The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to store food & pans etc in EK Broadway

+9
Libraryman2
jetty
Caraman
harrysp
inspiredron
BornAgain
Page Turner
Tinwheeler
HJA
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to store food & pans etc in EK Broadway Empty How to store food & pans etc in EK Broadway

Post by HJA Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:39 pm

We have had our EK Broadway for two years.  Y1 - picked it up in May and spent time getting used to it (after a caravan) - Y2 - not really a lot to be said about that!
So into Y3 and we are sorting out ready to go away.  We dont think we have got things right.
Bedding is an issue which we have sorting but not perfectly.  We have 2 Duvalays.  One can fit in the offside under bunk cupboard - but only one, becasue of battery, electrics etc.  So the other has to go the other side, which is also the outside locker and so contains pipes and buckets etc.  But also becuase we have a click up extension shelf at the fridge end of the bed (which we use) it is really difficult to lift up the bed with cushion still on it - it gets stuck on the shelf.
But kitchen is the real problem.  The cupboard under the cooker is nearly useless - OH cant get things out/put pans away without getting down on the floor.  He says it is becasue he is too tall, I say it is because he doesnt bend properly!  (Neither of us can crouch).
So that leaves the big cupboard for all the pans - 2 saucepans, frying pan, casserole type pan for hob, remoska; and the 2 kettles (one gas, one electric) & teapot.  Plus boxes of breakfast cereals.
Tins have been in the drawers below the sink and really they are too heavy.  The open space above the fridge that had wine glasses, got taken apart very quickly and that is where we store tubs of pasta, rice etc.
Cupboards above sink house mixing bowls, kitchen towel, spices, tea & coffee.

Having sat in the van looking at it all I think my big problem is the three drawers.  One is kitchen utensils but I dont think I am really using the other two to best advantage.

What do other people put in those drawers?  Any other storage ideas?

There is no over-cab cupboard - just a shelf.
HJA
HJA

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

How to store food & pans etc in EK Broadway Empty Re: How to store food & pans etc in EK Broadway

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm

My first thought is that you may not have cut down on the amount of stuff you carried in your caravan but transferred it all across. I suggest a radical rethink of your requirements may be the first thing to do. 

Good luck.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

How to store food & pans etc in EK Broadway Empty Re: How to store food & pans etc in EK Broadway

Post by Page Turner Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:06 pm

We have a Nuevo rather than Broadway, but it too is an EK so not much different I don’t think.  We have a drawer of kitchen utensils which I find really handy.  The other two have cleaning stuff in one and.. well bits and bobs in the other - spare toilet roll, clothes pegs etc.  I agree that the food cupboard isn’t easy to use, but we’ve put a large plastic box with a handle on each shelf which can be pulled out to view contents easily.  I’ve covered the front edges of the shelves with furry material which stops scuffing and facilitates the boxes sliding forward.  We use the microwave as a bread and crisp bin hugegrins
Page Turner
Page Turner

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:19 pm

We were in the same situation four years ago swapping a large caravan for a Broadway EK. We bought lots of things then got rid of them all for lack of space. We also have two Duvalays and they both go in the nearside locker. Quite a few pots and pans go in the oven whilst travelling (we don’t use the oven anyway). Small portable BBQ in offside locker. Folding bucket etc. We also use the shower compartment for storage whilst travelling (but, again, we don’t use the shower anyway). If pushed for space we could put a Duvalay on one of the seats when driving then dump it on the passenger seat when we stop.

Sounds like you have too much stuff. Go somewhere hot, dump the cooking things and eat salads!
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by HJA Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 pm

We do actually use what we take.  We dont take anything like what we had acculumlated in the caravan.  We do use the shower on a nearly daily basis - so could use it for travel storage, but not when parked up.
The idea of covering the lips to stop boxes scuffing sounds good.
I do cook - we rarely eat out - it's just not our thing, but we very rarely use the oven.  Do use the grill, and ocasionally the microwave.
HJA
HJA

