The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canopy Accessories

+3
burlingtonboaby
inspiredron
davecrawf
7 posters

Go down

Canopy Accessories Empty Canopy Accessories

Post by davecrawf Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:37 pm

Does anyone have experience of fitting front and side screens to the roll out canopy on a Broadway EK, such as the type from Lillypad?
davecrawf
davecrawf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Canopy Accessories Empty Re: Canopy Accessories

Post by inspiredron Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:23 am

Lillypads are very useful but don't expect to leave them up while away from the van or at night. Simply hanging the sides from an expanding clothes line prop wedged between the van side and the front rafter of the canopy is somewhat insecure. They are useful for keeping out draughts though and take up very little space when not being used.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

davecrawf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:03 am

Hi Dave
Welcome to the forum from Bridington.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by davecrawf Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:29 am

inspiredron wrote:Lillypads are very useful but don't expect to leave them up while away from the van or at night. Simply hanging the sides from an expanding clothes line prop wedged between the van side and the front rafter of the canopy is somewhat insecure. They are useful for keeping out draughts though and take up very little space when not being used.
Thank Ron,

Really appreciated the advice. 

Dave
davecrawf
davecrawf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi davecrawf, we purchased same for our previous Broadway ES and inspiredron has given the basic principle on the design. It proved most useful say on a late summer's afternoon into the evening when it got chilly, allowing you to reside outside protected from the cooling breeze. It fits on a 3.5 metre awning rail. Now we have changed our van, it is for sale if you are interested. Regards.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Forgot to send image.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davecrawf Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Paramedic wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]That looks excellent and would definitely be interested in your offer.

Forgot to send image.
davecrawf
davecrawf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davecrawf Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:02 pm

Paramedic wrote:Hi davecrawf, we purchased same for our previous Broadway ES and inspiredron has given the basic principle on the design. It proved most useful say on a late summer's afternoon into the evening when it got chilly, allowing you to reside outside protected from the cooling breeze. It fits on a 3.5 metre awning rail. Now we have changed our van, it is for sale if you are interested. Regards.
I am definitely interested in your offer.
I have tried to send you my email address, however as a new member to the forum I cannot do this.
davecrawf
davecrawf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Further davecrawf, I've sent you a pm.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davecrawf Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:11 pm

Paramedic wrote:Further davecrawf, I've sent you a pm.
Hi Simon, 

I have sent you an email. You may need to check your spam folder. 
Admin are not letting me respond to your PM's

Cheers 

Dave

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi Dave,

You could take a look at Thule Smartpanels (if your wind-out is Thule). You can get different sizes of panels depending on the configuration of your set-up.

The side panels come with a tension rafter they helps stabilise the awning. I only got one side so I bought an extra rafter for stability.

New lockdown purchase so haven't tried them in earnest yet.......

Gary
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:07 am

gpilky wrote:Hi Dave,

You could take a look at Thule Smartpanels (if your wind-out is Thule). You can get different sizes of panels depending on the configuration of your set-up.

The side panels come with a tension rafter they helps stabilise the awning. I only got one side so I bought an extra rafter for stability.

New lockdown purchase so haven't tried them in earnest yet.......

Gary
I'm interested in the tension rafter.  My awning has sockets for a rafter at either end presumably for end Smart Panels to hang off.  Do you know if the rafter that fits into these sockets is the same as the Thule G2 rafter which is bought to tension the awning and comes with its own sockets?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by davecrawf Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:05 pm

My canopy is not a Thule. In fact I cannot determine the manufacturer. However I am just awaiting delivery of a Lillypad from one of our ASOC members. 

Thanks to everyone for their advice. 

Dave

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:39 pm

The Thule Omnistore seems to be one A-S fit now.  My question about the Thule rafters was for Gary/gpilky who has them.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:43 am

Caraman wrote:The Thule Omnistore seems to be one A-S fit now.  My question about the Thule rafters was for Gary/gpilky who has them.
Hi Caraman,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. The Tension Rafter G2 came with a variety of adaptors that you choose depending on the canopy model. The User Manual and Spare Parts list are [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . You should be able to find out everything you need to know from there.

The rafter on the Smart Panel did not need any adapter and fitted directly on my van to the connections already there - I looked at buying a spare instead of the Tension Rafter but they were hugely expensive. The Tension Rafter did need one of the adapters.

