The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleepers inadequacies

+9
PLOUGHLIN
Bobskate
gemdeco
Peter Brown
Toffee
rventhusiast
groundhog
Paulmold
Mabel98
13 posters

Go down

Autosleepers inadequacies Empty Autosleepers inadequacies

Post by Mabel98 Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:01 pm

Would be interested to know if many others have found dealings with auto sleeper to be difficult and unproductive? Auto sleeper seem to be the company who produce front layout van conversions I like but as a company have others found them to be inept, inefficient and elusive? I ordered a kemmerton xl through a dealer in October 2020 for delivery mid April. In February I was told the vehicles had arrived for conversion BUT auto sleeper had ordered manual boxes not automatic. I ended up having to accept this or I would be without a motor home for the season. Holiday was booked for 9th May. Just been told delivery will be10th. Delivery date was always due to be in April.  
Delay on top of wrong vehicle is not acceptable and no one at auto sleeper willing to take responsibility. Tempted to say stuff the order and look for something else! Anyone got a tent for sale?! What a hopeless company they are.
Mabel98
Mabel98

Female

Auto-Sleeper : kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Autosleepers inadequacies Empty Re: Autosleepers inadequacies

Post by Paulmold Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:19 pm

Has the manual instead of automatic story come from a dealer? Automatics come on Fiats, manuals come on Peugeot so it doesn't  sound right that they could have ordered a Peugeot instead of a Fiat. The Sevel factory where both are produced has been on a one month shutdown due to Covid and only restarted production in the last day or so, so it's possible an Automatic is on its way but obviously  late due to the shutdown. Such delays are obviously  out of AS's control. I'm not trying to make excuses for AS but giving possible reasons.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:36 pm

NO way should you accept a manual if you ordered an automatic but how do you know the dealer ordered the right gearbox in the first place? You are being a bit hasty in castigating Autosleepers as hopeless unless you know what the dealers paperwork says and the detail of the order presented to A/S the manufacturer. As to the delay under the circumstances of covid I think that may be excusable. If the chassis is not being delivered that is a factory problem not an A/S one.

Your contract is with the dealer, it is their responsibility to supply what you ordered and suggest alternatives arrangements including perhaps loaning you a van for your holidays or until yours arrives or doing some form of deal whereby they supply an alternative which you pay for and guarantee the same price back when you accept your new van as long as it is in the same condition.

I would suggest if you like the van ask the dealer to find a solution, (threaten to) cancel the order with that dealer and go to another one if they don't. Do not accept a manual if you want an automatic!!!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Paulmold, frederic, mikethebike, Bobskate, Askit and RCBirmingham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:04 pm

I can only agree with Paul above. Not sure if this is your first foray into Motorhomes but, believe me, dealers are a different breed to car dealerships. Present your car to the dealer, ask them what they are going to do about it. Don’t accept them shifting the blame to A/S and, if necessary, have a solution in mind to put to them such as offering you a loan vehicle for you holidays and ensuring they reorder the automatic vehicle you ordered.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

RCBirmingham likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sat May 01, 2021 10:10 am

I work in the boat building industry, we are experiencing all sorts of issues relating to the supply of equipment all blamed on covid. I would suspect there is a supply issue somewhere, the companies in question in this post involved in vehicle production are so large that it’s unlikely that the communication chain through to the customer is very accurate. I guess if you hold out for exactly what you want, you may be disappointed by a very long wait. This is happening across multiple industries. Try buying spares for current production bicycles, that’s another similar story. Good luck I hope you get there in the end.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat May 01, 2021 2:06 pm

I would be usual for orders placed in October to be delivered June-Aug in the following year however dealers do place orders for stock vehicles so it could be that it was one that he'd already ordered that he wants you to have.

The following experience was the result of just one mans actions so can't blame the company. We ordered a new van in October 2006 and it wasn't delivered till March 2008. I sussed out the facts over the next couple of years and the one man responsible was the then CEO of Autosleeper who directed that our nearly complete van should be delivered to another customer. As we had added options to our chassis they had to start the whole procurement process from scratch. it happens, that the couple who our original van was given too were gassed on the drive home as the exhaust fumes were being funnelled up the 'B' pillar - fortunately no harm came to them.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Sat May 01, 2021 9:24 pm

Hi 
    You ordered an automatic because that is what you wanted if you accept anything else you will constantly regretting it The new Fiat autobox I understand is quite good. I agree with one one the previous threads someone else has got your motorhome. Give the Dealer a choice lend you a MH until your ordered MH is delivered or lose the sale. If you are lucky try round the dealers and someone may be having a stock/demonstrator on order Autosleepers may give you a list of MH's on order. 
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Sun May 02, 2021 9:17 am

gemdeco wrote: Give the Dealer a choice lend you a MH until your ordered MH is delivered or lose the sale.
Not sure that is the best idea. As I understand it if you start again there is a dearth on motorhomes available.....long delivery times. The same applies to secondhand. I think the OP should stay with the existing dealer and really push hard ....the contract is with them. In the meantime by all means look around.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Kdc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Sun May 02, 2021 10:14 am

If pushing the dealer there is no reason why they cannot resort to ringing other dealers/Autosleepers to see if an alternative stock vehicle is available - let them do the leg work it’s their mistake but your choice of vehicle.
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun May 02, 2021 10:19 am

Mabel98 hasn't visited the  forum since starting this thread. Maybe we should  wait now and see if any  update comes.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun May 02, 2021 5:46 pm

Just seen this on MHFun

"Ordered my Burstner in August 2020, first told February delivery, then April- still no sign of it !!"
and this
"A dealer told me last week that for all last year there have been and there still are are delays in the supply of the base vehicles to the converters.
Apparently base vehicle production has been affected by Covid precautions at the factories and a shortage of bought-in materials."

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun May 02, 2021 6:34 pm

Many car plant have temporarily ceased production due to chip unavailability from China due to Covid supply problems.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:36 pm

I whent to a dealer with a view to buying a new  nuevo  . They had a like new used nuevo on the forcort  so I bought  it  saved a few quid. Collected it 2 weeks later  happy days ,
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Fixer Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:41 pm

I have only just seen this thread but it is true. I ordered an automatic last September for March delivery which was put back to April then had a call that Autosleepers had ordered 6 manual vans from Fiat in error.
Why no one at Fiat questioned this is beyond fathomable as Autosleepers only order automatic vehicles from them.
Anyway I was offered a buyback deal on the manual but was not comfortable as it could be messy if anything were to happen in the meantime so decided to cancel.
In hindsight with the issues I keep seeing about poor electrics and charging problems I think it was a good thing.
Fixer
Fixer

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasmarion Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:55 am

Autosleeper
thomasmarion
thomasmarion

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ascot
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:22 am

Paulmold wrote:Mabel98 hasn't visited the  forum since starting this thread. Maybe we should  wait now and see if any  update comes.

Any sign of Mabel ?

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:29 am

mikethebike wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Mabel98 hasn't visited the  forum since starting this thread. Maybe we should  wait now and see if any  update comes.

Any sign of Mabel ?

Micky
Oddly Mabel visited the forum only last night but still hasn't posted since April.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 am

thomasmarion wrote:Autosleeper
Strange post, first post, profile says model Ascot , year 2020. No such model in 2020.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down