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:21 pm

I'm amazed at your problem. We have a Nuevo EK, admittedly with the overcab lockers which, on a 2011 body shell are bigger than on the 2012 onwards. And we don't use duvalays.  4 pillows, duvet, bottom sheet TV and laptop are above cab in central locker. Towels spare linen go in right hand overcab with two fleece dressing gowns in left one. Offside locker takes a crate of dry goods/ wine, soft drinks, spare kitchen rolls toilet pare, soapbetc. Nearside bed locker has Radar Safari Chef, two outdoor chairs, space for 18 bottles of wine, small vacuum cleaner, two rucsacs, walking poles, walking shoes, lightweight sides for awning. Above the fridge we use left locker for cake box, bread etc she right hand one is 5he library (books, maps etc). We each have one offside top locker for a month's clothes (shirts,, pants etc). The nearside lockers house first aid, games equipment, cameras, binoculars etc. At the rear we have IKEA Samoa boxes to house fruit and veg that doesn't need the fridge in the cupboard while the drawers take cutlery, spice jars, sharps and small empty storage boxes for fridge storage. 7nder the cooker goes a griddle plate, gas kettle, Tefal Ingenio saucepan set (3 pans + frypan);plastic bowls and plastic chopping boards (not terribly easy but at almost 80 we can both still kneel down). Rear top lockers have real china, teapot, small mains kettle, teas, coffee, sugar, flour, dried fruit, breakfast cereal all in sensibly sized containers. Glasses are in clips in dresser above fridge which, itself, is a tardis. Shower area is free space, occasionally used for short term overflow of fresh vegetables when I get over-enthusiastic in the supermarket.
I have to say it works for us! But I refused to buy the 2012 model at the NEC in 2011 because it had no overcab lockers and they had also added the wet locker. We had a 2012 Euro 5 Van built in a 2011 body shell. The wet locker has levelling ramps, outside doormat, 2 warning triangles, 10 litre bucket, hoses, EHU cable, wood blocks for steadies, steady winder and jump cables so was a MUST HAVE, as were the overcab lockers.
Hope that helps. We do use most of what we transport but have thought about storage quite carefully.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:50 am

I think if you have the overhead locker (is that what they call a Luton?) it makes a big difference. You would be hard pushed to carry what you do in a Nuevo without that.

One thing I forgot to mention, we do have two decent sized outdoor folding safari style picnic chairs. They won’t fit in a locker so we strap each one to the back of the driver and passenger seats using a bungee elastic. Works very well.
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Page Turner Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:08 am

No overhead locker here, and we came from a van with an enormous garage so it was a shock to the system fitting everything into the Nuevo!  I think it helps that we don’t do outdoor activities that need wet storage, so the little outside wet locker is enough for hose, collapsible bucket and collapsible watering can.  This leaves the underbeds free for bedding (homemade “duvalays”), walking boots and rucksacks.  Like you BornAgain, our outdoor chairs travel behind the driver and passenger seats - we picked that tip up from here.
We love the many lockers and cupboards in the Nuevo. As said before the microwave doubles up, as does the oven - the cadac lives in there smile!
Page Turner
Page Turner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:20 am

"But kitchen is the real problem.  The cupboard under the cooker is nearly useless - OH cant get things out/put pans away without getting down on the floor.  He says it is becasue he is too tall, I say it is because he doesnt bend properly!  (Neither of us can crouch).
So that leaves the big cupboard for all the pans - 2 saucepans, frying pan, casserole type pan for hob, remoska; and the 2 kettles (one gas, one electric) & teapot.  Plus boxes of breakfast cereals.
Tins have been in the drawers below the sink and really they are too heavy.  The open space above the fridge that had wine glasses, got taken apart very quickly and that is where we store tubs of pasta, rice etc."

the secret to good kitchen storage is deep drawer space...
it looks like the Broadway kitchen has sufficient space somthat 'could' be modified to have half a dozen decent deep drawers....rather than four small ones and a cupboard.
cupboards make it darned difficult to reach in to get stuff at the back, and unless being used for something really tall, dont make good use of the height...
our kitchen is a tad smaller than the Broadway but has its storage focus on deep drawers, with heavy tins and pots stored low down but accessible. a good carpenter (or MH service centre) could transform the Broadway storage for you...
you could have two much deeper drawers on the left side and the top drawer and two double depth ones on the right...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:00 pm

We have the same model Broadway and for the most part only carry stuff that fits in a cupboard, apart from the chairs that store behind the cab seats, a tip picked up from Quilter. 

We have Duvulay, one whole and, because I didn’t want this, I have a Duvulay base but use a separate duvet which is less bulky. Along with two quite solid pillows this all fits into the offside locker under the seat. 

As for packing the kitchen, we all have different requirements here’s what I do(Mrs H). The cupboard under the cooker is as you say pretty useless, but I have a padded supermarket freezer bag and I keep the oven shelf, a small frying pan and a few other small kitchen bits. The grill pan was ditched years ago as the grill is useless and we seldom eat toast-all it’s good for. 

In the cupboard above the sink I use a spare washing up bowl in which I keep the kettle, cups, measuring jug and small teapot sufficient for two. There is sufficient space to keep bread here too.  Each item is divided using shower matting that has been cut approximately. In the cupboard above the cooker I keep bike panniers and helmets. 

Next the cupboard to the right of the drawers. I keep a suitably sized plastic box on each shelf and in this are 3 saucepans (removable handles), lids and two handles. Around these there’s plenty of space for tins, the odd bottle of wine. Next to the plastic box I keep a cereal box with dry dog food. In the bottom shelf (the one with the safe at the back) I keep another plastic box with my Remoska. Next to this there’s space for a few more bits.

