The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton,

+3
Peter Brown
gemdeco
Boggie
7 posters

Go down

Bourton, Empty Bourton,

Post by Boggie Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:55 pm

Hi, I’ve just taken delivery of our 2019 Bourton earlier this week, and whilst it is on my drive, I’m finding how things in the drivers area work, particularly the multi media system.
I thought I was pretty savvy when it comes to setting up in car entertainment, I have a Jaguar E-pace which is pretty intuitive and very easy to use. However I just cannot get my head around tuning the radio on the Merc. All I get is static, and sometimes just a hint of a radio station in there somewhere.
Although we bought only 40 miles away, it could be that some station frequencies are different, but I have  manually searched everywhere between 88 to 91 FM to try and get at least radio 2 without success.

Am I missing something? Is there somewhere on the system settings that will initiate a full scan of available stations? The instruction book is full of so called helpful symbols but they don’t seem to help. Any advice welcome.
Here’s a photo of it on our drive, We are so looking forward to getting away in it next month!

?[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Bourton, Empty Re: Bourton,

Post by gemdeco Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:43 pm

Hi
     My radio self seeks and tunes in with no problems,I would have thought you have an aerial connection problem. I presume you have an aerial antenna mounted on the roof.I presume it is a facelift sprinter 
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggie Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi Alan,
I think you could be right, but I'm not sure how to access the radio receiver as it may not be in the conventional  place behind the screen. Do you know how the antenna fixes to the roof to check the connection with the cable?
Cheers
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi
    Your installation is different to mine, I think I can just make out your radio aerial on the left of the picture The aerial usually unscrews I would check for any corrosion there first, unfortunately any other connections will be under the trim.
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggie Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi Alan,
I got rhe stepladders out this morning and checked the screw in antenna. After cleaning the contact in the base of the hole there was an improvement but not much. This makes me think it is definitely the antenna.
Still a lot of hissing, and unable to search because no reception. I sprayed some silicone  and this chased out some water indicating that water ingress may have damaged something inside The base. 
Should the small contact plate at the bottom of the scew hole be spring loaded? It looks too deep for the screw in antenna to make contact.
Back to the dealer tomorrow for their people to look at it. I'll report later on their findings
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:38 pm

If you unclip the interior light in the cab you should be able to find a connection between the aerial and the downlead up there, you might have to fiddle about in insulation to find it. AS cut the lead there when the cut the metal top off the chassis cab and then reconnect when the conversion is added.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Boggie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:59 pm

I've just remembered that there used to be an probably still is a head amplifier at the aerial and power to that needs to have been reconnected. It takes its negative connection through the braid of the aerial co-ax. 12v is applied when the set is switched on.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ericshaw Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:31 pm

Hi , I collected my new Merc Bourton last July and after I got home I thought I would tune in the DAB radio . No joy !! Phoned Nick Whale the dealer , not our problem see Merc . Merc replaced the complete radio , the complete works , 24 hr software download from Germany later guess what no radio !! Now back to Nick Whale they removed internal o/s/f cupboard to reveal inner aerial fitting and cables . No faults , no radio !! After removal of more trim and drivers seat it was revealed the cables coming down from the roof had not been connected by Autosleeper so no radio , sat nav. or anything else . This took 2 months and guess what ... crap radio no FM .
I fitted a better aerial from a Toyota which scewed on but still no FM better DAB but not really any good .
We now motor along with no radio I've given up !!!
Good luck with yours  smile!  Eric Shaw
ericshaw
ericshaw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:38 pm

Hopefully its no longer the same but in our 2011 Mercedes Malvern the power supply for the Veba reversing camera/monitor was in the cab roof alongside the aerial downlead and the interference it caused swamped the signal in the aerial downlead. The eventual work round was to install a switch adjacent to the gear selector to allow the power to be removed from the reversing system except when needed.

