The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Habitation lights

+7
Paulmold
Spospe
marconi
Tinwheeler
steamdrivenandy
Cymro
Briskbay25
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Habitation lights  Empty Habitation lights

Post by Briskbay25 Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:54 pm

Hi there
My first time on a forum and I’ve been meaning to join for ages. I’m a widow who spent time living in a caravan in Australia when my husband and I lived there. After he passed away, two years ago I bought a 2002 Ravenna and have slowly learned about it from you tube and through trial and error.
I’m pretty handy with a lot of things - but the electrics have me fooled! In addition I live in Shetland where we don’t have a dedicated repair place for Motorhomes etc. (At least I haven’t found anywhere yet)
None of my habitation lights are working. They worked perfectly before the winter and I found out when I went to check everything over ready for this year. I’ve checked fuses, the leisure battery is fine, all the sockets, the heater, the water pump, the fridge, the cooker ignition are all working. The only thing I’m not on top of is the fridge on 12v just because I haven’t needed to use it - the fridge is fine on mains.
Excuse me if any of these are silly questions but where do I go from here? Are they like Christmas tree lights? Could one of the bulbs have gone? Could there just be a break in the connection somewhere, if so how the heck do I check when the wires are behind walls? If I was to take it to someone to look at- should it be an electrician or a garage?
I’d appreciate any help - I’m determined to learn as much as I can but electric stuff totally eludes me no matter how many videos I watch!
Thanks
Briskbay25
Briskbay25

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Habitation lights  Empty Re: Habitation lights

Post by Cymro Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:12 pm

Welcome to the Forum! You'll find that it's indeed friendly, and is an indispensable treasure trove of information. It soon becomes addictive!

I am not familiar with a Ravenna (but no doubt others who are will soon contribute to this thread). You've already done all the normal checks (fuses etc) but the fact that all 4 are not illuminated makes me wonder whether - for example - they only illuminate when the ignition is on, or when the headlights are on? 

I'm sure that one of our expert members will soon help.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:24 pm

The habitation lights will be powered by the 12V leisure battery which will be charged by the engine and by the 240V hook up, when connected. 
So, first things first, have you switched the 12V on? The only other things that run on 12V are the tap water pump and the toilet water pump, if your system has a separate one. 
Second thing - if the 12V is switched on. Have you run the van on a regular basis over winter., or kept the batteries charged via EHU or removed the batteries and kept them charged in a garage or elsewhere? An unused battery will lose its charge, especially in cold weather. A combination of no charge and cold weather can kill a battery so that it can no longer hold a charge. So you may need a new leisure battery.
When you tried the water pump and it worked, was the van connected to an EHU, because it's possible the 12V charger was sending out enough power for the pump to work, but not the lights?
The fridge will only work on 12V with the engine running, it cannot use 12V in any other circumstance. When pitched the options for the fridge are gas or 240V hook up.
If you need a professional then you need an auto electrician. They sometimes trade on their own or can work for garages or caravan/motorhome dealers.
HTH
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Shetland - lucky you. Our last proper holiday pre-covid was to Shetland and Orkney.

You're getting good advice from folk here and there's nothing I can add but I hope you get sorted.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:10 pm

Cymro wrote:Welcome to the Forum! You'll find that it's indeed friendly, and is an indispensable treasure trove of information. It soon becomes addictive!

I am not familiar with a Ravenna (but no doubt others who are will soon contribute to this thread). You've already done all the normal checks (fuses etc) but the fact that all 4 are not illuminated makes me wonder whether - for example - they only illuminate when the ignition is on, or when the headlights are on? 

I'm sure that one of our expert members will soon help.

Cymro
What an idiot I am!  Just realised that you were referring (quite clearly!) to the habitation lights, not to the 4 outside marker lights...  ! 

One other possibility is that there is a master switch for the habitation lights, and that has been turned off. Not all AS have them as separate switches (more recent vans have a 12v power switch / button as part of the control panel). But my Clubman, for example, had a All-Habitation-Lights-off / on switch near the bed, whereby to turn them off without having to get out of bed.  Any chance yours has such a switch?

