The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton 2020 checks at handover

+16
Molly3
FreelanderUK
BornAgain
IanH
Phil j
CJ1949
wilksy
groundhog
burlingtonboaby
gemdeco
rogerblack
SENTINEL
Paulmold
Davo
v8oholic
Widget
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bourton 2020 checks at handover - Page 2 Empty Re: Bourton 2020 checks at handover

Post by IanH Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:07 pm

Widget wrote:Hi Ian, thanks for the advice. At the risk of sounding Stupid confused3 Why would I do that? Whats your thinking? Isn't the weight the weight in the brochure?
First motorhome and eager to learn, thanks.
Cynical perhaps......

Weight from weighbridge with known contents as suggested............accurate!
Weight from anywhere else, especially the brochure, a work of fiction based on inaccurate guesses, IMHO!

Oh, and BTW my weighbridge makes no charge for their print -outs, no scribbled note here! up! up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Widget likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bourton 2020 checks at handover - Page 2 Empty Re: Bourton 2020 checks at handover

Post by wilksy Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Check the screen on the control panel above the door, its only held on with double sided tape, if its pushed too hard/much it could fall through into the unit - mine has already see my post for a picture, plus Auto Sleeper have changed the blinds to "privacy blinds" up until yesterday afternoon there website said concertina blinds I got the cheap looking privacy ones
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium Duo
Vehicle Year : 2021

Widget likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:55 pm

Check all windows and vents for cracks  around  locks and fittings .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Bourton 2020 checks at handover - Page 2 Empty It's arrived.

Post by Widget Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:06 am

So, after some delays ( mine not the dealer ) i got to collect my Bourton and drive it home.
Hand over went well and thanks to you I was well prepared and as there was water in the tank and I guess half a tank of gas I could see everything ( except hot water ) working. Went fully through the control panel. Can't believe it is only held in place with double sided tape on a product which is so Expensive!. In short all worked.
Had a great drive home. No weighbridge, unfortunately, but I will do that at some point. 
Once on the drive and after some oohs and ahs from the family I hooked her up.
ERROR . Warning on the truma unit, nearly was a trauma... but after a few minutes it disappeared. Everything up and running including hot water really fast. Much less faffing around than the caravan.
So, so far so good. I am very happy. Our maiden voyage to Cornwall was cancelled due to issues at work but we got into a site in Devon later this week for our first camp. Very excited.. biggrin

Thanks all. I will post some pics later.
Widget
Widget

Male

Auto-Sleeper : BOURTON
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Widget Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:02 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Widget
Widget

Male

Davo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:46 am

It looks a cracker. The Bourton is my favourite of the coachbuilt range.

Enjoy!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Widget likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:04 pm

Lovely looking van, you must be chuffed!

If that's your usual parking spot, I assume you're going to trim back those branches that are touching it otherwise they'll scuff the gelcoat finish over time.  

Wouldn't want anything to spoil it!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Widget likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:17 pm

Widget wrote: Went fully through the control panel. Can't believe it is only held in place with double sided tape on a product which is so Expensive!. In short all worked.
I have just spoken with Sargent, the screen does not leave them stuck on with tape, they sent me a picture of how it leaves them and it has a proper frame around it which the screen clips into from the front so it can't be pushed forward, Auto Sleeper remount it in their above door frame with double sided tape.

My dealer has confirmed they would just apply more tape if I return it to them so I'm going to sort it out properly myself - unbelievable on a product that costs this sort of money and claimed to be the best of British made motorhomes.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:04 pm

I agree, that’s unforgivable to use double-sided tape as a fixing method. You would have thought that after all the problems Sargent’s EC700 screen has presented AS, they would want to ensure it wasn’t going to fall off the bulkhead. They’re clearly out of touch with just how potholed our roads are! Talking of which, check the fixing of the microwave, as that’s another weakness ready to be exploited by a pothole. If a British pothole doesn’t do it, you’ll find that Belgian motorway surfaces will find a way.

You’re right to want to fix the screen properly. If it falls off and gets damaged your holiday will end abruptly. It controls most of the habitation systems so is mission critical. I think I’d be looking at a suitable stainless steel profile that frames and traps the screen edges, fixed to the surface behind. Worth getting the detail right so it looks and feels like a factory fit.

It’s a example of how many of us have to “tweak” our vans to achieve the detailing that we might have expected from the supplier. Once you’ve come to terms with it I’ve no doubt you’ll thoroughly enjoy not just the van but also the task of keeping it up together. Despite the above they are still among the best in the UK.