By the way, some sites advertise them but don't have them in stock. There appears to be limited supply from Thule. I got mine from Hillview Awnings, and they did have everything in stock.

Hope this helps - let me know if I can help further

Gary
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:06 pm

gpilky wrote:
Caraman wrote:The Thule Omnistore seems to be one A-S fit now.  My question about the Thule rafters was for Gary/gpilky who has them.
Hi Caraman,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. The Tension Rafter G2 came with a variety of adaptors that you choose depending on the canopy model. The User Manual and Spare Parts list are [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . You should be able to find out everything you need to know from there.

The rafter on the Smart Panel did not need any adapter and fitted directly on my van to the connections already there - I looked at buying a spare instead of the Tension Rafter but they were hugely expensive. The Tension Rafter did need one of the adapters.

By the way, some sites advertise them but don't have them in stock. There appears to be limited supply from Thule. I got mine from Hillview Awnings, and they did have everything in stock.

Hope this helps - let me know if I can help further

Gary
Thanks Gary.  Really helpful.  So I take it that the G2 tension rafter is't quite the same as the rafter that comes with the side panel which is a more expensive rafter than the G2.  Is it your intention to put the G2 into the existing connections on the opposite side to your side panel so you have a rafter at each side?  My Nuevo has the shortest awning of all.  Do you reckon one G2 fitted to the centre is all that will be required to tension it?  The CAMC shop seems to have the best deal on the G2 at the moment.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:01 pm

I'm not sure whether a single rafter in the middle would be enough and did wonder if it would be a more even tension with a rafter at both ends. Not to say it won't work - I guess you can get one to try it and add another if it doesn't work out. I thought i saw somewhere that if the canopy it not very long you can't put a rafter in the middle - but perhaps this was a third leg. Probably best to check.

Having said this, as I had a rafter at one side with the side panel, it made more sense for me to have a second at the other side too to keep it even. I've tried it on the drive and it seemed fine, but yet to try in earnest on a site..... 

I only wanted a side-panel and a short section at the front to form a sort of 'cosy-corner'. As the rafter for the side panel has grooves in my original plan was to by a second grooved rafter for the other side too so I could swap the sides quickly if I wanted to (the Tension Rafter G2 doesn't have the grooves!).
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:58 pm

gpilky wrote:I'm not sure whether a single rafter in the middle would be enough and did wonder if it would be a more even tension with a rafter at both ends. Not to say it won't work - I guess you can get one to try it and add another if it doesn't work out. I thought i saw somewhere that if the canopy it not very long you can't put a rafter in the middle - but perhaps this was a third leg. Probably best to check.

Having said this, as I had a rafter at one side with the side panel, it made more sense for me to have a second at the other side too to keep it even. I've tried it on the drive and it seemed fine, but yet to try in earnest on a site..... 

I only wanted a side-panel and a short section at the front to form a sort of 'cosy-corner'. As the rafter for the side panel has grooves in my original plan was to by a second grooved rafter for the other side too so I could swap the sides quickly if I wanted to (the Tension Rafter G2 doesn't have the grooves!).
agree3
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Fri May 14, 2021 10:20 am

I had my tension rafters and side panels on last week and what a difference the tension rafters make. The canopy feels really solid with them in place and the added bonus it that the canopy itself is pulled tighter (so less likely to flap?). Took a couple of minutes extra to fit them. Used Thule storm straps to hold the canopy down.

The panels themselves were easy to put on, but they are quite long. I got the size recommended by Thule but to be honest I might have been better with one size shorter.

Overall, I'm pleased with the setup - its really nice to have the sheltered area to sit / store things out of the rain (and we had a nice dry patch despite it raining heavily all Saturday afternoon!). I've attached some photos ......

gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 am

A couple more photos.....

gpilky
gpilky

Male

Dbvwt, Caraman and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri May 14, 2021 11:51 am

I've just bought the one tension rafter for use in the middle but haven't fitted or used it yet.  As far as I can see, the wider end of the rafter that goes at the motorhome end has a plastic bracket permanently attached to it that fits into a receptor permanently attached to awning.  Is this correct?