A friend has a 2017 Bourton, uses the radio all the time and has never has a problem.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggie Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:10 pm

Hi Peter, Eric,
I took it back to Oaktree Motorhomes this am and one of their technicians recleaned the socket where the flexi antenna screws in, and  checked /remade the connection behind the interior light. When The radio was turned on a whole list of stations  appeared without any input and it plays without hissing. He did explain that there will still be occasional drop outs cos its digital, but it looks like a good result........so far. Fingers crossed!
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Peter Brown and gemdeco like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragman Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi Boggie,
Glad you got sorted.
I am due to take delivery of a new Bourton in April & couldn't help noticing the mirror protectors you have.
Could you please give me details so that I can check them out with a view to purchase?
Thanks in advance
Ragman
Ragman
Ragman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : POTENTIAL BOURTON
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Lainie Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 pm

Hi, I have also noted your mirror protectors and would like to know where they are from. Only today I have had to return some stainless steel mirror protectors because they don’t fit our 2019 Bourton when stated that they would! We had Mirror Guards on our previous Peugeot Motorhome but they don’t make them for the Merc.
I really would like to get some. We are also waiting on delivery of a walkthrough rubber cab mat, but that’s another story!! 😡
Lainie
Lainie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lainie Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:27 pm

Update I have done some research and think the mirror protectors are these: 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Shame everything is so expensive £214.80. 🙈
Lainie
Lainie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggie Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi Laine,
Like you my wife would like a “walkthrough” cab mat over the original carpets, she feels that it adds to the insulation of the cab area, making the front end of the motorhome feel warmer in chilly weather.
I have just made up a template for  awalk-through which finishes level with the rear edge of the seat bases and sent it to Car Mats UK based in Mansfield, I should be getting a price from them soon and will post the price info when I get it.
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lainie Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi Boggie,
We had a full walkthrough cab carpet in ours (see photo) but are changing it for a 5mm rubber walkthrough mat because we found in our last Motorhome that the cab mat got grubby in bad weather. We are awaiting delivery of the rubber mat as despite ordering on the 22nd it was not sent to be made until the 31st after I chased it up. We will wait to see if it eventually arrives![You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Lainie
Lainie

Female

Boggie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Stephens Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Fellow AS owners, we purchased our Malvern in Nov 20 and from driving home we had no DAB radio to speak of, only one or two channels or the radio failing after a sentence. So AS dealer x 2 visits plus other issues to rectify, no improvement made on the radio front so a email to AS a Mr Tombs and also MB for recalls so thought we’d ask for their help whilst there. MB fully checked everything they could check whilst not infringing on warranty, but did reach what they thought would be the problem which is that on the Mercedes models AS don’t fit a large enough earth plate for the radio aerial connection and also possibly add a booster as well. So back to AS dealers x3 now and Mercedes were correct in their findings, but what really annoys us about it all never mind the 200 plus miles back and forth, it appears that AS know they have this issue the MB models but unless the customers make a fuss they just don’t bother with a rectification so I was told when picking up my now fully functioning radio all done under warranty.
Mark Stephens
Mark Stephens

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 pm

Mark Stephens wrote:Fellow AS owners, we purchased our Malvern in Nov 20 and from driving home we had no DAB radio to speak of, only one or two channels or the radio failing after a sentence. So AS dealer x 2 visits plus other issues to rectify, no improvement made on the radio front so a email to AS a Mr Tombs and also MB for recalls so thought we’d ask for their help whilst there. MB fully checked everything they could check whilst not infringing on warranty, but did reach what they thought would be the problem which is that on the Mercedes models AS don’t fit a large enough earth plate for the radio aerial connection and also possibly add a booster as well. So back to AS dealers x3 now and Mercedes were correct in their findings, but what really annoys us about it all never mind the 200 plus miles back and forth, it appears that AS know they have this issue the MB models but unless the customers make a fuss they just don’t bother with a rectification so I was told when picking up my now fully functioning radio all done under warranty.

Can I suggest that you repost this in the Technical Chat forum with an appropriate title as many will miss it in this thread about Bourton.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down