Cymto
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

steamdrivenandy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:17 pm

Briskbay25 wrote:Hi there
My first time on a forum and I’ve been meaning to join for ages. I’m a widow who spent time living in a caravan in Australia when my husband and I lived there. After he passed away, two years ago I bought a 2002 Ravenna and have slowly learned about it from you tube and through trial and error.
I’m pretty handy with a lot of things - but the electrics have me fooled! In addition I live in Shetland where we don’t have a dedicated repair place for Motorhomes etc. (At least I haven’t found anywhere yet)
None of my habitation lights are working. They worked perfectly before the winter and I found out when I went to check everything over ready for this year. I’ve checked fuses, the leisure battery is fine, all the sockets, the heater, the water pump, the fridge, the cooker ignition are all working. The only thing I’m not on top of is the fridge on 12v just because I haven’t needed to use it - the fridge is fine on mains.
Excuse me if any of these are silly questions but where do I go from here? Are they like Christmas tree lights? Could one of the bulbs have gone? Could there just be a break in the connection somewhere, if so how the heck do I check when the wires are behind walls? If I was to take it to someone to look at- should it be an electrician or a garage?
I’d appreciate any help - I’m determined to learn as much as I can but electric stuff totally eludes me no matter how many videos I watch!
Thanks

Are sure sure you have found all the fuses. No they are not like Christmas tree lights

If all the Habitation lights are not working, and you have checked the Leisure Battery it doesn't sound too much of a problem. Do you have a multimeter to check Voltages. What Electrics do you have any details would be helpful, as would a Ravenna owner popping up on here.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Habitation lights  Empty Thanks

Post by Briskbay25 Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks to all for your welcome. Hope I’m replying correctly, can’t see how to reply to a specific person but anyway....

To steamdrivenandy. Yes the 12v is on, the charge on the leisure battery seems fine.
What is an EHU?

marconi- what do you mean by ‘what electrics do you have’ - sorry if that seems rude but this is what I mean about not understanding these things. Aargh  shrugg I have bought a multimeter and did think I should check if there is power going to the lights but there doesn’t seem to be - the multimeter is another thing that’s beyond me

Cymro - I don’t think there is another on/off switch besides the one on the main panel- haven’t seen one in 2 years but I will check in case it’s something I’ve missed! 

I think in the end I’ll try to find a friendly auto electrician who doesn’t mind lots of questions. Thanks for all your help though. I’ll keep you updated.
Briskbay25
Briskbay25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Briskbay25 wrote:
What is an EHU?

marconi- what do you mean by ‘what electrics do you have’ - sorry if that seems rude but this is what I mean about not understanding these things. Aargh  shrugg I have bought a multimeter and did think I should check if there is power going to the lights but there doesn’t seem to be - the multimeter is another thing that’s beyond me

I think in the end I’ll try to find a friendly auto electrician who doesn’t mind lots of questions. Thanks for all your help though. I’ll keep you updated.
EHU is Electric Hook Up, (Plugged into the mains). But I think that is not relevant to to your problem.

Electrics, what make is the Main Panel does it have any identification. Some panels have trips which go wrong I don't have much information from the era.

Yes. I bet there are some very versatile auto electricians around there who could crack it pretty easily. 

We won't give up on someone who knows the Ravenna coming up yet though.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:18 pm

For professional help, try:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

or

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:39 pm

Briskbay, I recall seeing a weekend gathering of caravans and motorhomes at Delting Marina, Brae. They seemed to be a local group who met up for weekend get togethers so they must use a local repairer/servicing technician. 

Perhaps, when you see a van parked at someone's house, a cheeky knock on the door with a polite question or two might get you some info as to who to contact.

NB. If you want to quote a particular post in your reply, click on the Quote box in that post and it will appear in a yellow box in your reply. Type your words immediately below that box.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:46 pm

Is there a switch just inside the door? A lot of vans have such a switch , like a master switch to turn just the lights off. You can switch lights off as you leave the van and if you return in the dark then this switch can turn them on before you actually  enter the van. Is it possible  this has been turned off and simply needs switching on again.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:45 am

Briskbay25 wrote: Could one of the bulbs have gone? Could there just be a break in the connection somewhere, if so how the heck do I check when the wires are behind walls? 

I see no overnight takers from Ravenna owners. 

Yes the cables do disappear in the walls but they don't often fail in there, they will pop out at the Control Unit , Switches and Lights where they can be seen. One further thing I know has happened is the Negative lead connecting point has corroded or become loose, this would effect all lights on the same switch and is something to bear in mind.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Briskbay25 Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:46 am

marconi wrote:
Briskbay25 wrote:
What is an EHU?

EHU is Electric Hook Up, (Plugged into the mains). But I think that is not relevant to to your problem.