Enjoy your shakedown trip.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL (Fiat)

Widget likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Davo Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:43 pm

Glad you are pleased with your new Bourton keep us informed how you get on with it. We pick our new Bourton up in August 🤞🏻So will be interested to see how you get on.
Davo
Davo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Widget likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:32 pm

Hi
   Reading about your screen mounting problem,why not complain to Autosleeper and ask for the mounting that Sargent supplied, or ask Sargent to supply one direct if it is suitable
Regards Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by wilksy Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:15 am

gemdeco wrote:Hi
   Reading about your screen mounting problem,why not complain to Autosleeper and ask for the mounting that Sargent supplied, or ask Sargent to supply one direct if it is suitable
Regards Alan
I have tried to speak with Auto Sleeper regarding this and other issues, they eventually sent me an email saying that I had to take the issues up with the dealer, don't think I would buy an Auto Sleeper again I probably should have waited a few more years until I could then afford something more premium.

Its been a very disappointing experience all in all, some of it Covid related but most of it down to the supplying dealer and the response from Auto Sleeper and I haven't even been anywhere yet. 

I don't think for one minute I will be the only one with the screen mounting issue, I suspect the heat over the last week or two was contributory to the failure of the tape, which appears to be just a cheap paper backed product instead of decent 3M Automotive tape which is used widely in the Automotive sector on badges etc.
wilksy
wilksy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Widget Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:38 am

Our maiden voyage completed and happy to report a complete success.
We drove on Thursday morning from Gillingham Dorset via Weymouth
down to the clubsite at Hillside near Brixham for two nights.
First mission was to stop at the local garage with an lpg supply to fill up the gas tank. No Gas! So, we headed in to Weymouth via the Sea front, which we would never do with the caravan. We then took the coastal route past Chesil beach down to Devon via Seaton to the next lpg station at Seaton. No gas! Slight detour to Honiton, no gas! I have to say we did have half a tank but if I see a level gauge then generally I like it to say full. So, no panic but having been told these lpg supplies were easy to find I did not think filling the tank would be so difficult. At this point I gave up and thought I'll find some on the next trip making some calls first. However, turning off the A38 and onto the A380 we found a sign advertising lpg at a Texaco garage. BINGO. Full tank. However, it took two of us to finally figure out the connection and that you have to hold the green button in while filling but so far so good.
Arrived on the campsite. Pitch was not level but a nice chap opposite with a big Bailey unit helped me to deploy the ramps ect. Then, in a jiffy, all was up and running. So quick compared to the caravan. 

The drive down was wonderful, comfortable, powerful, smooth. We even went right through the middle of Lyme Regis, that would have been a coronary in the making with the caravan.

Now,  I did notice on the drive back from the dealer ( Somerset to Dorset ) that the radio reception was not good. In my car I loose radio 4 now and again but not as often as the mh did. However, I discovered the Bourton has 'Google car play'. Excellent, plugged in my mobile and everything came to life. No interruptions in the signal down to Devon, perfect.
The sat nav was excellent, no complaints. The cab has loads of storage and cup holders  view was fantastic. To be able to pull up and enjoy a cup of tea is a major enjoyment. Also, on a side note we noticed other MH's wavi g at us. How nice is that, like being back on the bike.
Only major (major ??) Issue was the cutlery draw does not open when the door is shut. I think I can live with that.
Now, I can't wait to go again.

Next thought is two e bikes on the back or a rack and scooter but first I need to find that weighbridge.
Widget
Widget

Male

Davo, rogerblack and Eltel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:38 am

Lpg is very short supply at the moment particularly in the south. This is due to refineries around the country undertaking maintenance all at the same time for some stupid reason. Supplies have started again.
The cutlery drawer issue has been  mentioned before,  it happened due to the original habitation  door supplier going bust and AS had to revert to another supplier but I'm surprised that the design still hasn't been altered to accommodate  this. Meanwhile it was suggested that the cutlery is swopped to another drawer and less often required items put into that drawer.
Glad  everything worked and you first trip was successful.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Widget likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:33 am

Glad to hear all went well overall.

One of the great joys of having a motorhome is driving onto the pitch, maybe a couple of minutes to level up; plug in the EHU; kettle on; chairs out; then enjoying a cuppa within ten minutes of arriving, whilst watching the poor souls opposite nearly land in the divorce courts over battling to manoeuvre the caravan into position then assembling the awning, etc, etc for the next half hour or so.  
hugegrins up!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Widget and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:25 pm

We collected our new-to-us Bourton a couple of weeks ago. New in Sept 2020, it only had 700 miles on it. The cutlery drawer on my Stanton did not open, as described, but the Bourton has solved this by moving the cutlery drawer to the left and down one. 
The offending drawer has been discarded and converted to a hinged drop front cubby hole like the one in front of the sink. It opens without fouling the door and is now used for tea towels etc. Job done.
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Davo and Widget like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:31 pm

The drawer issue has been raised by a Broadway  owner on MHFun...

