The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New owner - 2021 Symbol

+2
rogerblack
v8oholic
6 posters

Go down

New owner - 2021 Symbol Empty New owner - 2021 Symbol

Post by v8oholic Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:56 am

Hello, I'm in the process of buying a brand new Symbol for collection next week.

I have not been anywhere near a campsite since I was 12 years old. For several years, childhood holidays consisted of the family Sprite Alpine hooked up to my dad's Capri 2000GT XLR touring all over Europe. Many happy memories from those long sunny days in seemingly exotic locations. I can see things have changed a bit since the days of orange curtains, no mains hookup and gas lighting. I'm looking forward to getting organised for touring, both home and abroad.

I expect I will have some questions about fairly banal things, as I'm not only new to the brand, but I've never had a camper van or motorhome of any kind before either. So it will be a voyage of discovery on more than one level!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

steamdrivenandy likes this post

Back to top Go down

New owner - 2021 Symbol Empty Re: New owner - 2021 Symbol

Post by rogerblack Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:21 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. 

Hope all goes well, I don't know how they're doing handovers these days but there'll be lots of info to take in as these new vans have quite sophisticated systems.

Once you've had a play with things, sing out on here if you have any questions.

Something I always recommend to new owners is if you have the ability to park it up on your drive then aim to spend a couple of days and nights using it there before setting off further afield.  This will allow you to familiarise yourself with all the onboard systems and check that they work OK. Also it will highlight if you have omitted any crucial item of personal equipment, bedding, crockery, corkscrew etc with the ability to nip indoors and fetch things or in the worst case scenario move back indoors. 

Much better than starting the learning curve in the middle of the night in a remote field or campsite miles away from home.  up!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:35 am

Given your ID I thought this might be an appropriate welcome 

New owner - 2021 Symbol 800px-10
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

v8oholic and Lancy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:49 am

steamdrivenandy wrote:Given your ID I thought this might be an appropriate welcome 

New owner - 2021 Symbol 800px-10

Thanks, I just used the same name as on Twitter, IG etc! Cars have been my hobby my whole adult life!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:52 am

rogerblack wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum. 

Hope all goes well, I don't know how they're doing handovers these days but there'll be lots of info to take in as these new vans have quite sophisticated systems.

Something I always recommend to new owners is if you have the ability to park it up on your drive then aim to spend a couple of days and nights using it there before setting off further afield.  This will allow you to familiarise yourself with all the onboard systems and check that they work OK. Also it will highlight if you have omitted any crucial item of personal equipment, bedding, crockery, corkscrew etc with the ability to nip indoors and fetch things or in the worst case scenario move back indoors. 

Much better than starting the learning curve in the middle of the night in a remote field or campsite miles away from home.  up!

Thanks, yes there is a lot to take in initially. I need to figure out all the things I will need to buy before going anywhere, too. Everything from cutlery to bedding. 13A mains adaptor for hookup at home. Stuff for the toilet. Portable chairs. All the usual clutter!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancy Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:11 pm

Welcome and enjoy your Symbol. We have a new to us and can’t wait to get to know her next week!
Lancy
Lancy

Female

Vehicle Year : 2012

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:24 pm

v8oholic wrote:
rogerblack wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum. 

Thanks, yes there is a lot to take in initially. I need to figure out all the things I will need to buy before going anywhere, too. Everything from cutlery to bedding. 13A mains adaptor for hookup at home. Stuff for the toilet. Portable chairs. All the usual clutter!
You're right, there will be loads you'll genuinely need but beware!  Our garage has a couple of shelves full of stuff that we've bought for the camper over the years that we found we didn't actually really need, as it's easy to get carried away. Attending motorhome shows was one of the worst things for buying gimmicky gadgets; that has ceased for the time being but getting carried away online is equally easy.  up!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:28 pm