The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2010 Broadway Omnistep

5 posters

Go down

2010 Broadway Omnistep Empty 2010 Broadway Omnistep

Post by sunidorset Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:31 pm

Can anyone tell me where the doorstep relay is in a 2010 EK Broadway. The inside switch is just a pushbutton with 2 contacts. Both it and the understep switch have been checked  and are in working order.
The relay is not in the void behind the fridge. It doesn't appear to be in the EM50 ( behind the driver's seat).
The step doesn't retract either with the switch or on starting the engine ( which it has always done) though it does make a clicking sound. It swings out normally.
As far as I now, the Sargent EC325 has no connections to the door step. shrugg
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

2010 Broadway Omnistep Empty Re: 2010 Broadway Omnistep

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:41 pm

AFAIK the relaying is in the EM50. Here is the data sheet for the EM50, may help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by sunidorset Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:05 pm

Thanks, Ploughlin. I suppose that means that it's part of an integrated circuit on a PSB ... in which case, I will need  some help, I guess!
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Check Fuse 5 on the EM50 before doing anything drastic. Be careful when you replace as there are no guides for the fuse blades.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by sunidorset Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:58 pm

Thanks Peter,
 Yes, before I took the step motor off, I did check that 20Amp fuse but, as the step swings out, I  thought it would be OK - it was.
 So, having watched U Tubes  etc.,  the motor went on to the work bench, got a good clean and I ran 12V both ways, whereon the motor turned both ways. 
It's now down to the relay ... or a replacement EM50???
Everything else in the van is working except the "step-is-out-buzzer" (with the step out and the engine started).
Now to check the motor supply with a multimeter while a helper presses the step switch.
 ( Yes, the leisure battery is healthy).
An afternoon spent "self isolating" ( except for a few ants running around) so I didn't wear a mask!!!
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:36 pm

Recommend you give Sargent a call. I’ve found their tech help desk useful in the past. Since your fault diagnosis points to the EM50 they should be able to advise whether it’s repairable, or indeed if there are additional checks you can do to discount other possibilities.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by sunidorset Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 am

Thanks, Tim. Thankfully, I can push the step back in. Amazing the number of "posts" on this subject - even since I joined in!
As ever, what a great backup this forum is - Thanks everyone!
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:05 am

Having read umpteen posts over the years regarding problems with non-working electric steps (even one where a member had to cancel a holiday due to the step being stuck in the out position), wouldn't it be marvellous if they invented a manual step, one that was sprung so it only needed a two-fingered pull to extend and a flick of the toe to retract. And for the forgetful amongst us, a warning buzzer if the step was out with the ignition on.
No problems ever, sorted!
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by sunidorset Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:05 pm

The relay was working so  I traced wiring and soon found a broken wire from the step limit switch with blue ( ie copper sulphate) corrosion immediately at a crimped connection. This was behind the courtesy light just inside the habitation door. Here, 2 wires go into the van from the step limit switch with the 2 wires that power the step motor. But the crimped joins are immediately above a decently sized  grill (which would allow any leaking butane gas from the fridge to sink to the outside). There has evidently been enough moist air to induce an electrolytic effect where copper wire met soft metal crimp. ( Note that this grill is immediately behind the n/s rear wheel !)
This all resulted in the Sargent EM50 sensing that the step was continually retracted - thus it rolled out but would not retract. The broken wire meant that the limit switch could not have produce a "closed" circuit when the step rolled out.
Sherlock ( aka "Clever Clogs") has some suggestions to offer, but I am very tempted to abandon a motorised step! As it is, I've abandoned the two crimps on the wire joins.
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Back to top Go down