Electrics, what make is the Main Panel does it have any identification. Some panels have trips which go wrong I don't have much information from the era.

Yes. I bet there are some very versatile auto electricians around there who could crack it pretty easily. 

We won't give up on someone who knows the Ravenna coming up yet though.
Thanks Marconi. I’ll have a look and see any identification
Briskbay25
Briskbay25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Briskbay25 Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 am

Paulmold wrote:Is there a switch just inside the door? A lot of vans have such a switch , like a master switch to turn just the lights off. You can switch lights off as you leave the van and if you return in the dark then this switch can turn them on before you actually  enter the van. Is it possible  this has been turned off and simply needs switching on again.
Hi- thank you. I haven’t noticed one but I’ll check  up!
Briskbay25
Briskbay25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:22 am

Briskbay25 wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Is there a switch just inside the door? A lot of vans have such a switch , like a master switch to turn just the lights off. You can switch lights off as you leave the van and if you return in the dark then this switch can turn them on before you actually  enter the van. Is it possible  this has been turned off and simply needs switching on again.
Hi- thank you. I haven’t noticed one but I’ll check  up!

That master switch for the 12v interior lights (if fitted) can also be found conveniently close to one end or other of the bed, so that you don't have to get out of bed to turn off all the interior lights.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:08 am

I had my Amethyst for some time before I found the "night switch". Mine is hidden by the curtain next to the Worktop over the fridge and I always use the blinds not the curtain. In fact it was my granddaughter playing in the motorhome who found it

Some of the builds seem to be personal to the individual assembler in the factory so these things can be a bit variable.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by dancinmick Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:48 am

We have a 2002 Ravenna.  You probably already know this but just in case.  The control panel containing masterswitch and isolation switches for pump, lights etc is on the outside wall of the wardrobe towards the rear of the habitation area.  Inside the wardrobe on the wall towards the front of the van is a circuit breaker box.  In the past I have inadvertently knocked one of these switches (up or down) rendering some electrics inoperable until the mistake is realised often some hours!  It might be worth checking these.  Good luck and what a wonderful van you have. smile!
dancinmick
dancinmick

Male

Member Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by seangaughan Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:19 pm

Does anyone know if there is a hidden 12v on-off switch on the Autosleeper Pollensa 2002? - I have lost a 12v power to all  lights etc and checked all batteries and fuses. There is a single  switch inside the rear door but this makes no difference.
seangaughan
seangaughan

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:57 pm

When you say all lights etc, does the 'etc' mean the other hab 12V items such as the pump, fridge ignition on gas, 12V sockets are also not working or do you just mean the lights?

I have a 2002 Pollensa and on mine there is no hidden switch nor one at the rear door (apart from the one with the built in step light). The only switches I have are on the panel over the forward facing seat with access to the rear in the wardrobe. This includes a master rocker switch for all of the hab 12V, below the battery voltage/water level meter. Then there are two rows of three red rocker switches - on the top row 1 is the hab lights, 2 is the pump and 3 is the * Inappropriate Word * ignition. I don't know what the lower row switches do, if anything, I've never had cause to check.  Note that these switches are the opposite from usual, i.e push the top for On and the bottom for Off. I haven't had the cover inside the wardrobe off for years, since I connected a spare 12V socket in the wardrobe to charge the vacuum cleaner, so I can't remember what fuses etc might be in there?

There is also a switch on the Zig 12V supply/leisure battery charger, accessible through a round hole with a plastic cap in the wardrobe floor, with a green LED to indicate On.

Under the driver's seat by the leisure battery is a block of fuses and two relays - one to connect the fridge to the alternator/engine battery only when the ignition is on and the other to disconnect the hab 12V also when the ignition is on. You say you've checked all the fuses, have you checked the relays?

I can't think of anything else that might cause all of your 12V lights to fail.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by Briskbay25 Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:57 pm

dancinmick wrote:We have a 2002 Ravenna.  You probably already know this but just in case.  The control panel containing masterswitch and isolation switches for pump, lights etc is on the outside wall of the wardrobe towards the rear of the habitation area.  Inside the wardrobe on the wall towards the front of the van is a circuit breaker box.  In the past I have inadvertently knocked one of these switches (up or down) rendering some electrics inoperable until the mistake is realised often some hours!  It might be worth checking these.  Good luck and what a wonderful van you have. smile!
Yup! Checked those! But thanks - and yes it’s a great van for me and the three dogs- they all have their own space on the seats!
Briskbay25
Briskbay25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Briskbay25 Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:04 pm

rogerblack wrote:When you say all lights etc, does the 'etc' mean the other hab 12V items such as the pump, fridge ignition on gas, 12V sockets are also not working or do you just mean the lights?