Thread 'Very clever door design from Auto Sleepers' [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Worth reading the whole thread.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Widget Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:59 pm

Hi, to be fair I mentioned the cutlery draw because so far it is the only issue and having read some of the comments here and on MHF, I guess that's pretty good. The cutlery draw is on the left hand side 1 down. All that was done was the plastic tray was moved from one to the other. However, I am fine with that.
Overall It is a stunning peice of kit and I love it. Off again tomorrow for a few days. Woo hoo

However, I think the whole UK mh and caravan manufacturing industry could benefit from a German car manufacturers quality course. Also, the workshop teams, directors and admin  teams should be encouraged to use the product in real situations, on site, to evaluate the product before it is launched.
 I am sure that is NOT happening with many of these manufacturers. Some margin spared for the workforce to test the product on their holidays or a free weekend would be well spent. And generate pride and ownership in the brand.
Widget
Widget

Male

RML and jwells like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:30 pm

AS do loan vans to employees to use (I have no idea what level employees have to be to be loaned a van) .and presumably should report their findings. Unfortunately  when I said to an employee that they should report any faults they notice during production,  the answer I got was 'it's not my job to report faults ' . Such reporting should be encouraged not frowned upon.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Widget Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Quality is everybody's business.
That should be the mantra across all functions in a business which declares itself a premium brand.
Widget
Widget

Male

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bourton 2020 checks at handover - Page 2 Empty LPG

Post by Eltel Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:14 pm

Rule 1
Never pass a Autogas. Station as it’s always worth topping up unless you have all the green lights lit up
Terry 
Widget wrote:Our maiden voyage completed and happy to report a complete success.
We drove on Thursday morning from Gillingham Dorset via Weymouth
down to the clubsite at Hillside near Brixham for two nights.
First mission was to stop at the local garage with an lpg supply to fill up the gas tank. No Gas! So, we headed in to Weymouth via the Sea front, which we would never do with the caravan. We then took the coastal route past Chesil beach down to Devon via Seaton to the next lpg station at Seaton. No gas! Slight detour to Honiton, no gas! I have to say we did have half a tank but if I see a level gauge then generally I like it to say full. So, no panic but having been told these lpg supplies were easy to find I did not think filling the tank would be so difficult. At this point I gave up and thought I'll find some on the next trip making some calls first. However, turning off the A38 and onto the A380 we found a sign advertising lpg at a Texaco garage. BINGO. Full tank. However, it took two of us to finally figure out the connection and that you have to hold the green button in while filling but so far so good.
Arrived on the campsite. Pitch was not level but a nice chap opposite with a big Bailey unit helped me to deploy the ramps ect. Then, in a jiffy, all was up and running. So quick compared to the caravan. 

The drive down was wonderful, comfortable, powerful, smooth. We even went right through the middle of Lyme Regis, that would have been a coronary in the making with the caravan.

Now,  I did notice on the drive back from the dealer ( Somerset to Dorset ) that the radio reception was not good. In my car I loose radio 4 now and again but not as often as the mh did. However, I discovered the Bourton has 'Google car play'. Excellent, plugged in my mobile and everything came to life. No interruptions in the signal down to Devon, perfect.
The sat nav was excellent, no complaints. The cab has loads of storage and cup holders  view was fantastic. To be able to pull up and enjoy a cup of tea is a major enjoyment. Also, on a side note we noticed other MH's wavi g at us. How nice is that, like being back on the bike.
Only major (major ??) Issue was the cutlery draw does not open when the door is shut. I think I can live with that.
Now, I can't wait to go again.

Next thought is two e bikes on the back or a rack and scooter but first I need to find that weighbridge.
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Widget likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Widget Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:21 am

Hi all. Second trip completed and overall we are in love with the Bourton and the MH concept. Everything works and is pretty simple to use. Driving it is a real pleasure and sleeping in it with a couple of recently purchased Duvalay sleeping bags, great. We've managed to park it on our property which we could never do with the caravan and so far would not bother with a drive away awning. The attached Thule awning is great and maybe add a quality windbreak. See how that goes.
Again thanks for all the comments.
Widget.
Widget
Widget

Male

Paulmold and rogerblack like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2