The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot Water

5 posters

Go down

Hot Water Empty Hot Water

Post by pjonesf1 Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

I am in the process of cleaning my fresh water tank but cant get any water from the hot side of the taps. 
Last year I fitted a Shurflo pump because of the problems bleeding the original pump. The Shurflow worked well all of last summer. I now have water coming out of the cold side but nothing on the hot. Ideas please.
I'm guessing I have an air lock in the water heater because the pump isn't turning off when I close the taps.
pjonesf1
pjonesf1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Hot Water Empty Re: Hot Water

Post by Guest Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:04 pm

i guess a 2016 van will have a Truma Combi? you need to have at least 10ltr in the system to fill it and a few more for the pipework.
are you sure the system has filled?
are you getting aire from the hot taps, ie is the system under pressure?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pjonesf1 Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi Bolero, I now have water coming out of both taps, hot and cold, even if it is spitting still. Progress!

The main problem now appear to be that the Shurflo pump isn't turning off. I have tried adjusting the screw in both directions but it still runs.
pjonesf1
pjonesf1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilki2312 Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Mine took forever to fill the “storage” heater. Just left all the taps open and waited until they spluttered to life then it all went quiet and works fine :-)
Wilki2312
Wilki2312

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

pjonesf1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:53 pm

pjonesf1 wrote:Hi Bolero, I now have water coming out of both taps, hot and cold, even if it is spitting still. Progress!

The main problem now appear to be that the Shurflo pump isn't turning off. I have tried adjusting the screw in both directions but it still runs.
If its still spitting then all the air hasn't been pushed out of the boiler and it will not be pressurised so the Shurflo won't turn off with the hot taps open although it will if the hot taps are closed, however it will hiss and spit when the hot tap is reopened. Unless there is a leak somewhere.

When priming for the first time after being drained down and there have been frosts I always take it in stages checking and listening for leaks. If there is a leak you could pump an awful lot of water under a bench or etc.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 pm

With temperatures sub 3C the dump valve will have opened and emptied the boiler. This also means that even when you close the tap, the open dump valve will not allow sufficient pressure to shut down the Shuflo pump.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:32 am

yes, Keith is right, the dump valve will/might open at low temperatures and the OP might have lost his water, nut this should be obvious with water all over the floor under the van and an empty fresh tank.
easily remedied, refill, reprime, check all taps as earlier.
however, the system might still be full, in which case the bleeding process needs to be completed to get the pump working again properly...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by pjonesf1 Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:40 pm

All sorted now thank you all
pjonesf1
pjonesf1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:42 am

It would be helpful to others if you were to share the solution to this problem.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 am

I've experience a similar problem to the OP.  It's usually because I haven't shut the frost valve which is immediately apparent.  On a couple of occasions it was because I hadn't refitted the filter bowel properly which wasn't immediately apparent but is easily remedied.  If its rubber seal isn't seated correctly the pump will drag air into the system.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down