The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Siting of Shurflo pump

4 posters

Go down

Siting of Shurflo pump Empty Siting of Shurflo pump

Post by cooperman15 Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:58 pm

I’ve read the fact sheet on fitting this pump to a 2011 Nuevo EK, I have exactly the same model.
I wonder about the high heat when the pump is fitted to the rear wall of the wardrobe, great for warming ones pj’s in the drawer. Has anyone experienced problems with excessive heat when the pump is fitted in this area.
Could it be fitted underneath the van in a suitable enclosure box I wonder ? 
Think my submersible due for replacement as it is getting a bit noisy.
cooperman15
cooperman15

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Roger C likes this post

Back to top Go down

Siting of Shurflo pump Empty Re: Siting of Shurflo pump

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:27 pm

If the Shurflo pump is producing heat something is wrong, it only pumps cold water, not hot.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:28 pm

The pump in our Rienza is next to the heater under the wardrobe floor. I havnt noticed the water being warm. Having said that we don’t drink the water from the taps preferring to keep bottled water in the fridge. 
It is the best place for the pump because all the pipes for the heater are in the same space.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:25 pm

My Shurflo is screwed to the wardrobe wall and does not overheat. I did need to move the leisure battery box and it's clamping strap by about an inch to make space. If the side of your wardrobe gets hot then remove the wardrobe drawer and check that one of the Combi heater outlets has its blanking plug fitted. The Combi has 4 outlets and only 3 are used on my 2012 Nuevo. The 4th outlet is closed off by a  blanking plug. My wardrobe drawer used to get very hot and I discovered that the blanking plug had fallen out but was.lying loose on the floor at the bottom of the wardrobe under the drawer.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:37 pm

The technical specifications make no mention of its duty cycle so essentially can run continuously without causing damage. They all contain a self resetting thermal overload switch so even IF it did get too hot and stopped working after a cool down period it should work again without issue.

Basically as long as you don't actually wrap the body with insulation there is not a problem. 

The fact that it pumps cold water will have no influence whatsoever on the motor overheating. The pumping chamber is completely isolated from the motor casing and no measurable heat would transfer into the water itself. If one did actually develop fault I suspect the solder in the motor would melt before the water started to warm up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by cooperman15 Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks for the replies, is wasn’t about heat produced by the pump but high ambient temperature in that area possibly affecting the pump. My battery box is in the under bed locker so a different location. I’ll certainly check the boiler blanking plugs.
cooperman15
cooperman15

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:55 pm

My Flojet version is mounted in the same cupboard as the water heater ans PSU, so gets quite warm but still going strong after 10 years.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Flojet on left, grey on bottom is heater, PSU beyond.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

Roger C likes this post

Back to top Go down