I see you have also got the metal plates to secure the bottom of the upright poles.  I also have these.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Fri May 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Caraman wrote:I've just bought the one tension rafter for use in the middle but haven't fitted or used it yet.  As far as I can see, the wider end of the rafter that goes at the motorhome end has a plastic bracket permanently attached to it that fits into a receptor permanently attached to awning.  Is this correct?

I see you have also got the metal plates to secure the bottom of the upright poles.  I also have these.
Yes - this is correct - it came with the rafter kit. My awning is a 6200, but it is slightly different for different models. Just need to make sure you get the rafter for your awning model. The instructions are very clear about what adapters you need.
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by j8snl Mon May 17, 2021 9:33 pm

gpilky wrote:I had my tension rafters and side panels on last week and what a difference the tension rafters make. The canopy feels really solid with them in place and the added bonus it that the canopy itself is pulled tighter (so less likely to flap?). Took a couple of minutes extra to fit them. Used Thule storm straps to hold the canopy down.

The panels themselves were easy to put on, but they are quite long. I got the size recommended by Thule but to be honest I might have been better with one size shorter.

Overall, I'm pleased with the setup - its really nice to have the sheltered area to sit / store things out of the rain (and we had a nice dry patch despite it raining heavily all Saturday afternoon!). I've attached some photos ......

Hi Gpilky, thanks for sharing this.  I'm at that stage of debate with myself around using my Thule 6200 and going down one of the Thule routes, or going for an Air Awning.  I wonder if you can help me with a couple of questions:

1. Is what you have in the pictures the G2 Rain Blocker Side and the G2 Rain Blocker Front?
2. Do you get the tension arm in the Side Panel pack?  I think yes based on your post
3. Does the side panel hang into this rail?  Slide into a bead or similar then loop over with velcro or velcro only?
4. Is the front panel hanging directly on the face of the Thule into the bead opening?
5. And stupid question :-) is the tension arm adjustable?  At the weekend we didn't fully unwind our awning, just wanted some shelter for drying the dog.  But with some wind we needed to wind in, so I'd like to maybe use the tension rafter without any sides for stability on an awning that may not be fully out without necessarily putting the sides up.  Hope that question makes sense

I like the idea you have, creating a space / corner for drying the dog, some dry outdoor storage and I can build this awning up over time versus paying all out in one go.

Thanks for any additional info

Jason
j8snl
j8snl

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Tue May 18, 2021 8:35 am

Hi Jason,

In answer to your questions:

1. Is what you have in the pictures the G2 Rain Blocker Side and the G2 Rain Blocker Front? Yes. I have the 2.5m side and the front is 1.5m.

2. Do you get the tension arm in the Side Panel pack?  I think yes based on your post. Yes - the tension arm is included

3. Does the side panel hang into this rail?  Slide into a bead or similar then loop over with velcro or velcro only? There is a slot in the tension arm and a bead on the side panel. This just slides in. The strap you see is at the point the bead is fed into the grove, and I thing is there to stop it coming out accidentally. There is a video from Thule that shows the fitting [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

4. Is the front panel hanging directly on the face of the Thule into the bead opening? Yes

5. And stupid question :-) is the tension arm adjustable?  At the weekend we didn't fully unwind our awning, just wanted some shelter for drying the dog.  But with some wind we needed to wind in, so I'd like to maybe use the tension rafter without any sides for stability on an awning that may not be fully out without necessarily putting the sides up.  Hope that question makes sense. No. There are two sizes only, 2.5m and 2m (if I recall correctly (for the 6200 awning). They are fixed sizes, I assume to maximise stability. I've not had it out in strong wind yet but it did feel much more stable, and with the storm straps it was rock solid. 

Hope this helps. I did look for an alternative for ages but getting something for the motorhome was not easy - almost everything is sized for caravans which are lower in height. I did find a 'Cosy Corner' from Isabella that was due to be launched this year - its smaller but might be worth a look for comparison.

Cheers

Gary
gpilky
gpilky

Male

j8snl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by j8snl Tue May 18, 2021 10:20 am

Gary. Thanks so much. 

This is really helpful, also for suggesting a vendor who seems to have actual stock:-)

Appreciate the response
j8snl
j8snl

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down