The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round the bend, or the definitive optimist?

+6
Heanorboy
daisy mae
frederic
mcalid
inspiredron
Gromit
10 posters

Go down

Round the bend, or the definitive optimist? Empty Round the bend, or the definitive optimist?

Post by Gromit Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:46 pm

Well, what do members think - I can take it!!

My ACSI books arrived this morning.

Optimism or just plain daft??  scratch head
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Round the bend, or the definitive optimist? Empty Re: Round the bend, or the definitive optimist?

Post by inspiredron Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:00 pm

I cancelled mine or they would have arrived around Christmas.  If optimism rules then I can get some in a month or two. I've also cancelled Club ACSI.

eE do have bookings for Scotland in June though if THAT WOMAN permits it. But what a pan to have to book sites! censored!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Round the bend, or the definitive optimist? Empty Re: Round the bend, or the definitive optimist?

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 pm

Had ours a few weeks back..in fairness, we haven't used them in the last few years as much as in others..why?...because we have done a few long tours of Spain/Portugal and were recommended some sites.
This was mixed with plenty of 'impromptu' stopping which turned out to be the most enjoyable element, nipping into places we might have driven by.
Either way, for the €16 or so, it's hardly an issue.
Regarding 'optimism'...we've booked some UK stays but if by back end of July or into August 'things' appear stable then we will probably get back to one of our favourite sites in Le Sud...but we won't need the book for that, we already know it well.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Round the bend, or the definitive optimist? Empty That Woman.

Post by mcalid Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 am

inspiredron wrote:I cancelled mine or they would have arrived around Christmas.  If optimism rules then I can get some in a month or two. I've also cancelled Club ACSI.

eE do have bookings for Scotland in June though if THAT WOMAN permits it. But what a pan to have to book sites! censored!
Sorry to read that you disagree with "That Woman" who has kept Scotland's infection rate the lowest in the UK.
On the day of the original lockdown I was travelling south from Skye and I have never witnessed such an evacuation of units fleeing North on the A9 although they would have been disappointed to find every site closed.
Why didn't they take THAT MAN'S advice and stay at home instead of possibly spreading the virus all over the UK.
If you don't like our First Minister then stay away, I'm sure we'll manage without you.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

BobK, groundhog, frederic, Slaphead, Weegie and Slow-Lane like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:54 pm

Same down here in Galloway at Xmas perhaps it was that that sent us stratospheric in the covid charts??
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:46 pm

To us English  that woman seems more focus in going it alone than staying as the uk, wonder where she thinks the money is coming from, think folk will have a rude awaking if they do.

If scots want to go it alone so be it, but don`t expect us to pay for it.

We wouldn`t go anywhere we are not welcomed.

We can be proud in this country at the way the vaccines have gone , we are the envy of Germany and France.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Silver Tourist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Without getting political maybe just maybe the  "evacuation of units fleeing North" were people who had already headed south to open sites and now had to get back home.
scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:37 pm

daisy mae wrote:To us English  that woman seems more focus in going it alone than staying as the uk, wonder where she thinks the money is coming from, think folk will have a rude awaking if they do.

If scots want to go it alone so be it, but don`t expect us to pay for it.

We wouldn`t go anywhere we are not welcomed.

We can be proud in this country at the way the vaccines have gone , we are the envy of Germany and France.
 Sorry Daisy Mae, I don't know where you get your facts on the economy. We in Scotland contribute more per head to the UK exchequer than every part of England except London and a small part of the SE.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

BobK and Slaphead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:13 pm

I should imagine that if a small country like the Rep of Ireland can thrive and have a standard of living equal to or better than the UK, then Scotland should have no bother if it ever went independent.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Slaphead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:58 pm

As a Southerner, I'll respect the wishes of the people of Scotland, whatever they decide.

Please don't let this thread turn into another one like all the Brexit ones. I don't think anyone will benefit if it does!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

mikethebike, brodco, rogerblack, Gromit, Askit, mcalid and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:07 am

Surely all the adverts on TV for holidays abroad are a similar sign of madness or misplaced optimism. With so many variables how do people even think of booking.

Will we still have reducing infections after lockdown to make us welcome abroad.
Will the destinations continue to be safe or
Will the destination end up on the red list needing isolation on return

Holidays are nice but are they needed? Relaxation is a state of mind not a place.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:53 am

HairyFool wrote:Surely all the adverts on TV for holidays abroad are a similar sign of madness or misplaced optimism. With so many variables how do people even think of booking.

Will we still have reducing infections after lockdown to make us welcome abroad.
Will the destinations continue to be safe or
Will the destination end up on the red list needing isolation on return

Holidays are nice but are they needed? Relaxation is a state of mind not a place.

I think the TV adverts, coupled with alleged booking rates, are an attempt by companies to bring in some income. We've been getting regular emails from a company that sells cabin holidays (which we last used 15 years ago) offering discounts on immediate bookings despite it being against the law to use them. The news over the weekend of Countries saying they welcome vaccinated British tourists is no surprise. The financial reliance on tourism in these places means they would welcome residents of the Planet Zog (suitably vaccinated of course) if it brought in revenue.

To be honest, I have no appetite to even think about holidaying in the UK never mind abroad.

Donator
Donator

Male

bikeralw likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:14 am

Especially after the debacle in George Sq. last night  up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 am

Askit wrote: Sorry Daisy Mae, I don't know where you get your facts on the economy. We in Scotland contribute more per head to the UK exchequer than every part of England except London and a small part of the SE.
Sorry Askit but you are not seeking to leave the Union from the Southeast but from the entire UK

The 2018 GDP For the UK as a whole was £32000, for Scotland £29,660

Curiously since Brexit was enacted Scotland has seen greater growth than most of the UK, i.e. Brexit has been better for Scotland.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:33 pm

HairyFool wrote:
Askit wrote: Sorry Daisy Mae, I don't know where you get your facts on the economy. We in Scotland contribute more per head to the UK exchequer than every part of England except London and a small part of the SE.
Sorry Askit but you are not seeking to leave the Union from the Southeast but from the entire UK

The 2018 GDP For the UK as a whole was £32000, for Scotland £29,660

Curiously since Brexit was enacted Scotland has seen greater growth than most of the UK, i.e. Brexit has been better for Scotland.

Yes, the little games that are played with figures. We've been asked not to get into political debate, so I won't.

Donator
Donator

Male

Slaphead and mcalid like this post

Back to top Go down