to 3500kg for B licence.

ps If you are thinking of a Worcester, then a Gloucester or Malvern, fixed bed version might suit,

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:03 pm

Yes as Peter says it is the plated weight not the actual weight that counts. When I looked at downplating my Worcester I came to the conclusion that as a day van it was just about feasible to have it plated to 3500kgs and so did all the paperwork with SV tech but the payload as you say would be 200 kgs or less and useless for touring with all the usual stuff on board. If you want to be very naughty you are allowed 10% over the weight if caught but that doesn't help much. Also bear in mind OVER 3500kgs the tax is cheaper (logical not!).
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down