Cutlery is kept in the drawer above this cupboard. In the under sink drawer I have tea towels, clothes pegs, spare cloths. The other three drawers have various bits, chargers, some cooking utensils, spare glasses etc. The bottom one is the medicine cabinet- we’re all getting on and the content of this seems to be increasing.

Above the fridge I keep plates (Corelle) in the bag supplied by AS which stores them nicely for travelling- we removed the fitting that came with the van. Next to this I keep cereal. In the cupboard to the right of this I have more plastic storage boxes in which I keep other non perishable food. 

We use the glasses storage above the fridge to store the wine glasses (not the ones supplied) and it also fits the teabag/coffee and sugar containers.

This all works quite nicely for us. The other paraphernalia such as hook up cable, tools, external blinds, bike batteries, small table for outside all fit into the nearside locker under the bed. 

Hope this is useful.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:22 am

We all have our own locker usage which fits our individual needs. One size does NOT fit all. And what works great for one trip may need to be tweaked for another trip that causes priorities to be reassessed

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by HJA Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:59 pm

Many thanks for all your replies.  They have given me various ideas and I have now packed the stuff we always take with us in a different way to how we had before.  We will see how it goes!
I do agree with bolero boy that big drawers would be useful.  One other thing with this Broadway is that the door on the very right of the kitchen (thanks for the picture bb) doesnt open fully because of the flyscreen casette on the hab door!!
We dont have  overcab storage - so all the stuff people store there has to go in the lockers.
Harrysp - I am impressed you can get all your bedding in the offside locker under the bed - we couldnt manage that before we had the duvalays, yet alone now.  Does your 2015 model not have half the locker taken up with the battery & electrics?  I can only get one duvalay & 2 pillows.
There is plenty of storage - just not really well designed!  You live & learn & until you use the van I dont think some things show up.
HJA
HJA

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:07 am

We manage very well with our low profile EK Nuevo having also downsized from a much larger caravan.  I had the leisure battery under the o/s bunk moved forward and turned so it fits laterally.  There is just enough room for it if the heating duct is bent a little.  This creates enough space for both Duvalays to fit under the o/s bunk side by side between the battery and electrics, leaving enough space for the EC700's ventilation and for a Shurfo pump.  It's snug but it works and no problem getting the Duvalays out.  This should be even easier in the longer Broadway.  Our pillows crush into the open side lockers above the cab.  We predominantly use the n/s under bunk space for things that are or can be accessed from the outside through the hatch.  For better weight distribution we sometimes carry a bag of heavy food and drink items under the bunk next to the wheel arch.  We use the shower all the time but in it whilst travelling from pitch to pitch we stow a couple of largish folding chairs, a 30 litre water roll and the windscreen cover all of which go outside when the van is in use.  We use the drawer above the Combi for dirty linen and the cupboard by the door for shoes.  We only take 1 small gas kettle which is usually heated on the electric ring.  We have downsized our pans so they all fit in the pan locker beneath the oven.  We don't have a Remorska but usually take a George Forman in the n/s under bunk locker.  We have fitted free standing shelves in the lockers above the oven/sink which we use for food.

Last edited by Caraman on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by jetty Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:09 am

We have a Nuevo EK and take a thin double duvet to lie on, a thicker one to cover us and 4 pillows. We quickly found that our best way was to have them neatly on a bench seat when on the move, but on site to store them on a front seat. We only need to turn one of them round to face the living area. We rarely use the shower  (the was basin and loo ,yes) and find that a good storage area for wellies, shoes (in a box), buckets etc.

Last edited by jetty on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : omission)
jetty
jetty
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 am

That cupboard under the cooker is too small...however recently I looked at it and the back will come out and i have been able to refit it deeper.....I.e. further back  .....in honesty it doesn’t give a lot of extra room about 2 inches......but in these vans every bit counts.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:33 am

"I do agree with bolero boy that big drawers would be useful.  One other thing with this Broadway is that the door on the very right of the kitchen (thanks for the picture bb) doesnt open fully because of the flyscreen casette on the hab door!!"

glad you're getting some good ideas...the drawers are great as heavy tinned food (when in the UK, fresh when away) can be stored safely, low down...
duvets/duvalays are obviously an issue (one that we dont have even in our short van) and this is the great paradox...'more (apparent) living space' without a fixed bed in the van leads to more to store (pillows/duvets) but without the huge underbed space to store them. the bedding stores on our (two) doubles leaving the space under free for other 'stuff'.
more gadgets (the salesman's dream) take more space, either under the bunks (heaters, more batterries, huge PSU units) or in cupboards (microwaves, now coffee makers etc)...
continental kitchens focus on storage (large drawers) and a grill or oven is very much an after thought (no real requirement in their home market) whereas UK kitchens major on as large a cooker that can fit and every other device known to man, with large easily accessed, safe storage being fitted around where possible...often not very well thought out or executed, as you say.
these things all influence our purchasing decisions and, like many things, polarise opinion.
good luck with the storage connundrum....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:15 am

