The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heater pad

+7
Dare-devil-dennis
Caraman
Cymro
Relaxez-Vous
Dbvwt
Tinwheeler
gef
11 posters

Go down

Heater pad Empty Heater pad

Post by gef Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:47 pm

just found heater pad hanging of by a thread has anybody any ideas of glue to fix it please confused3
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Heater pad Empty Re: Heater pad

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:50 pm

I’ve used yellow and black hazard warning tape [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].

It remains to be seen how long it lasts but it'll do for now.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:19 pm

I used this instead of taking the van back to the dealer after 2 weeks when mine fell off. It’s still stuck fast to this day.
In fact A/S themselves recommended using the same (or similar) when I called them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks Db think I have some already. i would recomend every one to check there pads fixing is very poor that is if they are still there
gef

Male

Member Age : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:35 pm

Preparation is everything when trying to stick something.

The number of bad reviews for a great ‘sticky product’ winds me up because they haven’t a clue how to use a product!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Kemerton-bath likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:40 pm

The glue used by AS seems to melt with heat and the pads drop off. The warmer weather of summer appears to affect the glue.

Yes, I know the heater blanket gets warm in use which raises questions about the glue being fit for purpose.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:09 pm

TW, hands up if anyone has actually used the tank blanket?

Not me for sure. I guess there are some that find it invaluable and I’m not knocking that but I think the majority of us find it yet another A/S must have for the sales guys to sell!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Kemerton-bath, rgermain and jwells like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:44 pm

My hand's not up either, David, and I think you're right with the suggestion of it being a must have that most of us don’t want. I’ve several things that come under that heading.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:47 pm

I've had the same thing happen on our 2019 Kemerton XL. One day I noticed that one of our heater pads was hanging down, held on by just the cable.

I used black Everbuild's STIXALL that I bought on eBay, it comes in a standard tube that fits in a mastic gun. I roughed up both surfaces with some abrasive paper, cleaned up with meths then squirted some STIXALL on both tank and pad, spreading the adhesive so there was a thin film, (note a thin film) on both surfaces. I then arranged a car jack and wood blocks raised up with bricks to apply pressure via a piece of plywood up on the heater pad whilst it set. I probably allowed 48 hours at least.

It's given no further bother, but then we've never used our heater pads.

Camping In our previous van some years ago to experience the Christmas experiences that York had to offer, It was so cold and walking to the toilet block was like walking on an ice rink, we did have the water in the pipes freeze enough briefly by the morning, for no water available at the taps. I doubt tank heaters would have made a difference.

For those wanting a van they can use for skiing holidays I'm sure that other manufactures offer vans far better insulated from the cold than A-S offers. Lets call the heaters pads having more function for A-S salesmen.

Edit: You have to be quick I've added two brief additions within minutes of my first posting.

Last edited by Relaxez-Vous on Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Never used either tank heater. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:58 am

Tinwheeler wrote:My hand's not up either, David, and I think you're right with the suggestion of it being a must have that most of us don’t want. I’ve several things that come under that heading.
The heater pads are part of the Winter package which is an optional extra so no one has to have it.  We intended to use our van over the Winter so for us it seemed a useful package to have.  I have used the heater pads on a number of occasions when the overnight temperature dropped to well below zero and the daytime temperature didn't get above zero.  Whether the tanks would have actually frozen in these conditions is another matter but the heater pads provide peace of mind.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Jamie D and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 am

Caraman wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:My hand's not up either, David, and I think you're right with the suggestion of it being a must have that most of us don’t want. I’ve several things that come under that heading.
The heater pads are part of the Winter package which is an optional extra so no one has to have it.  We intended to use our van over the Winter so for us it seemed a useful package to buy.  I have used the heater pads on a number of occasions when the overnight temperature dropped to well below zero and the daytime temperature didn't get above zero.  Whether the tanks would have actually frozen in these conditions is another matter but the heater pads provide peace of mind.
You use it and that's great for your needs, Caraman.

In reality, most of us don't have a choice of packages as the vans tend to be offered with various 'extras' included as standard.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:43 am

Tinwheeler wrote:

In reality, most of us don't have a choice of packages as the vans tend to be offered with various 'extras' included as standard.
I suspect there are two ways of buying a new A-S.  Buy from existing stock in which case it probably comes with the Winter package as standard, or, have it made to spec but the latter might result in a lower discount and slower delivery.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 pm

The problem with the adhesion of these pads to the tanks is that the tanks are made from Polyethylene. This plastic is a PITA to stick anything to.

The best for thermal contact would be a thin application of clear silicone sealant. Silicone is a fairly good thermal conductor. with some surface "roughing" and cleaning with a solvent such as IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) it should stay stuck, once it has cured, but the problem is you are working against gravity. If you can overcome that temporarily it should be plain sailing. The secret may well be less is more when spreading the sealant. A thin layer will be less likely to slide and peel before it is cured.

