The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windbreaks - recommendations?

4 posters

Go down

Windbreaks - recommendations? Empty Windbreaks - recommendations?

Post by SENTINEL Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:37 pm

Our old striped cotton canvas windbreak has virtually come to the end of its life....so, any recommendations for make and type? I guess that like everything else it depends on how you want to use it and whether it is also a dog pen etc. However any information is welcome as there seems to be a huge theoretical choice nowadays  although I see many are in short supply at the moment.
Wooden pole, aluminium pole, steel pole or air beam?
Cotton canvas, plastic with windows or without?
Quick to pitch or many lines and pegs?
Or, not to bother at all?
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : EX-SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Windbreaks - recommendations? Empty Re: Windbreaks - recommendations?

Post by Gromit Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:51 pm

SENTINEL wrote:Our old striped cotton canvas windbreak has virtually come to the end of its life....so, any recommendations for make and type? I guess that like everything else it depends on how you want to use it and whether it is also a dog pen etc. However any information is welcome as there seems to be a huge theoretical choice nowadays  although I see many are in short supply at the moment.
That's the model I prefer - but if you are an enthusiastic windbreak user I would go for aluminium poles and polypropylene canvas. (Would you really want windows in a windbreak!! shrugg )

A friend had one and liked it because it was lightweight, very easy to clean, and completely rot resistant so he could dry it out at his leisure.

Last edited by Gromit on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

SENTINEL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:31 pm

SENTINEL wrote:Our old striped cotton canvas windbreak has virtually come to the end of its life....so, any recommendations for make and type? I guess that like everything else it depends on how you want to use it and whether it is also a dog pen etc. However any information is welcome as there seems to be a huge theoretical choice nowadays  although I see many are in short supply at the moment.
Minimalist says don't bother at all!! up! hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

SENTINEL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:42 pm

Well, a definite no to "air beams", "windows" and "bulky packs" for us too, and tbh the old canvas one didn't get used very much in recent years, so, as our intention was to be as minimalist as possible I think that we probably won't bother at all! 
There is not a lot of storage room in our Symbol for extras, "in case" or "might be useful" things anyway! I vowed not to have stuff cluttering the floor when travelling & that then needed to be moved out of the way before we could use the space! 
It's interesting to see what other folk use or have decided upon after their own experiences though. smile!
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : EX-SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:02 pm

I bought some poles from these guys about 5 years ago to replace the cheap rubbish poles that soon broke on a nice windbreak we had. They are still as good as the day they arrived.
They seem to have expanded a bit in the past 5 years so I can’t comment on quality now but I’d still be willing to buy from them.

https://cornishwindbreaks.co.uk/about/
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

SENTINEL likes this post

Back to top Go down