Minimalism is all! Anything youve transported since getting it, agreed re 2020
That hasnt been used is unnecessary imho.
Having a caravan means you also had a car so could carry all manner of stuff in the car as well
These days are over!
Anything you take out reduces weight and increases payload. Have you had it weighed? If not you should. See so many guesses on here, only accurate weight is a weighbridge.
Pan storage is easier by the daily use of plat de jour or menu del dia!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:21 pm

IanH wrote:Minimalism is all! Anything youve transported since getting it, agreed re 2020
That hasnt been used is unnecessary imho.
ian, i guess adhering to your above 'rule' meant you had to sell the van!

Pan storage is easier by the daily use of plat de jour or menu del dia!!!

youre right there!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 pm

Hesitate to mention this Chris but another pending!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:44 pm

good man, just make sure you get sufficient use so that youre allowed to keep it!
good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:25 pm

We use the nearside under bed locker for both Duvalays and two pillows all a snug fit with any unopened beer or wine bottles when travelling.

Drivers door pocket has EHU cable in a bag (bags for you I think)
Nearside door pocket another bag with stretchy hose pipe and various tap fittings

Outside chairs and occasionally aqua roll (in bags once again) travel in the shower till arrival on site then under the motorhome when not in use 

I think now into our fourth year we have got it sorted.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:52 pm

HJA wrote:
Harrysp - I am impressed you can get all your bedding in the offside locker under the bed - we couldnt manage that before we had the duvalays, yet alone now.  Does your 2015 model not have half the locker taken up with the battery & electrics?  I can only get one duvalay & 2 pillows.
I think ours is the same, or at least similar to yours, with the battery box, and other bits taking up a good chunk of the locker. We roll the complete Duvulay, the mattress base only Duvulay and my duvet very tight and they do fit in. The foam on my mattress base is thicker than that of the complete Duvulay, but I must admit that if we had two complete Duvulays I think it might be doubtful they’d fit.

Previous vans we’ve had all had the overcab lockers (not AS) and I do miss them. In the last van we could fit the chairs and all the bedding.

Keep trying different ways of packing and you will find what works best for you.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 pm

harrysp wrote:
HJA wrote:
I think ours is the same, or at least similar to yours, with the battery box, and other bits taking up a good chunk of the locker. We roll the complete Duvulay, the mattress base only Duvulay and my duvet very tight and they do fit in. The foam on my mattress base is thicker than that of the complete Duvulay, but I must admit that if we had two complete Duvulays I think it might be doubtful they’d fit.

Previous vans we’ve had all had the overcab lockers (not AS) and I do miss them. In the last van we could fit the chairs and all the bedding.

Keep trying different ways of packing and you will find what works best for you.
As I said earlier, if you move the leisure battery box to the front of the locker behind the driver's seat and turn it through 90 degrees so that it sits laterally across the locker, there is space for two bagged Duvalays placed alongside each other, one slightly on top of the other, between the battery box and the electrics with space to spare.  You could probably fit your pillows in there in a Broadway which has a longer locker than the Nuevo.  That said, you should keep the ventilation grill clear on the front of the EC700.

Last edited by Caraman on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:40 am

We took a more radical approach. I loved tour Symbol, all except the bed. I got fed up with poor sleep as no matter how I arranged the cushions or oriented ourselves it was never comfortable. Tried Duvalay  better, but still a faff and storage became a problem. In the end we swapped to an Adria twin with a fixed bed (it lifts for access) and a lovely thick mattress. Bliss. I now sleep better than at home. Lots I miss about the Symbol, but not enough to go back.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:38 am

making up beds, and the extra storage requirements for bedding and one's personal 'faff threshold' will always be weighed against (sometimes perceived) extra living space. just another of this hobby's polarising decisions.
we had a side sofa lounge van, our first one, but the first lengthy excursion into Europe for several weeks soon had us checking out the showrooms for something with a decent bed and the storage gained.
its a connundrum that sofa/beds have less storage (batteries, pumps, PSUs all in the way) but the requirement is higher, for all that bedding....yet fixed beds easily accommodate all that bedding (it stays on the bed) and provide great storage but the requirement isnt so great...
in the end, as MM mentions above, it probably boils down to whether you want to sleep on a sofa (and use sheets/duvets or sleeping bags (former can be a faff, weve done it, the latter never going to be an option) or a bed (which can also be a great place for one or both to lounge or use as a day bed)..
these days, innovative design sometimes means you can have both...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next