Also, some of the acrylic adhesive double sided tapes should hold well, but it will need full coverage to get good thermal contact with the tank wall. These come on a roll with different widths and have a red plastic carrier polyester backing film. You can get them on Amazon like these...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:39 pm

I suspect these pads become unstuck because its power cable isn't properly supported so it's weight drags the pads off. After I re-glued my loose padI I used some linked cable ties to relieve the weight of the cable using one of the level sensors as a fixed point. I had to be careful though not to disturb the watertight fitting of the sensor.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:53 pm

I hope to use mine this coming winter, if we’re allowed to travel to Europe by then. So I hope they don’t fall off in the meantime. I did use them one night i slept in it on the driveway as a test. It was -4 overnight. I left the hot water heater on the frost setting too. Nothing bad happened, everything worked as expected, nothing froze.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:42 am

I have never used mine because  they would soon kill the battery , never had the need  when on hook up .if it gets around 0 c i would drain the tank. And use  collapsible  containers  stored  in shower .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:25 am

Molly3 wrote:I have never used mine because  they would soon kill the battery , never had the need  when on hook up .if it gets around 0 c i would drain the tank. And use  collapsible  containers  stored  in shower .
They are designed to turn off automatically after a short time if not on an EHU (with the PX300 switched on) or if the engine is not running so that they don't flatten the battery.  This is one of several reasons why I would only ever use an EHU pitch in the winter.  I don't normally travel with water in the fresh and waste water tanks and certainly wouldn't if the outside temperature dropped to zero or below.  I only use the heating pads when connected to an EHU.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:46 pm

I never used mine anyway. I just park where draining the water as soon as I have used it will not cause any harm. Those of us old enough to remember the summer of 1976 will recall that we were instructed to water our gardens with bath water (after all the family had used it) and with washing up water. It does the grass no harm at all, and will happily run down a road drain.
Those heater pads are just one of the things that make me wish A/S would make a 'starter' or 'basic' motorhome / campervan at a significantly cheaper price, leaving out extraneous extras like the microwave oven, heated pads,  remote-switch-the-heating-on, TV, antennas, under floor LPG (which will be difficult to fill in the UK) and have reduced facilities such as you only need one light in the washroom, a two or three gas hob with no electric ring, fancy ceiling lights that don't need you to reach up there where some people are at full stretch, and even awnings. The furniture and upholstery is excellent and should remain but considering that all car makers have basic cars to entice people into the marque I would think there would be a place for a basic A/S. However, I am not the A/S marketing director so what do I know?
If they did, I would probably buy one. If my heater pads were falling off I would just cut the wire and let them fall to the ground and leave them where they fell. In fact I had to laugh out loud when I found out what the heater switches were for. I wondered why anyone would want hot grey water? Perhaps they are growing unheard of microbes in thier researching of new cures for unknown diseases. If you are going to Switzerland in the winter, just drain the water as you use it. Simple.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:56 pm

The heaters switch off automatically when the tank contents are above 7C. I don’t really see what microbes have got to do with anything. What temperature is your grey water tank in the summer?
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:35 pm

gassygassy wrote:I never used mine anyway. I just park where draining the water as soon as I have used it will not cause any harm. Those of us old enough to remember the summer of 1976 will recall that we were instructed to water our gardens with bath water (after all the family had used it) and with washing up water. It does the grass no harm at all, and will happily run down a road drain.
Those heater pads are just one of the things that make me wish A/S would make a 'starter' or 'basic' motorhome / campervan at a significantly cheaper price, leaving out extraneous extras like the microwave oven, heated pads,  remote-switch-the-heating-on, TV, antennas, under floor LPG (which will be difficult to fill in the UK) and have reduced facilities such as you only need one light in the washroom, a two or three gas hob with no electric ring, fancy ceiling lights that don't need you to reach up there where some people are at full stretch, and even awnings. The furniture and upholstery is excellent and should remain but considering that all car makers have basic cars to entice people into the marque I would think there would be a place for a basic A/S. However, I am not the A/S marketing director so what do I know?
If they did, I would probably buy one. If my heater pads were falling off I would just cut the wire and let them fall to the ground and leave them where they fell. In fact I had to laugh out loud when I found out what the heater switches were for. I wondered why anyone would want hot grey water? Perhaps they are growing unheard of microbes in thier researching of new cures for unknown diseases. If you are going to Switzerland in the winter, just drain the water as you use it. Simple.
The heater pads are an optional extra.  No one has to have them.  On the current models if switched on the tank heaters only operate when the external temperature is below 2 degrees and there is over 25% of water in the tank.  

I can't believe you allow all your waste water to drain over your pitch.  You must be very unpopular with neighbouring caravans/motorhomes and site operators.

The heater pad on the waste water tank is the least important as the water is likely to be warm and can be drained immediately into a bucket and emptied somewhere appropriate before it freezes.  It is more important for the fresh water tank to have a heating pad if it is used in sub-zero conditions.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:44 pm

Molly3 wrote:I have never used mine because  they would soon kill the battery , never had the need  when on hook up .if it gets around 0 c i would drain the tank. And use  collapsible  containers  stored  in shower .
Me also never used them, one reason not found how to turn them on?
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:52 am

"The heater pads are an optional extra.  No one has to have them. "

You do if they are already fitted to the vehicle you want to buy. Or as has been said, pay more and wait 9 months for them to build one without the pads. True you don't have to use them, but they are just another unnecessary addition that companies - not just A/S - seem to think we want.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:25 pm

gassygassy wrote:they are just another unnecessary addition that companies - not just A/S - seem to think we want.
I agree that if there is no intent to use the water system on an EHU in the winter when the outside temperature might be zero and below for a sustained period, they are an unnecessary addition.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:45 pm

The European motorhomes and campervans I have owned tend to have inboard fresh water tanks but of course that takes up space. They wouldn't need heaters.
I read on another make's forum that a chap with a caravan wants to have a source of 'warm' (35C) water and he intends to just stick an aquarium (thermostatic and waterproof) mains heater element in his plastic water carrier. That's something I hadn't thought of. Legionella would be a problem if you left it for a month slowly keeping warm and then had a shower, perhaps. I don't actually know if our chlorine kills off legionella, but domestic hot water tanks are set to 60C which kills it off.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down