The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorhome wifi

+3
TeamRienza
v8oholic
brains
7 posters

Go down

Motorhome wifi Empty Motorhome wifi

Post by brains Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi 

We are taking delivery of a new Nuevo in a few weeks, and it has a 4G router installed (Huawei I think). What's the most suitable network deal for a data sim card? 
We travel mostly in the UK, usually no more than about 30-40 days in a year, although we do plan visiting France next year. We don't have a TV, so its mostly for email and browsing on our ipads, and a bit of FB.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Motorhome wifi Empty Re: Motorhome wifi

Post by v8oholic Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 pm

Take a look at SMARTY monthly contracts. It sounds like their £6 a month 4GB deal would be enough for you, and you can stop it in the months you’re not travelling. It would also work in the EU at no extra charge, as it’s under the 12GB fair use limit.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:36 pm

I use smarty on my phone, 30gb @ £10 pm. It was bought to use in Europe but as v8oholic says now capped at 12gb pm abroad. Haven’t got using it in France yet. It can be altered each month to any of their plans. My wife also has smarty (2 sims gets us a better deal) but we can alter each plan in Europe to increase our available data to 24gb. Smarty are budget version of 3. It works in my huawei mifi.

I still have a couple of 24gb 3 DATA sims bought from amazon. The joy of these are they are valid for 24 months before you dispose of the sim and replace it with another. Downside is they are about £42 although periodically on offer at a lower price. These too have a cap of about 19 gb as reported by others. However one lasts us about a 18 month period. A lot depends on type of usage. We don’t stream for instance.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:41 pm

I’d go along with the others, Smarty has very competitive prices and the advantage of 3,s network which I have found to be the most stable in the UK, compared with Vodafone,EE,and O2
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Brains, on recommendation from the forum I very recently clicked a ‘refer a friend’ link from a member and signed up to Smarty. 3 weeks in and I’m very happy with it. An added bonus is the email from them yesterday saying my second month is free and my account has been credited with £10. All because I joined via the link!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by brains Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:10 pm

Thanks for suggestions. The solution may be a little more complex, now, as I have just ordered a 4G router for our home broadband, as the ADSL+Fibre solution we have is dire. Unfortunately the signal at home from 3 is only rated as good outdoors, so I am not sure Smarty would be right for that.  So I have decided to buy a Vodafone PayG sim just to test the performance at home, and then put it in the MH. But ultimately I may well get the Smarty sim for the MH, probably next year.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:40 pm

On three of the four sites I've been on since 12 April I had good 4g signal but could not stream TV as data too slow.  Current site is fine. Data was so slow in Winchester a couple of days ago I couldn't open Google maps!
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:10 pm

I was able to stream HD on both Bath and Bristol sites recently, but speeds will vary by location. Having 2 SIMs to choose from is a really good idea, as it doubles your chances in any given location.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:04 pm

Ok, a blatant bump for my ‘refer a friend’ link but it genuinely does benefit both parties if going down the Smarty route.

This is my honest opinion during my first month and 6 different campsites.
I’ve got BT mobile on my phone (EE network) which I have been using as a mobile hotspot when away. As a rule, I could usually get a signal of sorts but often needed to place the phone in just the right spot.
The Smarty SIM (3 network) in the vans MIFI has outperformed the phone conclusively everywhere I’ve been with a minimum of 3 bars and 6 meg download speeds.
Obviously the vans MIFI has a superior antenna on the roof but my initial concerns about lack of coverage on the 3 network have been unfounded.
The sites I’ve been on have been in towns or semi rural so I can’t comment on more remote locations.
For the basic £6 which can be cancelled/paused after the first month or at any time there isn’t really anything to lose giving it a go!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:32 pm

I've been using a 3 sim in my TP Link mifi for the last 4 and a bit years and it's worked well. This week in rural Perthshire it would only connect to 3g. Getting emails was ok but the signal was not strong enough to either play video on a tablet or use our Amazon firestick. It even struggled to display maps.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:40 pm

I do suspect that even with a quality antenna on top of my van I will struggle in many rural areas Tony.
Perhaps we are all getting a bit too used to the decent coverage in many areas nowadays and expect a bit too much at times once we travel into the rural countryside smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down