I have a 2002 Pollensa and on mine there is no hidden switch nor one at the rear door (apart from the one with the built in step light). The only switches I have are on the panel over the forward facing seat with access to the rear in the wardrobe. This includes a master rocker switch for all of the hab 12V, below the battery voltage/water level meter. Then there are two rows of three red rocker switches - on the top row 1 is the hab lights, 2 is the pump and 3 is the * Inappropriate Word * ignition. I don't know what the lower row switches do, if anything, I've never had cause to check.  Note that these switches are the opposite from usual, i.e push the top for On and the bottom for Off. I haven't had the cover inside the wardrobe off for years, since I connected a spare 12V socket in the wardrobe to charge the vacuum cleaner, so I can't remember what fuses etc might be in there?

There is also a switch on the Zig 12V supply/leisure battery charger, accessible through a round hole with a plastic cap in the wardrobe floor, with a green LED to indicate On.

Under the driver's seat by the leisure battery is a block of fuses and two relays - one to connect the fridge to the alternator/engine battery only when the ignition is on and the other to disconnect the hab 12V also when the ignition is on. You say you've checked all the fuses, have you checked the relays?

I can't think of anything else that might cause all of your 12V lights to fail.
Hi
Thank you - sounds identical to my switch panel. Same here- no idea what the bottom row of switches does!
One thing I haven’t found is a switch on the Zig 12v charger so I’ll have a look at that.
I’ve found the fuses and relays under the seat - fuses are fine, need to check the relays.

It’s all the lights that are off, on both 12v and EHU - but everything else is on on both 12v and EHU and on gas - It’s very strange - various neighbours and I have tried to brainstorm but no luck yet.

Thanks for the input 👍
Briskbay25
Briskbay25

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by seangaughan Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi Roger
Many Thanks for your detailed reply.  I've looked at the points which you mention ---it appears that no 2 Pollensas are the same - although I note that yours is a Boxer body whereas mine is a Transit (2002). Still I expect the operating principles are the same.
1.When I say my lights etc are not working, yes I mean all habitaton equipment...incl.hab  lights, pump and fridge ignition on gas.  The hab equipment all works fine on EHU when the switch is ON at the under-wardrobe Zig 12vsupply /battery charger unit which you mention , and the battery-select switch on the Zig panel is set to HAB.
2. I have replaced the 3 fuses in the fuseblock beside the leisure battery - I see that there is only one  relay there-- which I haven't tested yet-- is it possible that this could be stuck in the OFF position regardless of whether the van Ignition is on or off? 
The Zig panel does not in fact have a master rocker switch for all of the hab 12v ...it has the 2 rows of the other switches which you mention ok.
The leisure battery shows a full charge on both the Zig panel and on my RING battery charger...so Looks like its down to the relay ??? Ill try a replacement relay there ...will let you know the outcome.

Hi BRISKBAY25....re the box which converts EHU mains electricity to 12v , mine as Roger said  is underneath the floor of the wardrobe and the ON-OFF switch is on the top of this box - your habitation lights should work ok when this switch is ON and you connect to mains electricity (EHU).....providing all other and EHU switches are in the ON position.    Of course this does not solve the 12v problem smile!
PS    Anyone know Is it possible to attach pictures to our messages on this forum website here?
seangaughan
seangaughan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by seangaughan Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:05 pm

BRISKBAY25.........I just read over your post again there...I see that  its ONLY your hab lights that dont work....,On my Zig panel there are 2 unmarked switches which control the habitation lights...both roof lights and any smaller spotlights, right and left sides.  Try switching on a hab light  ...at the light itself ...and then switching various switches on the Zig panel on and off ....to see if this will persuade your hab lights to work.
Sean

Last edited by seangaughan on Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo error)
seangaughan
seangaughan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:15 pm

More importantly Sean's post point to a single device that could affect a group of lights.

That is where I would start, remove the switch and see if there is any power at that position.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:27 pm

seangaughan wrote: is it possible that this could be stuck in the OFF position regardless of whether the van Ignition is on or off? 

Yes, in fact the relay contacts may be burnt out, not an unusual occurrence.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next